What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's time to go...........

bronco_buddy

Juniors
Who I'd cut:

Hala - can't see him improving, and his work rate is average at best
Maranta - toooooooooooooooo slow and poor finisher
Prince - 2 words 'speed bump'
Norman - Poor defensively, with the ball offers nothing, his mind has obviously f#*ked off to Parra already

Who I'd put on notice:

McGuire - defensively goes alright but his go forward has stalled
McCullough - sure he's a good defender but we seem to do more in attack when Hunt's at dummy half & Baptise is more creative
Dodds - barely a QCup standard player
Glenn - probably more the coaches fault for his average form but I and I think most of the fans expect more.

unbreaK

Juniors
Hala, McG and Glenn are all worthy of staying.

Hala - Needs to work on his fitness / stamina in the off-season
McG - Best utilized as an impact off the bench, much like Fifita
Glenn - Stacked on a few KG's to try and be more of a battering ram, better as a light, hole running back.

Nerd

Bench
McCullough must be one of the few hookers in the game who can't play 80 mins. Griffin needs him on the field for 80 minutes or replace him with Hunt.

bronco_buddy

Juniors
I really can't remember the last time Hala had an impact on a game, he plays @ 25 mins a game and does Sweet FA.

ranga68

Juniors
Who I'd cut:

Hala - can't see him improving, and his work rate is average at best
Maranta - toooooooooooooooo slow and poor finisher
Prince - 2 words 'speed bump'
Norman - Poor defensively, with the ball offers nothing, his mind has obviously f#*ked off to Parra already

Who I'd put on notice:

McGuire - defensively goes alright but his go forward has stalled
McCullough - sure he's a good defender but we seem to do more in attack when Hunt's at dummy half & Baptise is more creative
Dodds - barely a QCup standard player
Glenn - probably more the coaches fault for his average form but I and I think most of the fans expect more.

McGuire would get more metres if the ball was passed to him instead of using him as a blocking runner all the time

Jason Simmons

Juniors
Big article in the Courier Fail today. Broncos are thinking of moving out of Red Hill.

Smoke-bomb alert!

No wonder they can't sign players. Red Hill isn't good enough apparently and they are focussed on looking for new facilities!!!

JamesBrandy

Juniors
McCullough needs to go. 25 minutes into a game and it takes him 3 tackes before he can walk back onside to actually get to dummy half. He's got to be one of the slowest, most unfit hookers in the competition. We need some speed out of dummy half.

IMO I think we need to drop Maranta, Prince and McCullough.

Thaiday should be stamped 'never to play front row again' and leave him on the right fringe for good. Glenn and Parker to join him in the back row. Glenn to be used as a fringe runner again, rather than battering ram.

Gillett has made some really lazy efforts in defence around the ruck and he is better suited as an impact player coming off the bench, he really carves up tired opposition forwards.

Dazzat

First Grade
McCullough has received a lot of credos as Cameron Smith-lite. He looks a bit like Cameron and supposedly plays like Cameron. Both are not hugely fast out of dummy half, but supposedly makes up for their lack of speed with their smarts.

I think it is now clear that McCullough is no-where near the quality of Smith, and hasn't shown the improvement necessary after three years in the top job.

If you look at most successful teams at the moment, they have speedy options for dummy half either starting or coming off the bench. We have Hunt - not a real No. 9, with Baptiste and Glanville, both very fast out of dummy half, cooling their heels.

Either we get rid of McCullough or put Hunt in his right place in the halves. Choose your poison.

Big Pete

Referee
The answer is pretty simple - kill the Batman.

Or rather...

9. McCullough
14. Baptiste

Hunt either plays halfback or doesn't play at all.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
That's if Baptise doesn't leave, there was talks of him going to Panthers a few weeks ago.

Broncos just lack attack, their defensive efforts have been there for majority of the games but not the full 80. Their halves are over the hill however I believe that Wallace is a hooker playing halfback.

McGuire, Thaiday and Hala need some intense off season training to lose some unneeded kgs and improve their fitness. I never rated Norman or Maranta or Reed for that matter. Glenn should probably be running lines instead of being a battering ram. Parker keeps getting better as he ages which is good.

