What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It shouldn't be this way.

RedVGooner

Juniors
I was disappointed last night like most of us would but we had a good season and ill never jump ship, The Dragons are my team, my life, my soul and i have so much confidence that a premiership is on the way soon to the Dragons and next year will will come back better then ever!

Dragones a la muerte----> Dragons to the death!!

Last edited:

Hanscholo

Bench
Honestly, the finals choking thing...So what you lose finals, more often than not most clubs do. You havent won a premiership in a while, again, so what, most clubs havent. You were in what, 4 in the 90's and lost to two of the best side i have ever seen in Manly and Brisbane, and you lost a howler that you shouldnt have against Melbourne. You have played in numerous semis thru the 00's. Its not about choking so much as you just havent had some results go your way. You cant win them all, and sometimes you dont win any. If you continue to talk about the choking it will become a weight around the clubs neck like it was for Norths, and like it is for Cronulla. You'd all do well to ignore it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Then you are a paranoid twat. I have not approached a single forum member about any such thing.
Such insecurities are typical of a St George supporter though.
LOL! You're as bad as a drunk queenslander.

Glad we cleared that up. Are you right for drinks when I'm next in your neck of the woods? You have the first shout... If you're game.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sorry, didn't know you were that much of a private person. Fair enough and respected.

The offer is always open Reefy.

Goddo

Bench
Admittedly some of us do but I never do this.
Last night I got a text from someone in our cricket club. All year he has bagged out his own team Parra while I said "Don't worry, they'll come good".
I've never had a bad thing to say about Parra in front of him.
Then he sends a text last night telling me not to be a sook and cry....

All I can think of is "where the fu@k did that antagonism come from?"

For such an unsuccessful club we do draw more than our fair share of antagonism.

Canterbury are hated for being hypocrites, bad sports, cheats and ... well we aren't allowed to talk about that are we...
Easts and Manly are hated for buying their way to success,
Storm are hated for being grapplers,
Newcastle are hated for the behavior of some of their fans in Newcastle,
Souths are just pitied and laughed at,
Brisbane are despised for having an unfair advantage of being a one team town.

I'm one eyed so I am blind to it but why do people love to hate us?

I think its because of jelousy, we have an excellent fan base and army, we have nice suburban grounds (unlike Manly, etcetera) and we are moderately successful.

We have only missed the NRL finals 3 times since the merger, and we tend to fall down towards the end, so when Dragons fans start getting excited, they get branded "arogant" and if the team fails to win, "chokers". With the massive parra bandwagon, are they arogant? will they choke? or the bulldogs, same there.

As a proud successful historic club that doesn't get in the media for the wrong reasons and is a truely family club in its districts, anti-climactic seasons are the only fuel other teams have to put sh*t on us.

Stand tall, stand proud Dragons Army, they are petty, jelous and imature.
St George Illawarra Dragons

big pat

Coach
after following a team for 46 years, i not about to retire yet,i've been lucky enough to have seen some wonderful players wearing the red and white,i've always being proud of my team over the years, some people might think sat night was the end of the world, but we will be back make no mistake,let me ask a simple question, would you prefer to follow a team that had an enjoyable season, won a minor premiership got to play finals footy, or would you much rather be a rooster or cronulla fan, and fight over a wooden spoon.

I don't think too many tipped us to win the minor premiership this year, so it has to be said we had a very good season, soured by another disappointing ending unfortunately.
It just goes to prove how hard a GF is to make, let alone win.
The current team just has to keep putting itself in a position to win one often enough, and their time will come.
All this reminds me a bit of Greg Norman in the 80s/90s. He was nearly always in contention to win on the final day of the majors, and ended up winning a couple, but was constantly called a choker because of the ones he didn't win. But funnily enough that talk always came from his opponents, who were dining out on it to boost their own egos.
His supporters never thought he choked.
And I don't think the Dragons choked.
Their time will come. Just stick solid guys.

hellteam

First Grade
The hate would have to come from the fact that you guys won 11 straight premierships. That is a ridiculously good record and because of that it is 'ironic' that you can't seem to get one now.

I don't hate the Dragons, probably my favourite Sydney team, and have always enjoyed the rivalry we have had over the years.

jargan83

Coach
As per usual, come the final knock out of the season, year after year we see and hear the same thing in these forums and from the mouths of not only opposition fans... but our own.

Being heavily involved with the Dragon Army, for the past 3 seasons a number of us have poured blood sweat and tears into making the DA fun to be a part of again.
From flags to banners, signs, bus trips, meet-ups, BBQ's and touch footy days - it's been a very long season. To all involved thank you.

Now to my point. Work colleagues, friends, family and others often ask "why?"... Why do we keep on going putting so much passion into the mighty Red V? There is an endless list of reasons I have to choose from when giving the answer to whoever is asking, but come this time of year it gets a lot harder to explain. The thing which makes it harder, is all of the haters, all of the people who jump on these very forums and start bad mouthing the coach, the players and the club. I just don't see the point in it, does it make you feel better? Does it make the seasons end easier to cope with?

A lot of us used to be negative towards the CEO, the coach and the players but we have seen the light. You can enjoy the game a lot more when you just support the team.

Sentimental thread or not, I'm just embarrassed to be associated with 2 types of Dragons fans.

If you are either of these types of people, then you are an embarrassment, not only to me but to the Players, the Coaches and everything associated with the St. George Illawarra Dragons.

