What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It may have been ugly, but.............

Kornstar

Coach
I know the reason why i call for guys to be blooded is that i see them every week in Premier League for so long actually go forward and get good offloads away and actually look enthusiastic and then i look at first grade and the forwards seem to just go through the motions with no reall hunger......

I know it is a BIG step up to play first grade but these guys just seem to have something some of the first grade guys are missing........they all work for each other, i'll tell you i think that Hauraki and Taia surely wouldn't look out of place in first grade in the future, they are getting better and better. I really think that Paulo and Fa'aso will battle for the bench for front row sooner rather than later.

Tsolous done a few good things but i would like to see him play a few more P/L games to really get his fitness back before they throw him in first grade!!!

Maroubra Eel

Coach
parra pete said:
You didn't know he was that fast. I didn't know he could run...That'll pump his metres gained up.
He did play well though, I'll give him that....

Dear Moderators - it would appear that somebody has hacked into Parra Pete's account.

Sean7

Juniors
I think it was a strange one.

On the one hand, our forwards definately ran harder, most notably I Hindmarsh and Robinson and Tim Smith played a much more controlled game. Riddell was absolutely awesome when it counted towards the end of the game and we hit harder in tackles. Mateo had his arm free in almost every tackle (but that leads me to the other hand).

Where were the support runners? Honestly, if someone actually supports Mateo, I think we'll make a linebreak in every second set. We haven't had someone like this guy for a long time. At the moment we cannot break the line. We had 2 linebreaks and they were from Reddy and Smith off Tigers errors. Maybe the team is just taking time to gel, but we hear that every year. Other teams don't seem to have to do the same and our gel always runs out before the end of the season anyway.

It was good to win, but I'm not sure it Parramatta that won that game, rather the Tigers lost it.

And not wanting to jump on Finch's back just yet, but at least with TIm Smith we're seeing glimpses of what he can do. Finch doesn't even seem to be there.

Utey

Coach
Sean7 said:
Where were the support runners? Honestly, if someone actually supports Mateo, I think we'll make a linebreak in every second set. We haven't had someone like this guy for a long time. At the moment we cannot break the line. We had 2 linebreaks and they were from Reddy and Smith off Tigers errors. Maybe the team is just taking time to gel, but we hear that every year. Other teams don't seem to have to do the same and our gel always runs out before the end of the season anyway.

That'll be the thing we will miss most abotu Mckinnon. He became the best support player in the game and Burty will definitly have to fill in.

Ant

Juniors
Look I thought overall a big improvement yes we have plenty to do, but we still have 2 good and in my view important players to return.

It was good to have Hindy back, while I don't think he did too much amazing, there are lots of little things he does that make a difference. He has a presence about him, he is a big strong man.
What I noticed most was that unlike previous weeks when a couple of guys were struggling to hold a guy in defence and it would often result in a quick play the ball. Hindy would charge in and knock the whole lot to the ground, it was like I've had enough if this rubbish. Hindy when not making the tackle sits round behind players to stop offloads. He also did a couple of good tackles on half breaks that other forwards just don't make. I just think better than most he is able to read the play as a defender and work out what needs to happen.
Like I said I think he just had a solid game, but the impact he has on a team at any level is huge because he does things that other players don't. Many of them are small, but still significant.

Cayless was great again, I assume he mad some sort of knock at the end. But Nathan has stormed out of the blocks. His size means he is never going to constantly run over people, but he just makes lots of steady gains, and this year is using some good footwork to make half breaks. He has always had that good offload.

I get really annoyed at stupid penalties you know things that are always going to get penalised (leg pulls, flops, intefering with the ball), and there were still a couple tonight. Chad Robinson was the main offender, but Hayne did another one, he has now given stupid penalities every week. Someone talk to him.

But in general Hayne had a much better game.

In general everyone had a much better game. Finch was quiet but I don't think he was terrible.

The addition of Grothe and Fui adds a different element to our team, they are guys who are explosive every time they run the ball. Its probably an ex factor we are missing. When you have a guy like Grothe run the ball on tackle 1 or 2, it makes a big difference because he is likely to cause some damage to a defencive line, makes it muhc easier for the forwards. Reddy, Burt and Hayne don't have the same presence.

So a win under the belt, good players returning in the next few weeks, canberra next we must build from here.

Kornstar

Coach
Ant said:
Look I thought overall a big improvement yes we have plenty to do, but we still have 2 good and in my view important players to return.

It was good to have Hindy back, while I don't think he did too much amazing, there are lots of little things he does that make a difference. He has a presence about him, he is a big strong man.
What I noticed most was that unlike previous weeks when a couple of guys were struggling to hold a guy in defence and it would often result in a quick play the ball. Hindy would charge in and knock the whole lot to the ground, it was like I've had enough if this rubbish. Hindy when not making the tackle sits round behind players to stop offloads. He also did a couple of good tackles on half breaks that other forwards just don't make. I just think better than most he is able to read the play as a defender and work out what needs to happen.
Like I said I think he just had a solid game, but the impact he has on a team at any level is huge because he does things that other players don't. Many of them are small, but still significant.

Cayless was great again, I assume he mad some sort of knock at the end. But Nathan has stormed out of the blocks. His size means he is never going to constantly run over people, but he just makes lots of steady gains, and this year is using some good footwork to make half breaks. He has always had that good offload.

I get really annoyed at stupid penalties you know things that are always going to get penalised (leg pulls, flops, intefering with the ball), and there were still a couple tonight. Chad Robinson was the main offender, but Hayne did another one, he has now given stupid penalities every week. Someone talk to him.

But in general Hayne had a much better game.

In general everyone had a much better game. Finch was quiet but I don't think he was terrible.

The addition of Grothe and Fui adds a different element to our team, they are guys who are explosive every time they run the ball. Its probably an ex factor we are missing. When you have a guy like Grothe run the ball on tackle 1 or 2, it makes a big difference because he is likely to cause some damage to a defencive line, makes it muhc easier for the forwards. Reddy, Burt and Hayne don't have the same presence.

So a win under the belt, good players returning in the next few weeks, canberra next we must build from here.

I actually thought Hayne was very hard done by with that penalty, he totally dominated that tackle and the player should never have been allowed to play the ball quick, Hayne had every right to go on with the tackle!!!!!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
<UPtheEELS> said:
That'll be the thing we will miss most abotu Mckinnon. He became the best support player in the game and Burty will definitly have to fill in.

I still think Burt is a better support runner and he has always been.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Natalie's Daddy said:

they're both terrific support runners and both cancel each other out in that area, actually on current form McKinnon could be regarded as better.

Hallatia

Referee
eelavation said:
they're both terrific support runners and both cancel each other out in that area, actually on current form McKinnon could be regarded as better.
current form, McKinnon can be inconsistent and make costly errors, Burt will always be the safer option

Utey

Coach
Natalie's Daddy said:

Rubbish, Burt is good, Mckinnon is better. How amny times did Mckinnon used to loom on the inside and get the ball. 1/10 maybe but he was there. Maybe we are playing it safe atm to fix up our completion rate. But Wade has always been a better support player.

I wouldn't know about Burty being the safer option either. With his size and on kick returns getting gang tackled a mistake is never far away, I had my heart in my mouth in that last twenty.