What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wookie put those things together & he's an idiot. Do you really think nqld offer more value than the biggest Sydney club?! Townesville not even part of any of the 5 captials.
Better stat would be what clubs fox subscribers support & which teams draw highest ratings in Sydney the biggest market
hang on a minute ago it was all about numbers of viewers, now its about markets npot audience size. Make your mind up! Perth as amajor capital city is a valuable market but would have less viewers than some clubs, so does that make us worth admitting now? Or is it about numbers of eyes on the screen, in which case the graphs presented are very valid. You can't have it both ways!

beave

Coach
Looks like the 2 prelim finals will be at Suncorp but next week it's in Mackay.
No disrespect to Mackay but all finals should have been at 3 grounds only, Suncorp, Townsville and Gold Coast.

Suncorp is booked out for the rah rah rubbish this weekend and Tvl the weekend after. So mackay was probably the best they could
come up with. I'm as Townsville as they come and the turf up their is a f**king disgrace, the rah rah fruits would probably kick up a stink if there was NRL games there this weekend tearing it up even more. Whoever the curator is up there (he did 1300's as well) or whoever signed off on that stupid style of turf with the hessian underlay should be slapped stupid. It needs to be ripped up and re-done with different turf.

Hartwood

Juniors
Suncorp is booked out for the rah rah rubbish this weekend and Tvl the weekend after. So mackay was probably the best they could
come up with. I'm as Townsville as they come and the turf up their is a f**king disgrace, the rah rah fruits would probably kick up a stink if there was NRL games there this weekend tearing it up even more. Whoever the curator is up there (he did 1300's as well) or whoever signed off on that stupid style of turf with the hessian underlay should be slapped stupid. It needs to be ripped up and re-done with different turf.
Why couldn't the panthers v eels match be at the GC though?

Jamberoo

Juniors
in the bottom half of the viewership table for 17-19 5 of the bottom 8 teams are Sydney teams. It seems only some Sydney clubs pull an audience. whilst the top 3 audience pullers are one club cities.

View attachment 53915
Take out the Broncos and every team is within 10% of the average. Storm rate highly because they are the best team, playing big games in the best time slots (similar to Broncos), not because they are popular. That graphic tells me all teams offer similar value.

mongoose

Coach
yep that Townsville turf was disgraceful on the weekend. Suncorp's is usually shit as well. CBus is always immaculate though.

MugaB

Coach
When the Cowboys, Broncos and Storm are going well, rugby league is going well. Add Adelaide and Perth and it will be even better.
Well only 1 of 5 is doing that, so what does that say, storm are winning, cowboys and bronx are doing sweet FA, and WA and SA don't even exist, so not sure how that becomes a metric to judge on, for all you know that might just be the ceiling, even if all 3 do well, the same results might happen

Hartwood

Juniors

The ARL Commission’s expansion plans have received a massive boost with the NRL’s richest club, the Broncos, backing an explosive new rivalry with a proposed second Brisbane team.

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys held high-level talks with Broncos CEO Dave Donaghy and chairman Karl Morris on Monday ahead of an ARLC board meeting on Thursday.

V’landys has made a personal pledge to consult the 16 clubs — and after 11 years of expansion heartache, the landmark figure the ARL Commission needs to bankroll a second Brisbane team to rival the Broncos can be revealed.

News Corp understands the NRL clubs are seeking at least $15 million annually to back a 17-team competition for 2023, equating to a $75m fiscal injection over the code’s traditional five-year broadcasting cycle.

ARLC delegates are increasingly confident their business case for expansion is stacking up — and the sentiments of the Broncos, arguably the club most impacted by a fourth Queensland club, are compelling.

Broncos chair Morris walked away from a two-hour meeting with V’landys and NRL CEO Andrew Abdo impressed with their considered approach on expansion and he welcomed the prospect of a Brisbane rivalry with the Jets, Firehawks or Dolphins.

“I see great appeal in a second Brisbane team in the south-east Queensland market,” Morris said.

