What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's been a good run, but...

m0j0

Bench
...that's the end of the season.

Nice fight back from the Warriors and good on 'em for not giving up (unlike another team I know). I know you can't win them all, and I never really expected us to go anywhere this year anyway. Doesn't make it any easier to take, however.

The good news is that I see us doing better next year. I'm hoping the Tigers keep it going and make the 8 so I've got some team to follow in the finals, and with any luck they'll go like the Cowboys did last year.

Doggies, take care of Braith. We're gonna need him in good condition for next year.

BoldShane

Juniors
m0j0 said:
...that's the end of the season.
Doggies, take care of Braith. We're gonna need him in good condition for next year.

Pretty much, yeah :cry: ... if we can't even beat the damn Warriors we have no hope of beating the Broncos or the Eels in the Semi's

We neeed some serious attacking players for next year... Anasta's a good start

:-({|= That's it.... and there aint no more

BoldShane :-#

Fibroman

First Grade
You blokes have got no chance all the time you buy pretty boys. You need people that are interested in playing footy, not looking at themselves in the mirror at the coffee shop.

gregstar

Referee
you're certainly not out of the race yet you knobs!

look at your competitors:

sharks are sh*t
saints are wobbly (at best)
warriors are inconsistent on a good day
tigers are inexperienced
manly are wobbly (at best)
cowboys are under heaps of pressure
eels are chokers

not over by a long shot

m0j0

Bench
Yeah, Fibro. You're probably right. but at least we look good while losing. Unlike them freakish, incestuous, redneck mountain men out your way. ;-)

m0j0

Bench
gregstar said:
you're certainly not out of the race yet you knobs!

look at your competitors:

sharks are sh*t
saints are wobbly (at best)
warriors are inconsistent on a good day
tigers are inexperienced
manly are wobbly (at best)
cowboys are under heaps of pressure
eels are chokers

not over by a long shot

Yeah, I realise we're not out of it mathematically, but we're currently out of the 8 which means we actually have to win games and not just rely on others to lose. Take a look at our run home:
Storm
Dragons
Panthers
Sharks
Rabbitohs
Broncos
Bulldogs

Now, on current form and without bias, I reckon we are no hope against the Storm next week, Dragons should be close but we'll probably lose it in the last 10 minutes, Panthers - we should win, Sharks - depends on how their going...bit of a 50/50 game, Rabbitohs - although they're having a good run we should win, Broncos - no chance, Bulldogs - little to no chance.

Given that, I see us winning 3 of the last 7, 4 at best. Even if we do get 4, that means we'll finish with 12 wins and 12 losses - 28 points. On that, we could possibly squeeze into the 8 on for and against. If we finish in 8th, we'll get pummelled by the Broncos in the first week anyway.

gregstar

Referee
1 Broncos 16 13 0 3 2 145 30
2 Eels 17 12 0 5 1 143 26
3 Sharks 17 10 0 7 2 -10 24
4 Storm 17 10 0 7 1 202 22
5 Cowboys 17 9 0 8 2 63 22
6 Sea Eagles 17 10 0 7 1 3 22
7 Wests Tigers 17 9 0 8 2 -5 22
8 Bulldogs 17 8 1 8 2 -31 21
9 Roosters 17 8 0 9 2 23 20
10 Dragons 17 9 0 8 1 20 20
11 Raiders 16 8 0 8 2 -55 20
12 Warriors 18 8 0 10 1 27 18

4 pts between you & 3rd spot - get a grip

Y2Eel

First Grade
you guys will still make the 8, it'llbe a close one but you prob will finish in 8th spot ahead of the raiders west tigers and the dragons

m0j0

Bench
gregstar said:
4 pts between you & 3rd spot - get a grip

I understand that Gregstar, and I can see how you think I'm over-reacting, but we have a few tough games on the run into the finals and we really need to win the games we are expected to win. Tonight was one of those games.

I honestly thought we played fairly well tonight (although we were helped out a bit by the ref). The error count was much lower than it has been recently and Finch/Soward actually looked half decent. The fact that we let a 14 point lead slip is a bit of a worry although you almost come to expect that from teams like the Warriors.

Granted, we can still make the 8, however I feel that if we do, we'll be cannon fodder in the first round of the finals. At the beginning of the season I tipped us to finish in 6th and at this stage it looks like they're going to under-achieve my expectations. Of course, we could turn it around and win most of our games from here on in, but we've been saying that for most of the season.

If you look at 2002, after round 21, we'd only won 10 games, drawn 1 and lost 8 and then won every game for the rest of the season. We could be in almost the same position in a couple of weeks. The difference is that we don't have a Freddy this year.

avsterooster

Juniors
we had our chance in the last 3 years to create a dinasty, 3 comps in a row would of been an outstanding acheivment
now we need others to have their turn

ozzie

Bench
To Fibroman - our pretty boys are doing better than your clowns!! How can you critise our team when you guys are nearly last..again

As for the rest - our forward pack lacked a lot last night and it told in the end. A well earnt win by the Warriors and they knew where to hit us late.

Rose has a bigger stomach than I have - if we keep him he should be shown the sand hills every day for 6 weeks. I think he has some talent but lack of fitness is not good.

Schubert had a solid game and Soward continues to play well. If we miss the 8, and I am not saying we will, we have something to build on with the young footballers coming through.

Morley, Crocker, Cross and a fit Wing would have made a hell of a difference last night.

The future is looking good

Bench
Southern Rooster said:
The Tigers will finish 5th.
Mate I hope your right,some September action with my team involved would be great.
I think the Roosters play better against the good teams,don't be surprised if they start winning games now their draw is harder.

Fibroman

First Grade
Pity we've got Gowie stitched up or you guys could slide the brown paper proverbial under the coffee shop table and poach another Penrith champion ala Freddie to bail you guys out of the mess you find yourselves in.

Don't worry.......you will probably sneak into the 8 somehow which is better than we are going to do this year.

I believe the benchmark has well and truly moved north of Bondi this year.

Wobbygong

First Grade
If the Chooks make the eight, it will be on the back of their defence, however their attack offers so little now and they don't appear to have many points in them. So they'll more than likely go out the back door pretty quickly against the likes of the Broncos , Cowboys, Melbourne and Parra.

You can't take them seriously if they can't beat the likes of the Warriors or Tigers.

RoostarGirl

Juniors
There is absolutely no point if we scrap into and finish on 8 because we have no hope against the Broncs at home anyway.

I've resigned myself to the fact that our season is all but over with a few matches to maybe cheer about.

After last seasons disappointments it sits okay with me this season. I'll be spewing if the pattern this year continues to next year however.