What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its that time of year. Your top 17 for 2010 and general discussion for 2010

roopy

Referee
Well Roopy, Creative accounting Melbourne Storm style could be the answer to your question.
To be fair to the Storm, they lose several quality players every year, and most seem to go backwards after leaving the Storm - all because they are very good at getting the best out of players who go there.
You could do a whole list of guys like Cross, Matt King, Matt Orford etc etc who were RL journeymen in team after team, but RL greats during their time at the Storm.

Johns Magic

Referee
To be fair to the Storm, they lose several quality players every year, and most seem to go backwards after leaving the Storm - all because they are very good at getting the best out of players who go there.
You could do a whole list of guys like Cross, Matt King, Matt Orford etc etc who were RL journeymen in team after team, but RL greats during their time at the Storm.

Exactly.

Cross, Orford, Crocker, Jeremy Smith, King, Turner, Hill, Webster, Bell, Folau, Geyer.

All good players that the Storm have had to offload in recent years due to the salary cap. And that's just off the top of my head.

I respect the Storm and how they've maintained their squad over the years, because they've kept their core 4 player(Slater, Smith, Cronk, Inglis) and built around them with whatever they can find.

Winning that grand-final yesterday after being crucified by the salary cap for all these years was a huge testament to them.

otori

Juniors
Exactly.

Cross, Orford, Crocker, Jeremy Smith, King, Turner, Hill, Webster, Bell, Folau, Geyer.

All good players that the Storm have had to offload in recent years due to the salary cap. And that's just off the top of my head.

I respect the Storm and how they've maintained their squad over the years, because they've kept their core 4 player(Slater, Smith, Cronk, Inglis) and built around them with whatever they can find.

Winning that grand-final yesterday after being crucified by the salary cap for all these years was a huge testament to them.

The Sunday Mail actually had a really good article detailing all the players that the Storm had lost since 06 and it was approximately 3mill of talent. They listed Cross as 250,000.

Yosh

Coach
Waow they really paid Cross 250k? I doubt that though he wasnt really a somebody before the storm...

Hanscholo

Bench
Its not what the Storm spend on their Top 25 which is getting the business done for them, they are able to recycle a bunch of players outside of their elite, and they do it well. What i would like to know, from an outsiders perspective is how it is possible for a team that has a tiny jnr system, that lacks the quality of the NSW and QLD systems how their jnr sides continually make finals, and how their NYC won the fkn premiership in the same year their snr side did.

All accusations aside for one moment. They are making the rest of us look like idiots. Clearly their jnr development is vastly superior to anything in the league and has been for at least 5 years, and yet none of the other clubs are waking up to this and copying their style, perhaps with the exception of the Roosters. I would love to know the story behind how they got the likes of Smith, Inglis, Slater, Blair, Johnson, Cronk. When surely other clubs must have had eyes on all of them, Inglis and Smith in particular were superstars in the making as teenagers....My question to the guys on here that understand jnr systems better than me is...how are they doing this? Consistently.

If they have a programme that is working then we need to look closely at it, sports administration is an area we are seemingly either totally inept at or just falling behind the market leaders in. Either way, we need to put a programme together that brings elite jnrs in from a young age. I have a funny feeling that the reason we dont do this is money, we are a cheap club, lets face it. We lost our coach because we were cheap, we hired another guy because he was cheap we lack the funds to go out and bring 16 year olds to newcastle and pay for their accomodation and education while they learn the craft.

Another problem is just looking in our backyard and the upper hunter. Take a bloke like Robbie O'Davis, we brought him down as a kid of 16 or 17 years of age because he had heaps of talent, he went through our jnr system and became an international who won us a grand final and one a clive churchill in the process...its been some time since we did this.

Last edited:

Rolla

Juniors
1. Kurt Gidley
2. Aku Uate (outside doogs)
3. Junior Sau
4. Adam MacDougall
5. Cooper Vuna (outside jnr)
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. George Ndaira
8. Mark Taufua
9. Isaac De Gois
10. Ben Cross
11. Chris Houston
12. Zeb Taia
13. Steve Simpson

14. Matt Hilder
15. Danny Wicks
16. Evan Tui
17. Richie Fa'aoso

18. Corey Patterson (First backrow replacement. Or on the bench depending on who performs off season)
19. Pete Mata' utia (first choice replacement 1/3/4)
20. James McManus (first wing replacement)
21. Dan Tolar (first prop replacement)
22/23. Scotty/dodge (half and 5/8 replacement accordingly)

Frederick

Staff member
1. Kurt Gidley
2. Aku Uate (outside doogs)
3. Junior Sau
4. Adam MacDougall
5. Cooper Vuna (outside jnr)
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. George Ndaira
8. Mark Taufua
9. Isaac De Gois
10. Ben Cross
11. Chris Houston
12. Zeb Taia
13. Steve Simpson

14. Matt Hilder
15. Danny Wicks
16. Evan Tui
17. Richie Fa'aoso

18. Corey Patterson (First backrow replacement. Or on the bench depending on who performs off season)
19. Pete Mata' utia (first choice replacement 1/3/4)
20. James McManus (first wing replacement)
21. Dan Tolar (first prop replacement)
22/23. Scotty/dodge (half and 5/8 replacement accordingly)
I was just thinking about this today...would be worth a shot

Reading the paper today we kick off our pre-season November 4. People rave on about the big $$$ the NRL players get, but by god they earn it.

Honestly suprises me clubs dont get them back late November @ the earliest.

Baldwin

Juniors
  1. Gidley
  2. McManus
  3. Sau
  4. Mad Dog
  5. Vuna
  6. Mullen
  7. Dureau(when he came in for Rogers we were heaps better IMO)
  8. Taufua
  9. DeGois
  10. Houston
  11. Simmo
  12. Taia
  13. Hilder
  14. McDonnell
  15. Fa'aso
  16. Karawana(good for fresh legs)
  17. Paterson(just in there)
Id have Cross and Ciraldo but didnt see enough of them, Evarn T im looking forward to see:D

Rolla

Juniors
  1. Gidley
  2. McManus
  3. Sau
  4. Mad Dog
  5. Vuna
  6. Mullen
  7. Dureau(when he came in for Rogers we were heaps better IMO)
  8. Taufua
  9. DeGois
  10. Houston
  11. Simmo
  12. Taia
  13. Hilder
  14. McDonnell
  15. Fa'aso
  16. Karawana(good for fresh legs)
  17. Paterson(just in there)
Id have Cross and Ciraldo but didnt see enough of them, Evarn T im looking forward to see:D

I dont like mcdonnell on the bench. Doesnt offer impact or utility imo. Also, while i havent minded marvs contributions this year, i dont think he should be in our strongest side. Hard to leave a fit cross out as well.