What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's the titan on the Coast

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Charlie Saab said:
yes i do, i understand it real well, but tell me what signifiance that has with the actual area.
I say again, how many dragons inhabited the stg area in the 1920s or even before that.

The area is and was known as the Saint George area.

There was also a tale of St George and Dragon Slaying. As such, they tied it all in and St george eventually became the Dragons Slayers, and later Dragons.

There is relevance mate, sorry.

glockers

Juniors
Um Titans was a Victorian Basketball team in the national league that folded.

Pirates are the Hunter based team.

Migth as well stick to the name no other team is currently using.

Mr Saab

Referee
Dodger said:
The area is and was known as the Saint George area.

There was also a tale of St George and Dragon Slaying. As such, they tied it all in and St george eventually became the Dragons Slayers, and later Dragons.

There is relevance mate, sorry.

Fine, i dont want a slanging match over a mascot name.
Then tell me relevance of the tigers with balmain and bears of nth sydney.

all i am saying is that a team doesnt HAVE to be named after something to do with the area.
I would prefer to be named the titans than the stingers or pirates...seriously.
Pirates? Stingers? lame as they come

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Charlie Saab said:
Fine, i dont want a slanging match over a mascot name.
Then tell me relevance of the tigers with balmain and bears of nth sydney.

all i am saying is that a team doesnt HAVE to be named after something to do with the area.
I would prefer to be named the titans than the stingers or pirates...seriously.
Pirates? Stingers? lame as they come

Doesn't have to but why consciously decide against it?

I'm sure the GC would associate with something more ocean or beach related than titans.

Mr Saab

Referee
gold coast have bee named

Giants
Seagulls (relevant)
Chargers
Titans

as for why decide against it, ask michael searle. Surely they would have done alot of research to see what is the better name and not soley rely on a poll.
IMO they wanted Titans from day one (after they couldnt have dolphins)

God-King Dean

Immortal
Broncos has to be the most embarrassing name given to an Australian team, in any sport. It should be Brumbies at least.

Hass

Juniors
Immortal said:
I absolutely hate it when a teams name is reduced to something that has nothing to do with locality. How many Titans have you seen around Gold Coast? At least Pirates has something to do with the ocean.

That's why Ironmen would have been such a fitting name for the Gold Coast complemented with the colours of red, white and gold.

Unfortunately it didn't poll enough on the highly sophisticated internet survey so it didn't make the final 3.

Of the 3 left Stingers is the only one that has a connection to the area and I've always felt that has made for the strongest nicknames.

Eels, Rabbitohs, Sea-Eagles and Sharks all relate to the local area.
Tigers, Magpies and Roosters were natural names that sprung from the established club colours.
Dragons is linked to the mythology of St. George.
Even Knights in steel armour and Jets being under the flightpath were names that made sense.

Titans has all the meaning of One-Day Cricket match between Zimbabwe and New Zealand.

It probably doesn't matter in the end, but it would have been nice to have a fitting mascot for what we hope will be a succesful club.

Cheers.

tommytomlin

Bench
I wanted Stingers/Sting Rays just for all the headlines that would follow in the papers

Stingers Stung by Storm

Stingers Stand Strong at Stadium Australia

It is the Daily Telegraph's wet dream

Red Bear

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
there are plenty of clubs that have names nothing to do with their location.
How many dragons were running around the Stg area in 1921?
How many tigers were roaming leichhardt in 1908?
How many bears were roaming nth syd in 1908?
How many raiders are their in canberra? Politicians excluded?
f**k you dont even know your history. We were the Shoremen in 1908(need to explain that one?). Changed when we got sponsored by Big Bear supermarkets in 1959.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Thunderstruck said:
Why the hell are some of you people so goddamn militant about the name? It's not even officially announced yet and your opinion matter as much as a crap on the wheel of a car to those who are actually getting the team together :roll:

If you wanna argue about the name, argue about the made up name that is the Rabbitoh. It may have a historical background but there's no such thing as a rabbitoh. There are rabbits but no rabbitoh.

Go google or wiki Titans if you don't know what the word stands for.

You just contradicted yourself on a subject that in no manner is related to this topic. How can something that doesn't exist have a "historical background." A rabbitoh is a person who sells rabbit meat, pure and simple. Stop talking rot and making misleading statements that have no basis in fact or reality.

Unless you can prove me otherwise, the word Rabbitoh is not a noun, it's a made up word used to sell rabbits.

The most oft repeated version of the origin of the ‘Rabbitohs' name has it that many of the players used to catch and sell rabbits, calling out ‘Rabbitoh!" as they walked the neighbourhood in search of income. Many claimed that players selling rabbits began during The Depression of the 1930s, but the club's stalwart administrator S.G. Ball maintained the practice began in the old Souths rugby union days well before 1908.

