What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's Official, Eric and Joel signs..

The Colonel

Immortal
We could be looking at Hayne as a long term centre - remember he is still only 18. Hagan has mentioned as much as well saying he could see him at centre long term. Joel is being used primarily at wing at the present stage so you could question the purchase of Lett as well. Good players adapt with time - Ettingshausen, Alexander, Kenny - all represented at different positions to where they played in their club side.

The Flegg side is a prime example - Zac Russ has played for NSW and the AIS at centre and fullback, spent the first few weeks on the wing and now moves into the centres this week.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
eelavation said:
just bare in mind that those 3 players mentioned can play every position from 1 to 5, doesn't mean they can play it well but they have played there in the past.

Yeah my point was that by far their best positions are all in the number 1 jersey and that I believe they all want to play that position (not sure about Joel's favourite but he is a fullback and fullback only IMHO). 3 into 1 just won't go

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
The Colonel said:
We could be looking at Hayne as a long term centre - remember he is still only 18. Hagan has mentioned as much as well saying he could see him at centre long term. Joel is being used primarily at wing at the present stage so you could question the purchase of Lett as well. Good players adapt with time - Ettingshausen, Alexander, Kenny - all represented at different positions to where they played in their club side.

The Flegg side is a prime example - Zac Russ has played for NSW and the AIS at centre and fullback, spent the first few weeks on the wing and now moves into the centres this week.

I believe Jarryd has stated his his favourite position is fullback and I don't think you can argue that his best postion is fullback like Reddy and and Burt.

The thing about Flegg is that generally the players and coaching staff are not sure of their best positions. By first grade the coaches should know their best positions and I think it is obvious what they are.

Just on Lett, I believe he is a better centre/winger than fullback. He and Reddy should swap in reserve grade

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Yeah my point was that by far their best positions are all in the number 1 jersey and that I believe they all want to play that position (not sure about Joel's favourite but he is a fullback and fullback only IMHO). 3 into 1 just won't go

the point is that the 3 players concerned a versatile enough to play in other positions they're not as restricted as someone like Eric Grothe or John Williams who will never see the light of day outside being a winger.

all three are handy and will be valueble imo.

The Colonel

Immortal
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
I believe Jarryd has stated his his favourite position is fullback and I don't think you can argue that his best postion is fullback like Reddy and and Burt.

Justin Hodges once stated his favourite position was fullback but would you move him from the centres now?

The thing about Flegg is that generally the players and coaching staff are not sure of their best positions. By first grade the coaches should know their best positions and I think it is obvious what they are.

Many first graders chop and change their positions over time - Minichiello started out life on the wing and grew to become one of the better fullbacks in the game, Lockyer moved from fullback to five eighth, Wiki has moved from centre to backrow to prop. Players evolve and change over time. My guess would be as long as he is in first grade at this stage of his career he will be happy. Inglis is still working out his best position - at 5/8 at present and fullback is probably his best role but can play centre and wing without much hassle.

Kidwell, Berrigan, Gidley, Sutton, Fa'alogo, Brett Hodgson, Mannering..... have all started their first grade careers in different positions to where they are now.

It isn't just Flegg where this happens..... and players will be moved about - it isn't necessarily where they best suit themselves rather where they best suit the team too.

Just on Lett, I believe he is a better centre/winger than fullback. He and Reddy should swap in reserve grade

Maybe, Lett has definitely gotten better as time has prgoressed.....

Kornstar

Coach
Just on Eric, did anyone else notice that he was using a bit more footwork on Saturday, he actually looked quite comfortable doing it too......imo that is the only thing missing from his game

Latest posts