What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Trent Barrett coming home?

Mjab

Juniors
He seems to do a good job as an assistant, I dont know what the answer is though and whether its a good idea
He seemed to be a good attacking coach at panthers , but the dogs attack was crap maybe it was the cattle , unfortunately were worse than Dogs IMO

I do think that Nathan Brown has something to offer either in pathways and getting reserves to NRL standard or possibly as an assistant

gitano

Juniors
Head coach role?

So ruining two clubs as head coach not enough?

Come to think of, a HC role for Barrett would fantastic, but not with us.
He's a career coach. Did the right thing at Manly but undermined by the old man brigade.

And well, if you think Robinson or Bellamy could make that dogs side competitive, that says enough.

Maddragon99

Juniors
He seems to do a good job as an assistant, I dont know what the answer is though and whether its a good idea
He seemed to be a good attacking coach at panthers , but the dogs attack was crap maybe it was the cattle , unfortunately were worse than Dogs IMO

I do think that Nathan Brown has something to offer either in pathways and getting reserves to NRL standard or possibly as an assistant
I don’t see any harm in bringing Baz in as an assistant for 2023, honestly could it be any worse?

Trifili13

Juniors
He's a career coach. Did the right thing at Manly but undermined by the old man brigade.

And well, if you think Robinson or Bellamy could make that dogs side competitive, that says enough.
He's a career coach. That doesn't mean he can actually coach. All that means is he wants to coach as a career. I want to be a billionaire as a career, doesn't mean I will be. Are you confident he can turn our mob around given he has failed miserably at his 2 previous head coaching roles?

Gareth67

First Grade
This club is like watching re-runs of ‘ I Love Lucy ‘ - you know you are going to get a laugh out of the unbelievable situations that their sheer bluudy stupidity has created , but when is it all going to end ?

They stick their feet into one bog hole after another and yet still expect that the Dragons will be very competitive in the NRL .

Pay Griffin out - bring in a true premiership winning coach in Flanagan and that will lay a foundation for success .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
This club is like watching re-runs of ‘ I Love Lucy ‘ - you know you are going to get a laugh out of the unbelievable situations that their sheer bluudy stupidity has created , but when is it all going to end ?

They stick their feet into one bog hole after another and yet still expect that the Dragons will be very competitive in the NRL .

Pay Griffin out - bring in a true premiership winning coach in Flanagan and that will lay a foundation for true success .
I Love Lucy was a laugh a minute Gareth, however, the way that the script has been written for the Dragons to play out could be a tragedy rather than a comedy (although I must say we are a joke). There have been a few commentators recently say that we are in a bad way - hey, have they only just realised this?

We seem doomed starting with the one year extension of Hook's contract at the start of this year from some sources with knowledge of the two-year contract telling the Herald the club had until August to take up an option for Griffin to continue for a third year in 2023 but didn’t want to head into the season with speculation and uncertainty hovering. What a joke - we had until August 2022 - isn't it that time of year now? We are in August 2022 and this was the golden opportunity to not keep Hook with his assistants already being told they are not wanted so from this month we could have had a clean slate to call on fresh coaches for 2024.

I read that with all the news on Ciraldo being signed up at the Bulldogs - getting bored of this news now - he could try getting a few Panthers players to turn their backs on that club and join the Bulldogs in 2024 with the report that the Bulldogs will have plenty of spare cash in their salary cap. Whooaah, where from? I guess they will be ridding themselves of a number of lower paid players but still they do have a very expensive squad as is and Burton will want top dollar if he agrees to stay on at the club, which he will.

We will be getting rid of quite a few ourselves by 2024 so we should be cashed up to sign - who ? Corey Norman again who looks like being suspended for 8 weeks for sticking his finger up a Warrington players bum, playing for Toulouse the other day? Other has beens and rejects? Also, Ciraldo and other head coaches will be looking at "better" assistants so who will want to come to us that is any good to help out our old friend Hook?

Will the C of E improve our future chances of getting the "best" there is in coaches and players or will we continue to be bottom of the ladder losers because the old firm of the Board just meander along the course of years without a care in the world and not bothering to really help our cause?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Barrett's lack of coaching success is a worry, but if he's returning in an assistant's role, I don't see that as a bad thing. He's worked at two major clubs (Penrith & Canterbury) so he will at least know their systems. He's worked at a club with political in-fighting (Manly) so should know how to work around it. He was able to get good players to Canterbury, or at least good players weren't put off going to Canterbury with him as coach. He's younger than Hook and hopefully has a better understanding of the modern game. I understand it's a risky move but I wouldn't feel pessimistic if it happens.

justadragon

Bench
When are the interviews happening, or have they been done, interesting we havent heard from Barrett himself.

Latest posts