A less favoured version has the 'Rabbitoh' term as a derogatory reference to Souths home ground and surrounds being littered with "rabbit ‘oles" (holes). Whatever the origin of the name ‘rabbitohs' it is instantly recognisable, uniquely Australian, and synonymous with no other sporting club on the globe.

Knightmare

Coach
ROOSTERS- The clubs uniform was inspired by the touring French team, who had a Rooster as their mascot. Also, Bondi being the most easterly point, the sun would hit Bondi first, and the Rooster crows at first light.

RABBITOHS- As explained, there is a historical link to the districts Rugby team hawking rabbits door to door in their team jumpers yelling 'RABBITOH!'

EELS- Parramatta- Aboriginal for "The place where the Eels lie down." enough said.

TIGERS- They wore black and orange striped jerseys. Why wouldn't they end up being called the Tigers?

MAGPIES- Ashfield used to have a lot of orchards, subsequently there were a lot of magpies in the district. The fact that the team wore black and white only added to it.

BEARS- As explained, due to a sponsorship deal with Big Bear supermarket.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Thunderstruck said:
Unless you can prove me otherwise, the word Rabbitoh is not a noun, it's a made up word used to sell rabbits.

You've demonstrated quite clearly that you have very little understanding of the fact that English is constantly evolving and that Rabbitoh is indeed a noun.

All nouns are words derived, invented, transformed and reinterpreted from other sources including Latin and every other language invented. You'll need to grasp that before you can even start to reply again.

That you are even attempting to argue that a "made up" word cannot be a noun when it is clearly identified by the community even within your own example by purpose is a testement to the sheer lunacy that your logic is based upon.

It must be awfully confusing if you're a person who can only accept words that have been entered into the Oxford Dictionary or have since been marginalised.

Misty Bee

First Grade
OK - Club names and relevence.

BRISBANE - Broncos. haven't a bloody clue.
BALMAIN - played in black and gold stripes - hence were known at the Tigers
CANBERRA - Raiders - named so as they would come to Sydney to 'raid' competition points, as the Vikings did.
CANTERBURY - Bulldogs. Marketing move - used to be 'Berries" - derived from the name Canterbury
CRONULLA - Sharks. Seaside area.
EASTS - Roosters. This I don't know. BUt taking a stab - they wore red, white and blue hoops, and were known as the Tricolours. ricolour - french flag. French mascot = Les Chanteleers (rooster)
ILLAWARRA - Steelers - as in Pittsburgh - they come from a steel producing city.
MANLY - Sea Eagles. Once was seagulls, but change name to have a more aggresive mascot.
MELBOURNE - Storm. Silly mascot reflecting on their weather.
NEW ZEALAND - Warriors - reflecting on Maori heritage (one of the best club emblems as well)
NEWCASTLE - Knights. Knights live in Castles. Also reflects the steel industry
NEWTOWN - Bluebags (they used to play in blue). Then Jets (that's all you bloody hear in that area!)
NORTH QUEENSLAND - Cowboys - reflects the remote cattle stations up north.
NORTH SYDNEY - Shoremen - players used to man the ferries and docks on the north shore before the Harbour Bridge was built. Were also unofficially the 'Bloodstained n****rs' because of their red and black jumpers. Became the Bears after sponsorship of the local Bear Supermarket. Also reflects the Bears at Taronga Zoo.
PARRAMATTA - Eels. Parramatta is local Aboriginal for 'place of many Eels' Once were the 'Fruitpickers' - reflecting the prevelence of local orchards
PENRITH - Panthers - reflecting the legend of local sightings of Panthers, reported to live in inaccessabel bushland in the district
SOUTH QUEENSLAND - Crushers - reflecting the Sugar Cane industry
ST GEORGE - Dragons - reflecting old english tales.
SOUTH SYDNEY - Rabbitohs - club officials used to sell locally caught Rabbits in the depression to keep the club afloat. They used to walk the streets and call "Rabbitoh" to sell their goods.
WESTS - magpies - played in black and white, like magpies.

Then we have the Gold Coast:

Giants - taking from the Americanism's of the Steelers and Raiders - no link at all
Seagulls - traken from Seagulls League Club in Tweed Heads, where they played.
Chargers - Absolutely no idea. Maybe they liked Valiants?

drake

First Grade
ST GEORGE - Dragons - reflecting old english tales.
Sorry to be pedantic, we were the Dragonslayers, for obvious reasons, which was shortened to dragons.