“The issue is: will the NRL competition be better off with a 17th team? Can the NRL afford it and is there enough quality players in the system? Will more kids in Queensland play the game if we have a second Brisbane team?

They are some of the questions to be answered.

“But conceptually, I have no issue with another team in the Brisbane market. It would create a great rivalry with the Broncos.

“We have done some studies internally looking into the effects of expansion in other codes such as the AFL and we are quite confident in our brand.

“We feel our rusted-on Broncos fans will stay with the club.

“It will take quite some time for a second Brisbane team to build their own membership base.

“The Broncos have built a great base over the last 30 years, so we are very comfortable with our position and we would embrace a new rivalry with another Brisbane team.

“Any new Brisbane team will have its challenges because the Broncos have been so dominant for so long.”

ARL Commissioners have discussed delaying expansion until 2024, but V’landys is leaning towards introducing a second Brisbane team in 2023 after digesting the outcome of an NRL internal report.

V’landys still has to convince the existing clubs that expansion is the right way forward, although it is understood the additional $15 million figure will assuage many of their concerns.

At the very least it will mean they come to the table willing to listen to what a second Brisbane franchise has to offer because it would mean the clubs will not be financially impacted by the addition of a 17th team.

The NRL currently provides each of the 16 clubs with an annual $13m grant. There were concerns a 17th team would erode that funding.

However, the biggest impediment appears to have been removed as V‘landys prepares to front the clubs next week with an increase in the broadcasting deal that could exceed $75 million over the first five years of a 17-team competition.

Morris praised the consultative approach of V’landys and Abdo.

“The one thing I am appreciative of is that Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo gave us an in-depth presentation,” he said.

“They promised to show us the full financials in relation to expansion and a critical component is the broadcast rights.

“We are waiting to hear what the change in revenue numbers are and once the NRL receives that, they will present the figures to the 16 teams.

“If the maths work, we are off and running with expansion.”

The_Wookie

Bench
Wookie put those things together & he's an idiot. Do you really think nqld offer more value than the biggest Sydney club?! Townesville not even part of any of the 5 captials.
Better stat would be what clubs fox subscribers support & which teams draw highest ratings in Sydney the biggest market

Idiot I may be, but Im not pythagoNRL who put these together, although I did provide the ratings tables he used. And if I did put them together they'd be on my site and twitter feed, not his.

You're also asking for Fox data that isnt available.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ARL Commission have found an unlikely ally in their bid to expand the premiership. As the game closes in on the addition of a 17th team - funding is expected to be confirmed soon enough and a final call could arrive as early as grand final week - former AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has chimed in on the benefits of adding a new team.
Demetriou presided over the AFL during a period when Australian rules became a national sport. He also heard the same warnings that chair Peter V’landys and the commission are now hearing from their existing clubs.

The AFL went ahead anyway and emerged with a stronger and more valuable competition.
“We found that every time we expanded the competition … you had the same comments from clubs and they went something like this - where are they going to get the players from, you are going to dilute some of our distribution dividends, you are going to take some of our members, not enough sponsorship dollars, the standard and quality of the play will go down,” Demetriou told Weekend Read.

“Interestingly, we expended our competition three times and it was always though global financial crisis. The last one when the GWS Giants came in it came off the back of 2007 and 2008, and everyone thought this was our Armageddon.

“When the Adelaide Crows came in it was on the back of the global financial crisis in 1987-88. But what ended up happening was every time we expanded the competition, everything else grew - crowds grew, the number of players in the talent pool grew, all the revenues grew, sponsorships grew, revenue grew, broadcast rights grew, and interestingly the distribution to the clubs grew.

“So they didn’t go backwards. I think if you do it properly and you are bold - and I think V’landys is bold to be honest …. if you see it through, things should grow.”

Some people would point to the GWS Giants and Gold Coast Suns, and suggest expansion hasn’t necessarily been a good thing. Both clubs have struggled to gain traction in their respective areas, and come at a huge cost to head office.

Demetriou insisted had already paid their way despite the hundreds of millions that have and continue to be poured into the respective clubs.

“I haven’t got the numbers in front of me, I am not there any more,” he said.