1) You kick the boot into the team after every loss and after the seasons end. You have more negative things than positive things to say about the team and club. You never offer positive and constructive feedback re: the team, club and even the DA (you stand on the hill and create division amongst old and new).

2) You gloat. Instead of being 'concerned' about your own back yard, you're over the neighbours' fence carrying on about how great your grass is. You are more interested in fueling the hatred and being a bad sport, than showing the better hand and being a better man. It's not even about being modest, it's more that you wouldn't know how to recognise fairness if it smacked you in the face.

We have enough abuse to cop by opposition fans come this time of the year, perhaps if we just banded together we wouldn't have such a hard time, and it'd be just meaningless mucking around banter. Like it should be.

/rant.

Love the rant. I was guttered on Saturday night but my support is and always will be unwavering.

Only one team is victorious by the end of the season, it's not like the Dragons are the only losers.

One thing I have a beef with is when supporters of sides that don't even make finals sink the boot in.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
One thing I have a beef with is when supporters of sides that don't even make finals sink the boot in.
I think we should cut them some slack. They're bored. Plus they've been drinking heavily for two weeks.

hellteam

First Grade
Love the rant. I was guttered on Saturday night but my support is and always will be unwavering.

Only one team is victorious by the end of the season, it's not like the Dragons are the only losers.

I agree, we (The Broncos) cop it too. I guess because we have both been in so many finals series that people see it as failures when we don't win. Their problem is that they just rarely ever get in at all.

newman

First Grade
Let me preface this by saying I dont think I have ever posted in another teams forum.

You are right in that there is a perception out there that Saints fans are arrogant and cocky, right or wrong, and I think thats where the hatred from others comes from. I also get the impression that St George fans honestly believe they have some sort of entitlement to success and a premiership above other teams, and this rubs people up the wrong way, I know I find it irritating. I spent many years working at St G bank head office and drank plenty at St George Leagues, so I feel I have a reasonable barometer for dragons fans.
Ive also been to plenty of Sharks v Dragons derbies at all venues (Kogarah, WIN, ANZ and SFS) and can honestly say that I look forward to the derby games more than any other in the football calender. However, I must say that some of the worst displays of 'supporting' and supporters I have ever witnessed have come from those in red and white.

Add this to the fact that your mob absolutely surrounds us and most of your players live and leisure in the shire and I gotta say I enjoy seeing you lose. But being a fanatical supporter I empathise with the frustration you are feeling now.

Bad Luck and see you next year!

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I know I find it irritating.
Your problem.
newman said:
Add this to the fact that your mob absolutely surrounds us and most of your players live and leisure in the shire.
Well apart from the geographical reality, there's also the fact that historically the shire was part of the St George and Illawarra footprint.
newman said:
Thanks, but luck had nothing to do with it. Just beaten by a better team on the day.

I think the Saints of 2009 are a huge improvent to 2008. And I'm looking forward to 2010.

Nice of you to drop in newman.

Dragon Dave

Bench
I think teams hate us because we have a proud, successful history but moreso the fact that we have the biggest supporter base in the NRL. Of course the home fans are going to be more keen to stick it up Saints fans when we outnumber them at their own home ground. It's natural.

Same goes for Collingwood fans in the AFL (which is why I like them) and big clubs in the EPL.

I personally love the fact that we are hated and love to see other teams "fans" coming in here and spending their time and energy on our forum.

I think, in a strange way, it shows respect.

newman

First Grade
Originally Posted by newman
I know I find it irritating.
Your problem.

Yes. I was simply trying to post a bit of objective light onto the dislike that has some posters on here stumped.

Quote:
Add this to the fact that your mob absolutely surrounds us and most of your players live and leisure in the shire.

Well apart from the geographical reality, there's also the fact that historically the shire was part of the St George and Illawarra footprint.

The geographic reality is simply that, a reality, but it can be suffocating. Its the rival teams players (its not just Dragons players, but there are a lot of them) that live, party and generally swan around Cronulla like they own the joint that sh*ts me, and other sharks fans. Particularly when they are off contract and they wont even entertain negotiating with the Sharks.

Thanks, but luck had nothing to do with it. Just beaten by a better team on the day

You are dead right. Bad luck sounded nicer though.

Nice of you to drop in newman.

Thanks. Nice chatting.

big pat

Coach
Let me preface this by saying I dont think I have ever posted in another teams forum.

You are right in that there is a perception out there that Saints fans are arrogant and cocky, right or wrong, and I think thats where the hatred from others comes from. I also get the impression that St George fans honestly believe they have some sort of entitlement to success and a premiership above other teams, and this rubs people up the wrong way, I know I find it irritating. I spent many years working at St G bank head office and drank plenty at St George Leagues, so I feel I have a reasonable barometer for dragons fans.
Ive also been to plenty of Sharks v Dragons derbies at all venues (Kogarah, WIN, ANZ and SFS) and can honestly say that I look forward to the derby games more than any other in the football calender. However, I must say that some of the worst displays of 'supporting' and supporters I have ever witnessed have come from those in red and white.

Add this to the fact that your mob absolutely surrounds us and most of your players live and leisure in the shire and I gotta say I enjoy seeing you lose. But being a fanatical supporter I empathise with the frustration you are feeling now.

their are good and bad supporters at every club, their are a couple of cronulla fans who come in here and make some intelligent postings, i won't say their names don't want to give them a big head, sorry to say NEWMAN your not one of them, your sooky posts fool no one,:blahb::blahb: