What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this our best team in 20 years ?

Avenger

Immortal
Is this current team our best since 2001?
I think statistically at least it may be.

I think it’s our most balanced team even though I think the 2005 and 2007 teams had more talent and were more experienced.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think the 2005 team was better. But this is the best since then, and has more recent big game experience. In 2005 we had missed the finals for two years straight.

emjaycee

Coach

2005 Squad

1626580018857.png

2021 Squad​

1626580091977.png

Pretty hard to split as the game is also a little bit different, but interesting to note similar average age (2021 would be younger if JArthur and Emu were actually born).

strider

Post Whore
Theres been alot of lean years, so its not hard to be right up there.

I too would say 2005 was probably better. There were threats all across the field. Where as i would say our 2,3,4,5 is fairly average atm - not bad, but not particularly good.

emjaycee

Coach
Theres been alot of lean years, so its not hard to be right up there.

I too would say 2005 was probably better. There were threats all across the field. Where as i would say our 2,3,4,5 is fairly average atm - not bad, but not particularly good.
From the 2005 squad, I would put Tahu and EGJ in for Opa and Haze but is Reddy better than either Waqa or Opa and is Burt better than Sivo?

strider

Post Whore
From the 2005 squad, I would put Tahu and EGJ in for Opa and Haze but is Reddy better than either Waqa or Opa and is Burt better than Sivo?
Green and Gold Joel ... ffs, wash your mouth out.

I would say Joel is quite similar to Opa. And Joels peak (which prob wasnt 2005) is better than Opa, but Opa is not over.

Burt. Yes i would say better than Sivo .... vastly different, and different playing styles then and now, so not really a direct comparison ... but yeah i would say burt was better.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So our big games experience is nearly identical between '05 and '21 (117 vs 113 games), though across more players (16 to 19):

2005 squad:
PlayerFinals + Origin experience
Hindmarsh18
Vella18
Tahu14
Wagon12
Cayless11
Marsh9
Robinson9
Burt7
Morrison5
Riddell5
Morris2
Peek2
Widders2
Grothe1
Petersen1
Stringer1

2021 squad:
Ferguson22
Paulo13
Nrown8
Blake7
Campbell-Gillard7
Gutherson7
Matterson7
Moses7
Lane6
Smith6
Drown4
Cartwright4
Mahoney4
Niukore3
Sivo3
Stone2
Dunster1
Opacic1
Papali'i1

A few interesting points emerge from comparing these teams though:
The 2005 team had nearly all of their big game experience in their top 17, whereas nearly one fifth of ours is with Ferguson, who might not even play in the finals. However, the 2005 team had only two game's worth of finals/Origin experience in their halves+fullback, though Marsh/Riddell had 14 games between them. At least our main playmakers Moses and Gutherson have seven games each.

IFR33K

Coach
Is this current team our best since 2001?
I think statistically at least it may be.

I think it’s our most balanced team even though I think the 2005 and 2007 teams had more talent and were more experienced.

This team is very good, but hard to go past the 05 team considering they won the MP. The 09 team also needs to be considered because of their achievements. They should of had a premiership…

84 Baby

Referee
Anyway I’d rank it equal 3rd with 07.
2005 and 2001 were clearly better.
But the better question is is this years squad better than 2016, 2017, 2019 and/or 2020?

Eelementary

Post Whore
On paper, the 2005 was the best team we've had since the 80's, and is slightly ahead of our 2021 team for two main reasons, imo:

* halves that created a million tries between them; and

* big, fast, powerful backs like Tahu, Smith, and Grothe.

I think our backs are powerful, but not quick.

And our halves are inconsistent.

Not only did Tim Smith have 40 try assists in 2005, but he had loads of goal-line drop-outs, too.

Moses and Brown are very talented, but very inconsistent.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Moses and Brown are very talented, but very inconsistent.

I think Dylbags will become more consistent, he's only 20 so he's no where near the finished product

I really think its too early to judge him but that try on Friday night should give him heaps of confidence to take the line on a lot more

Avenger

Immortal
So our big games experience is nearly identical between '05 and '21 (117 vs 113 games), though across more players (16 to 19):

2005 squad:
Hindmarsh18
Vella18
Tahu14
Wagon12
Cayless11
Marsh9
Robinson9
Burt7
Morrison5
Riddell5
Morris2
Peek2
Widders2
Grothe1
Petersen1
Stringer1

2021 squad:
Ferguson22
Paulo13
Nrown8
Blake7
Campbell-Gillard7
Gutherson7
Matterson7
Moses7
Lane6
Smith6
Drown4
Cartwright4
Mahoney4
Niukore3
Sivo3
Stone2
Dunster1
Opacic1
Papali'i1

A few interesting points emerge from comparing these teams though:
The 2005 team had nearly all of their big game experience in their top 17, whereas nearly one fifth of ours is with Ferguson, who might not even play in the finals. However, the 2005 team had only two game's worth of finals/Origin experience in their halves+fullback, though Marsh/Riddell had 14 games between them. At least our main playmakers Moses and Gutherson have seven games each.
You are a bit of an apologist but I’d still
prefer to be stuck in the desert with you however you are without doubt one of the best posters here. Great effort Pou.

yy_cheng

Coach
watching Tit's game, I think Dylbags didn't do too bad.

I think some games, they should let Dylbags be the half or the game manager (general kicker as well) and moses play the leulai role.

This could even be in games where we are ahead by a fair bit.

That will only make us more dangerous come finals time.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Can’t go past our 2013 squad
Ricky Stuart reacts while coaching Parramatta - ABC News (Australian  Broadcasting Corporation)