What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this rookie already the best centre in the NRL ?

Usain Bolt

Bench
Hurrell is shocking on defense and he always seems to go down injured at least once a game like ala Josh Dugan and Matai

Aragorn

First Grade
20 yr old with the body of a 30 yr old. He'll be over the hill before he hits 25.

Hurrell's overweight, he needs to watch his weight or he will lose speed and be forced to play in the forwards.

Red Bear

Referee
Jamie Lyon is the best centre in the comp imo, Hurrell is looking the goods though.
Agreee with that, Lyon has been comfortably the best centre in the game this season (pity he wont play rep football)
20 yr old with the body of a 30 yr old. He'll be over the hill before he hits 25.
More like the body of a twenty year old, coming up against first grade footballers.

Hurrell is certainly promising, damaging with the ball, needs to work on defence but that generally comes with experience.

Iafeta

Referee
Hurrell is shocking on defense and he always seems to go down injured at least once a game like ala Josh Dugan and Matai

You're kidding, right? I thought he was fairly average defensively a couple of weeks ago, but in other games he's been surprisingly good. He did go off injured this week, but as I understand it he was cool to play on, the coach decided to rest him up... he'd already wracked up a hat-trick by then.

I think any comments on a first year player being the best at anything are over the top. That said, I haven't been as excited about a New Zealand halfback (Johnson) and a Warriors centre (Hurrell) since they came into the comp... in the case of Johnson, Stacey included. As I've said elsewhere, Reynolds get ROTY (halfbacks are a far greater likelihood of winning, plus he's a very very good player) but I wouldn't trade Konrad for any other rookie. The key for the Warriors, given they've gone through a bit of pain this year due to the inexperience, is to keep the cream of their U20s graduates at the club... I'd be starting the process ASAP and upgrading Johnson and Hurrell.

Iafeta

Referee
Hurrell's overweight, he needs to watch his weight or he will lose speed and be forced to play in the forwards.

I'd like to see his body fat index rating, he'd be easily in the top 3 at the Warriors I'd suggest. Don't confuse fat with muscle. I dare say the power he displays in running over blokes consistently suggests his body shape is fine... coupled with how he's gassed some pretty quick players on the outside as well.

On the comment that Jamie Lyon is the best centre, comfortably. Lyon's a class player. If Inglis was still playing centre he'd be comfortably ahead of Konrad as well. Konrad still is not the finished product given its only year 2 of playing rugby league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shows what talent there is in RU backs to be plundered and what unearthed talent there is in the Islands and PNG waiting for some decent scouting and development programmes.

It's all about opportunity, we had a kid in Perth, Curtis Rona who was a gun Union jnr player. Force were keeping a keen eye on him but then when we started our SG Ball team up he decided to give League a try. Had a great season in SG Ball, signed by Roosters, going well in Toyota cup and expected to make 1st grade soon. As I said all about opportunity!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpExK8nGmyo

I'd like to see his body fat index rating, he'd be easily in the top 3 at the Warriors I'd suggest. Don't confuse fat with muscle. I dare say the power he displays in running over blokes consistently suggests his body shape is fine... coupled with how he's gassed some pretty quick players on the outside as well.

Not confusing anything, he looks plump. He will have nothing against the better defensive teams, he had nothing against us this year.He needs to watch his weight or he will be another Idris.

I'm not saying he isn't a superstar in the making, just saying that he seems to be getting to bulky.

Iafeta

Referee
I'd hate for you to be the judge of anything. He is a national weighlifting champion in the open weight category :crazy:. Imagine if he wasn't plump :roll:

Weightlifters are generally plump.

Damo-2010-Games.jpg

Don't get mad because I'm making an observation, Idris was a junior discus champion.

Iafeta

Referee
I'm not getting mad, but it's one of the daftest observations I've seen on this board, and I've read plenty by that bunnieserp dunce... unfortunately you nearly scaled his levels. Cannot believe you've compared him to Jamal. Idris has man boobs. Konrad's built like granite. They are massively different body shapes and are in no way shape or form comparable.

justagamemate

Juniors
I was a bit skeptic he would turn out to be a Jacob Loko sort of player..size with not much else. But he certainly surprised me with his skill level. I would still have Gagai over him though.

I'm not getting mad, but it's one of the daftest observations I've seen on this board, and I've read plenty by that bunnieserp dunce... unfortunately you nearly scaled his levels. Cannot believe you've compared him to Jamal. Idris has man boobs. Konrad's built like granite. They are massively different body shapes and are in no way shape or form comparable.

He'll end up in the forward if he keeps bulking, I don't know what is so daft about that.

We've all seen Jamal's tits, Konrad could end up like that.

hitman82

Bench
You must be trolling, talking about Konrad Hurrell being overweight... the guy is a muscle bound freak, athletic, explosive and fast as f**k. There are many heavily muscled outside backs in the NRL. And he's not insanely huge anyway... 100kgs at 183cm is fairly standard.

miccle

Bench
He made his NRL debut in round 1 against Manly in Aukland. Aukland is also the birthplace of former Qld player Karmichael Hunt therefore he is a Queenslander.

Funny, I was sure Willie Mason was born in the same town, yet he pulled on a Blues jersey :sarcasm:

On Hurrell, definitely a huge talent. Best in the comp? Pffffffft. Takes more than a handful of good games and potential to be the best. Lyon has been the form centre of the comp for some time now, and there are a few big names behind him.

If you think there are 32 first choice centres in the comp, though, Konrad would be in the top 10 pretty easily for most people... myself included.