What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

The Great Dane

First Grade
Tell it to their own media people who reached out to the Jets about including the blue stripe on their jersey.

Also yes, Newtown are vastly more important than several of the old BRL teams.
Merging Newtown with the Brisbane Jets, would be a mistake.

History and symbols mean different things to different people, and more likely than not the majority of people in Brisbane would have the same attitude to Newtown that you have to the BRL clubs.

Honestly the best outcome for both clubs would probably be if Newtown forced the Brisbane bid to create a new brand, but that is a whole other issue.

mongoose

Coach
Almost every major football rivalry is built on rich vs poor motif.

A lot of rivalries in UK, Ireland are sectarian (Catholics vs Protestants). Doesn't seem like it took hold of any football rivalries in Australia, not that I know of.
Interestingly in pre-war era shops in the Fortitude Valley mall were separated by sect. Protestants shopped at McWhirters and the Catholics shopped on the opposite side of the mall.

Tell it to their own media people who reached out to the Jets about including the blue stripe on their jersey.

Also yes, Newtown are vastly more important than several of the old BRL teams.
How so?

They're never going to play in the NRL and their catchment is tiny. The area doesn't even care for RL any more and is full of latte sippers.

BRL clubs produce players for the NRL and represent a large catchment of RL fans.

A lot of rivalries in UK, Ireland are sectarian (Catholics vs Protestants). Doesn't seem like it took hold of any football rivalries in Australia, not that I know of.
Interestingly in pre-war era shops in the Fortitude Valley mall were separated by sect. Protestants shopped at McWhirters and the Catholics shopped on the opposite side of the mall.
Pastoral Brothers Leprechauns is the only one I can think of. It would be good if the consortium looked to set up a base in Ireland with ambitions to field a team in the Super League.

siv

First Grade
Merging Newtown with the Brisbane Jets, would be a mistake.

History and symbols mean different things to different people, and more likely than not the majority of people in Brisbane would have the same attitude to Newtown that you have to the BRL clubs.

Honestly the best outcome for both clubs would probably be if Newtown forced the Brisbane bid to create a new brand, but that is a whole other issue.

Brisbane Jets could play in away Newtown jerseys when they play in their Sydney 9 games

Perth Red

Post Whore
Get prepared for more procrastination!

Part of the NRL’s growth strategy for Queensland is the addition of a second Brisbane-based club, possibly as soon as 2023.

Abdo reaffirmed the ARLC would consider proposals to expand the NRL to 17 teams by 2023 in July this year, but said there was no guarantee a team would be added within two years as the game takes a cautious and deliberate approach to expansion.

There are three bid teams fighting for a licence and Abdo said a new franchise must be able to stand on its own two feet immediately to be granted entry.

"Financial sustainability will be a key criteria for whether or not we are able to move to 17 clubs," he said.

"What incremental revenue can we bring in with broadcasters and sponsorship but also equally how sure are we the club is sustainable in terms of their commercial revenues is definitely a criteria.

"We have always been working towards a June-July decision for 2023.

"I am confident based on what we’ve seen today on the readiness for all three interested parties here locally but equally this is not something that has to be rushed.

"If the business case says we need a bit more time then we need a bit more time. Either way we will be communicating this via the Commission in the middle of the year.

"If we don’t invest in participation in our core markets then the game will lose relevance over time."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/13/magic-round-part-of-nrls-future-growth-plans/

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL boss Andrew Abdo won't rush to include another team in Brisbane in 2023 if the numbers don't stack up over the next few months.

Stressing the need for proof of "incremental value", the chief executive is comforted by what he's seen from the three leading bids but will meet with them again soon before a call is made by July.

Redcliffe, a combined Brisbane Bombers-Ipswich Jets bid and the Easts Tigers-backed Brisbane Firehawks are vying to become the Broncos' cross-town rivals as the NRL's 17th team.

ARL Commission boss Peter V'landys has been bullish in his pursuit of a 17th team while Abdo has even flagged an 18th team in New Zealand to follow.

There are claims another team in Brisbane would be worth $50 million to the code but Queensland Rugby League chairman Bruce Hatcher has fears about saturating the market and wants to see proof before investing.

Abdo says that won't be far off.

"We've been working towards a June-July decision point for 2023 and I'm confident from what I've seen today on the readiness of all three interested parties here locally," he said at Brisbane's Magic Round launch on Tuesday.

"But it's not something that has to be rushed; if the business case says we need a bit more time, then we need a bit more time.

"We'll do a thorough analysis and that will allow the (ARL) Commission to make an informed decision to do it for the right reasons.

"I'm confident we can get there along that timeline but I don't know at this stage if it will create incremental value.

"It's a complex question to answer and one we're in the middle of right now."

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league/abdo-says-nrl-close-to-expansion-call-c-2583449

flippikat

Bench
NRL boss Andrew Abdo won't rush to include another team in Brisbane in 2023 if the numbers don't stack up over the next few months.

Stressing the need for proof of "incremental value", the chief executive is comforted by what he's seen from the three leading bids but will meet with them again soon before a call is made by July.

The back-track begins.

So very weak.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dolphins are the richest of the 3 bids, followed by Firehawks. That makes them the frontrunners. The Jets bid doesn't have much going for it at all.

have you seen the bids? Maybe jets have multi million $ sponsors and owners at the table? Just because dolphins have some significant fixed assets it doesn’t make them operationally rich, just ask the sharks!

MugaB

Coach
have you seen the bids? Maybe jets have multi million $ sponsors and owners at the table? Just because dolphins have some significant fixed assets it doesn’t make them operationally rich, just ask the sharks!
Geez you hate the sharks, not sure why, their existence isn't whats holding the perth bid back, if anything, they'll be feeding the comp alongside the panthers, dragons and tigers soon, seeing tho they have good junior grades, aren't reliant on just poaching like parra, dogs or roosters.

Perth needs to team up with a team that can feed them from day dot, like norths do for easts sunshine does for storm or redcliffe does for the warriors currently, then after they get the licence can promote their own juniors thru a perth system, remember a licence is just a piece of paper, its not like there's only 16 of them, and it must be handed to another worthy team.
All clubs go thru rough patches, slumps, bad management or roster muck ups, the cowboys, dogs and broncos are going thru it now, wests have been perennial for over a decade, penrith was about 5 years ago. Manly used to be a powerhouse, now gold coast and newcastle are on the rise, after being bottom feeders for a while.
Picking on teams just coz of their current standings mean squat, for me if a team isn't pulling weight for the overall good the game, then fair enough, but i don't see too many clubs other than roosters or manly who seem to be selfish enough to waste everyones time in regards to a licence.
Those two seem to be either heavily poaching players and raiding other clubs juniors or not putting in at catchment level or both. Something needs to be done around Northern Sydney to Central Coast

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez you hate the sharks, not sure why, their existence isn't whats holding the perth bid back, if anything, they'll be feeding the comp alongside the panthers, dragons and tigers soon, seeing tho they have good junior grades, aren't reliant on just poaching like parra, dogs or roosters.

Perth needs to team up with a team that can feed them from day dot, like norths do for easts sunshine does for storm or redcliffe does for the warriors currently, then after they get the licence can promote their own juniors thru a perth system, remember a licence is just a piece of paper, its not like there's only 16 of them, and it must be handed to another worthy team.
All clubs go thru rough patches, slumps, bad management or roster muck ups, the cowboys, dogs and broncos are going thru it now, wests have been perennial for over a decade, penrith was about 5 years ago. Manly used to be a powerhouse, now gold coast and newcastle are on the rise, after being bottom feeders for a while.
Picking on teams just coz of their current standings mean squat, for me if a team isn't pulling weight for the overall good the game, then fair enough, but i don't see too many clubs other than roosters or manly who seem to be selfish enough to waste everyones time in regards to a licence.
Those two seem to be either heavily poaching players and raiding other clubs juniors or not putting in at catchment level or both. Something needs to be done around Northern Sydney to Central Coast

my dislike of the sharks is multi faceted lol

personally I’d love to see the nrl get innovative for a change and supporting a WA club to partner with PNG. We have a massive untapped nursery in PNG and rather than dilute talent further from the east coast we could be investing in providing a clear pathway from jnrs to nrl for png talent. A Pirates elite academy in PNG for bringing through the best U16’s then the best of them moving over to perth to play sg ball and u20’s, and get a trade in case they dont make it! A partnership with the Hunters and taking a pre season game to png stadium with a cheap png Pirates membership. Imagine if the WC Pirates were regularly producing 3-4 PNG Nrl first graders like Olam. It would not only benefit perth, png and the nrl but the international game as well. Oh for an nrl that can get out of the box!

my dislike of the sharks is multi faceted lol

personally I’d love to see the nrl get innovative for a change and supporting a WA club to partner with PNG. We have a massive untapped nursery in PNG and rather than dilute talent further from the east coast we could be investing in providing a clear pathway from jnrs to nrl for png talent. A Pirates elite academy in PNG for bringing through the best U16’s then the best of them moving over to perth to play sg ball and u20’s, and get a trade in case they dont make it! A partnership with the Hunters and taking a pre season game to png stadium with a cheap png Pirates membership. Imagine if the WC Pirates were regularly producing 3-4 PNG Nrl first graders like Olam. It would not only benefit perth, png and the nrl but the international game as well. Oh for an nrl that can get out of the box!
They could also saddle up with the Queensland Cup bid from New Caledonia which is linked with the French RL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They could also saddle up with the Queensland Cup bid from New Caledonia which is linked with the French RL.

I think any opportunity that creates NEW pathways should be the goal rather than just tapping into what talent is already being produced. I could see between png and increased WA development the Pirates club within a few years would be producing plenty of first graders.

reanimate

Bench

Redcliffe, a combined Brisbane Bombers-Ipswich Jets bid and the Easts Tigers-backed Brisbane Firehawks are vying to become the Broncos' cross-town rivals as the NRL's 17th team.

ARL Commission boss Peter V'landys has been bullish in his pursuit of a 17th team while Abdo has even flagged an 18th team in New Zealand to follow.

There are claims another team in Brisbane would be worth $50 million to the code but Queensland Rugby League chairman Bruce Hatcher has fears about saturating the market and wants to see proof before investing.

Abdo says that won't be far off.

"We've been working towards a June-July decision point for 2023 and I'm confident from what I've seen today on the readiness of all three interested parties here locally," he said at Brisbane's Magic Round launch on Tuesday.

"But it's not something that has to be rushed; if the business case says we need a bit more time, then we need a bit more time.

"We'll do a thorough analysis and that will allow the (ARL) Commission to make an informed decision to do it for the right reasons.

"I'm confident we can get there along that timeline but I don't know at this stage if it will create incremental value.

"It's a complex question to answer and one we're in the middle of right now."

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league/abdo-says-nrl-close-to-expansion-call-c-2583449
How predictable. Let me guess, there will be concerns about whether the talent pool can support a 17th and 18th team as well.

MugaB

Coach
How predictable. Let me guess, there will be concerns about whether the talent pool can support a 17th and 18th team as well.
Talent pool! What a crock of shít..
1995 had issues only coz they introduced 4 in the same season, but individually each area that came had the population and somewhat players to compete, maybe not at the level of the rest of the comp at that time, but expansion just has to start, then given time can try to push for finals, warriors were unlucky to just miss finals, cowboys, crushers and reds all struggled to attract the 1st grade players that Sydney clubs attracted, thats the talent pool argument, having ready made NRL 1st grade players at every club, it has to be developed! Not bought, and yes you'd have to attract a few marquee players, like the Reds, Storm and Titans did, but if your expansion area is full of depth like it was with the Auckland Warriors, then thats what we should be aiming to do, one expansion at time