What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It was rape, say police

mickdo

Coach
It was rape, say police
SMH April 28, 2004 - 10:21AM

Police investigating rape allegations against six Bulldogs players today said there was evidence a rape had occurred.

Asked whether there was any evidence of rape physically, Strike Force head Jason Breton replied: "Yes."

But he said there was insufficient evidence to pursue charges against any players.

A 20-year-old woman accused up to six players of gang raping her beside the pool of the Pacific Bay Resort in Coffs Harbour after a pre-season match on February 22 this year.

Police announced yesterday they would not lay charges against anyone involved with the club.

Detective Breton said proving rape cases can be difficult because the evidence can be the same as consensual sex.

"It's always hard to talk about evidence of rape because rape's an offence, sexual intercourse isn't but the evidence can be the same," he said.

Kaz

junior
Detective Breton was just on John Laws & he said just reconfirmed there was evidence of a rape taking place, but they didn't have enough evidence.

ouwet

Bench
"It's always hard to talk about evidence of rape because rape's an offence, sexual intercourse isn't but the evidence can be the same," he said.

No one is denying their wasn't sex on the night... :roll:
How did these guys become police officers? they are deadset idiots... Why don't they give the police report to the media.. Oh wait they did a few days after this occured are as they said it was "leaked"... :roll:

soleilbleu

Juniors
Yet another highly publicised (failed) case that is going to make it even harder, mentally and physically, for alleged rape victims to be brave enough to pursue the course of "justice".

This was quite unbelievable reading.

What sort of evidence is actually needed? Just so that next time it happens to someone, they know what it all entails?

innsaneink

Referee
Police investigating sexual assault claims against Bulldogs players have revealed that physical evidence indicated that the 20-year-old woman at the centre of the allegations had been raped.

*Edited* by Kaz

Legally theyre clean.....but the stain will stay for a long time.

The club as a whole is a disgrace....if it was a junior club, they'd be booted for sure....its happened before.

dice

Juniors
It sounds like the ideal case for civil action. I don't think this is over just yet.

wittyfan

Referee
LebaneseForces said:

How did these guys become police officers? they are deadset idiots... Why don't they give the police report to the media.. Oh wait they did a few days after this occured are as they said it was "leaked"... :roll:

Police are just stating facts related to their investigation. If you can't accept it, when then it's your problem.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Innocent. My gob will be staying open on this one. INNOCENT, INNOCENT, INNOCENT.

innsaneink,
Yeah weve all seen your type on TV mate.....maybe you should actually find out the difference between sex and rape.
You disgust me.....every post of yours I read your just short of condoning whats happened.

You are 100% positive that rape took place? Shall we just convict people just because someone has come out with wild accusations? There is no evidence to suggest the bulldogs are guilty. But, hey, A few dipsticks have a hunch that the DPP is wrong. Hang em :roll:

Dogaholic

First Grade
sullyfan said:
LebaneseForces said:

Police are just stating facts related to their investigation. If you can't accept it, when then it's your problem.

The FACT is, there is no evidence to convict the bulldogs player's of wrong doing. I have accepted it and dealing with it. I suggest you stop your witch hunt and do the same.

soleilbleu said:
Yet another highly publicised (failed) case that is going to make it even harder, mentally and physically, for alleged rape victims to be brave enough to pursue the course of "justice".

This was quite unbelievable reading.

What sort of evidence is actually needed? Just so that next time it happens to someone, they know what it all entails?

too right many many women don't come forward now after being raped and those that do face persecution and have to relive the ordeal time and time again. the dpp obviously needs a major overhaul in relation to public expectation. the case should have went to court where a jury could decide one way or another what happened on the evidence etc provided. the dpp don't decide the guilt or otherwise of those accused the selected jury does.

The Colonel

Immortal
Its a Dogs World said:
Innocent. My gob will be staying open on this one. INNOCENT, INNOCENT, INNOCENT.

LACK OF EVIDENCE, LACK OF EVIDENCE, LACK OF EVIDENCE

CHARGES NOT LAID, CHARGES NOT LAID, CHARGES NOT LAID

They have been proven neither innocent nor guilty....... they have been cleared off nothing.

mickdo

Coach
Lack of evidence does not prove innocence in most peoples eyes. Wake up and smell the roses you idiots. The game has suffered once again at the hands of the dog scum.

wittyfan

Referee
Its a Dogs World said:
sullyfan said:
LebaneseForces said:

The FACT is, there is no evidence to convict the bulldogs player's of wrong doing. I have accepted it and dealing with it. I suggest you stop your witch hunt and do the same.

There wasn't enough evidence. There was some, but it wasn't enough for charges to be laid. You are not dealing with this very well. :p

Anonymous

Juniors
Evidence rape occurred doesn't mean it did. I am a very vocal critic of the bulldogs, but your condemnation of them when you have no idea of the scenario is nothing short of disgraceful.

He said there was evidence rape occurred, but it can be the same as concensual sex. To me that says physically rape may have occurred, but it may also have been consensual.

ibeme

First Grade
I watched the press conference in it's entirety. The following were the points made:

* The girl's condition was consistent with a rape, but was also consistent with consensual sex of that nature

* Players and the girl admitted to consensual group sex on the Wednesday prior

* DNA tests were inconclusive

* Independant witness statements, among other things brought into question the girls version of events with regards to timing and actions, but this could be attributed to trauma

* Once players had given full interviews, the police were able to dismiss some, and take their case straight to the DPP.

* The girl was only able to identify some of the players.

* Any suggestion that stitches were required were a complete fabrication

* No stone was left overturned in the investigation

* The outcome of this investigation should not deter any victims of sexual assault from coming forward in future, as all allegations will be treated with absolute thoroughness

* There was a seventh player seen leaving the area before or after events, according to a signed witness statement. That player never came forward.

This article should have contained the full transcript rather than select what it wanted to.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Colonel Eel,
LACK OF EVIDENCE, LACK OF EVIDENCE, LACK OF EVIDENCE

CHARGES NOT LAiD, CHARGES NOT LAID, CHARGES NOT LAID

They have been proven neither innocent nor guilty.......

Your right. Charges not laid, not innocent, not guilty....just assume that the incident never happend!

mickdo,
Lack of evidence does not prove innocence in most peoples eyes. Wake up and smell the roses you idiots. The game has suffered once again at the hands of the dog scum.

the game is suffering due to the media, and also due to rugby League supporters who can't see the truth and are hanging onto their gut feelings.

sullyfan,
There wasn't enough evidence. There was some, but it wasn't enough for charges to be laid. You are not dealing with this very well.

:D :D :D :D Yeah, im pretty sad at the moment. :roll:

Latest posts