What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

Pippen94

First Grade
I have no issue with two pools of 9

Play each other home & away over 16 rounds in one season

And 9 rounds cross pool games

Combined table with Top 8

We are not far off a Sydney pool of 9 and regional pool of 9 today

Beauty of conference system is you get a big Sydney final & another with maybe two qld teams.

Dissolving conferences only for finals gives no point to having them in first place

Perth Red

Post Whore
No it doesn't
At club level it most certainly does for the majority. At the top end of the scale west coast have a membership of 100k and an avg attendance of 55k generating around $50million a year in revenue from membership, gate takings and merch sales. in comparison they get around $10mill a year from the tv grant. Throw in the appeal to sponsors and cororates of a) such a large fanbase an b) corporate box sales in a state of the art stadium with a full 60k crowd and you can see they also benefit from that which brings their total football generate revenue to around $80mill before tv grant. That’s in comparison to most nrl clubs who struggle to earn $15million from football operations. To say crowds dont matter is utter codswallop from a revenue generation at club level point of view.

Pippen94

First Grade
At club level it most certainly does for the majority. At the top end of the scale west coast have a membership of 100k and an avg attendance of 55k generating around $50million a year in revenue from membership, gate takings and merch sales. in comparison they get around $10mill a year from the tv grant. Throw in the appeal to sponsors and cororates of a) such a large fanbase an b) corporate box sales in a state of the art stadium with a full 60k crowd and you can see they also benefit from that which brings their total football generate revenue to around $80mill before tv grant. That’s in comparison to most nrl clubs who struggle to earn $15million from football operations. To say crowds dont matter is utter codswallop from a revenue generation at club level point of view.

So ticket sales greater than 2.5 billion deal?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
So ticket sales greater than 2.5 billion deal?!
You’re missing the point, I’m talking about at club level not hq level.
not that is an and or, afl still get bigger central tv deals PLUS massive revenue generation at club level. If the nrl clubs were getting $30mill plus each out of the tv deal you’d have an argument but they’re notm and having a big fanbase would earn them more money that they would get from tv.
They are just too lazy/inept/unpopular, take your pick, to do it.

Pippen94

First Grade
You’re missing the point, I’m talking about at club level not hq level.
not that is an and or, afl still get bigger central tv deals PLUS massive revenue generation at club level. If the nrl clubs were getting $30mill plus each out of the tv deal you’d have an argument but they’re notm and having a big fanbase would earn them more money that they would get from tv.
They are just too lazy/inept/unpopular, take your pick, to do it.

Get back to me when ticketing is game's biggest source of revenue...

MugaB

Coach
Beauty of conference system is you get a big Sydney final & another with maybe two qld teams.

Dissolving conferences only for finals gives no point to having them in first place
What it does do is keep the same teams play each other more often creating more rivalry between them, keeping them in the conference for the season, (not finals) outlines why they are set to play each other twice rather than once like every othe r team would, im not in favour of a Sydney pool vs interstate pool, i feel it should be split via a borderline, for example parramatta rd, the main dividing road that cuts sydney in half, and also has olypmic park= ANZ stadium at the centre of it, anything north of ANZ stadium is in the Northern conference, anything south, the Southern Conference.
These teams play each other twice, then everyone else once, which if we had 18 teams means 16 games in own conference and 9 in versing the other conference, a 25 round season.
The lack of logic in the current schedule creation, as to why some teams have to play each other twice moreso annoys me, at least this way, saying you're south of homebush and thats why you gotta play storm twice every year puts it into context.

I also don't want an all sydney final, and an all interstate final then a superbowl, this takes away from preliminary finals, the best teams should be in the finals, not the best in your region, the finals should be the top 8, not best of each conference

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You'd think we would get a call on the new club in next two weeks given the transfer window of Nov 1st is fast approaching. if any club is to have a hope of building a decent roster for 2023 then they need to know they are in within next week or so in order to be able to be signing players from November 1.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You'd think we would get a call on the new club in next two weeks given the transfer window of Nov 1st is fast approaching. if any club is to have a hope of building a decent roster for 2023 then they need to know they are in within next week or so in order to be able to be signing players from November 1.
I heard that it was being announced straight after the GF. I think it was on NRL 360, but that was from a journo, not the NRL

flippikat

Bench
I heard that it was being announced straight after the GF. I think it was on NRL 360, but that was from a journo, not the NRL
I hope not.

Look, as much as I wanna know who wins this Beauty pageant, and move the narrative to "Who gets the 18th spot?" (which IMO is a FAR more interesting debate).... to call out the next expansion team on the evening that a club is celebrating their Premiership is like going to a kid's birthday party and announcing you're pregnant.

It's THEIR day - not yours, not Redcliffe's, not anyone else's.

Allow them their space in the spotlight, they've earned it.

Announce the winning bid a few days later.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh you'd want some clear air. Friday next week would be a good time to fill the weekend papers, though I get the sense from recent comments that they are only just deciding on if to increase clubs. not which of the three will get in now?

Tigers1986

Juniors
They said AFTER the grand final, so I'd assume Tuesday once the celebrations have wound down for Penrith or South Sydney. They aren't going to announce it during the ceremony lol

Latest posts