“The two new teams cost a lot of money to put in. It is over $200-300 million over 10 or 20 years, But it has come back in broadcast rights, sponsorship, media.

“It has already paid its way. There is no doubt about that.”

Clubs ready to stand their ground on pay demands

The NRL extended an olive branch to their clubs this week when they offered them $7 million as compensation for being forced to move the game to south-east Queensland.

Under the offer, each club was given a slice of the pie contingent on how many home games they were forced to give up.

The clubs were grateful of course but there was a caveat. The offer they received also made it clear that any new funding would supersede previous arrangements.

The NRL and some of their clubs have been at loggerheads over claims that they are owed a combined $24 million under the terms of a deal struck five years ago.

The clubs have legal advice that the agreement still stands. The NRL has their own legal advice that it has been superseded by subsequent deals.

Just to end any debate, the NRL want the clubs to forego their claims in return for $7 million. It is understood some clubs have jumped at the offer.

Others are more hesitant given they stand to make a lot more should their legal advice be right over the $24 million clause, which is due to come into effect on November 1, 2022.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The game will never move forward until the clubs are out of decision making, it's a no brainer. Self interest will always rule.
Unfortunately that ship sailed in 2011. No place on the commission and lifetime licenses should have been the go when the ARLC was being formed. They did neither and here we are clubs still dictating terms from a place of self-interest.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yep and they had a big say in getting the WC postponed.

I recall under Arko there was a bloc of clubs who controlled the game, Manly and Canterbury being two. Infact I read they had an agreement to not poach each others players, I can't recall any players they wanted swapping between these two in that time.

Who would be the ring leading clubs now? Roosters, Bulldogs? Anyone else?

It's a joke really, the game will always be screwed by self interest.

They want to be one of the big boys but will always be a big fish in a small pond.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep and they had a big say in getting the WC postponed.

I recall under Arko there was a bloc of clubs who controlled the game, Manly and Canterbury being two. Infact I read they had an agreement to not poach each others players, I can't recall any players they wanted swapping between these two in that time.

Who would be the ring leading clubs now? Roosters, Bulldogs? Anyone else?

It's a joke really, the game will always be screwed by self interest.

They want to be one of the big boys but will always be a big fish in a small pond.
I get the sense that after the rebellion in 95 that the games leaders ever since have been gun shy and pandered to try and keep the clubs happy no matter the cost to the game. Largely out of fear of another rebellion. For all the bluster about Vlandys strong personality he is just like the rest, being dictated to by the clubs and continuing to pander to their needs over the games needs. Abdo seemingly has no power at all. Nature abhors a vacuum. Without strong leadership clubs will continue to fill the void.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Smith or Greenberg acted like Abdo the media would crucify them.
they get an easy ride because Vlandys is in bed with them. Nsw Racing and news ltd are intricately linked through business dealings. The game hasn’t been this closely controlled by news ltd since we got rid of gallop. I hate to think what the tv deal is he signed us up to but continues to refuse to make public!

The_Wookie

Bench
The Australians Brent Read has a story today confirming the 2nd Brissy team. behind paywall tho:

"Landmark moment: NRL to add second Brisbane team​

After 11 years of expansion heartache, Brisbane will get a second NRL team to rival the Broncos"

The ARL Commission is a fortnight away from formally announcing NRL expansion with a second Brisbane team to be added to the Telstra Premiership in 2023.

In a landmark moment for rugby league, News Corp can reveal the code is ready to embark on its first expansionary move in 14 years following a high-powered ARL Commission board meeting on Thursday.

It is understood ARL Commissioners heard an analysis of expansion, conducted by both League Central and external firms, showed the financial forecasting for a 17-team competition stacks up.

The final step involves ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys presenting findings and funding outcomes to the existing 16 clubs, but after 11 years of expansion heartache, Brisbane will get a second team to rival the Broncos.

V’landys has taken a cautious approach — and will not rubber-stamp expansion until he meets with the clubs over the next week — but the ARL Commission are unanimous in their backing for a fourth Queensland club.