Big Pete

Referee
The defensive issues for the most part remain nothing new to the club. Our marker defence and work around the ruck has always been average but Bennett was able to get the boys to scramble like their lives depended on it. The difference is now we've got a right fringe with Gillett, Prince, Hodges & Maranta. It's a nightmare and it gives teams an easy get out of jail target. Spread it right and you've got us in 6s and 7s.

The problem with the Broncos attack is that it is so routine. The spine rarely plays what's in-front of them and basically every set on the line is essentially the same. Second man play Norman even when the numbers aren't there and then we'll just cross-field kick to a corner in which we score bugger all tries.

It's a shame too because both halves last week actually showed some good fore-sight. Prince's grubbers were exactly the right play against the opposition, shame the same can't be said about the pass...

It's one area I've liked about Hunt's game. He does read the play well and does take the right options. His execution lacks polish and his problem is that he doesn't take enough command out there. Both those can be fixed but we need to back talent.

Bretto

Bench
The defensive issues for the most part remain nothing new to the club. Our marker defence and work around the ruck has always been average but Bennett was able to get the boys to scramble like their lives depended on it. The difference is now we've got a right fringe with Gillett, Prince, Hodges & Maranta. It's a nightmare and it gives teams an easy get out of jail target. Spread it right and you've got us in 6s and 7s.

The problem with the Broncos attack is that it is so routine. The spine rarely plays what's in-front of them and basically every set on the line is essentially the same. Second man play Norman even when the numbers aren't there and then we'll just cross-field kick to a corner in which we score bugger all tries.

It's a shame too because both halves last week actually showed some good fore-sight. Prince's grubbers were exactly the right play against the opposition, shame the same can't be said about the pass...

It's one area I've liked about Hunt's game. He does read the play well and does take the right options. His execution lacks polish and his problem is that he doesn't take enough command out there. Both those can be fixed but we need to back talent.

This x infinity.

Hunt reads the play better than any other player we currently have. He's always the one getting back for the grubber kick, or catching the chip over the top, or reading the wide pass. He knows what opposition Halfbacks are going to do. Likewise when he's in attack, you can see him taking different options - Blindside pass, inside ball, hitting the short runner... He does a lot of different things. They don't always pay off, and sometimes look a bit silly, but the guy hasn't been given enough opportunity to polish those parts of his game.

He is easily our best option at Halfback moving forward.

ggmu

Juniors
This x infinity.

Hunt reads the play better than any other player we currently have. He's always the one getting back for the grubber kick, or catching the chip over the top, or reading the wide pass. He knows what opposition Halfbacks are going to do. Likewise when he's in attack, you can see him taking different options - Blindside pass, inside ball, hitting the short runner... He does a lot of different things. They don't always pay off, and sometimes look a bit silly, but the guy hasn't been given enough opportunity to polish those parts of his game.

He is easily our best option at Halfback moving forward.

What do u guys think the best way to use Hunt? In straight away at halfback or rest of the year in Qld cup playing halfback to get used to the position again and starting 7 round 1 2014.

I already know Hooks answer. Leave on the bench.

Bretto

Bench
I would put him Halfback this week with Wallace at Five Eighth. Let him know he has free reign to play his natural game. Use Wallace's long kicking game and leave the creativity and shorter kicks to Hunt. Prince gets early retirement or he can come off the bench.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
I believe Hunt is a victim of the current Queensland Cup set up.

If we had the luxury of having our own second grade squad I'm sure he'd be playing there in a heart beat. As is, these players feel like they're out of sight out of mind playing in second grade and only really get to spend a day per week with their QCup affiliate if that's where they're destined to play that weekend.

That isn't ideal for a halfback who needs to know his team inside and out.

ggmu

Juniors
I believe Hunt is a victim of the current Queensland Cup set up.

If we had the luxury of having our own second grade squad I'm sure he'd be playing there in a heart beat. As is, these players feel like they're out of sight out of mind playing in second grade and only really get to spend a day per week with their QCup affiliate if that's where they're destined to play that weekend.

That isn't ideal for a halfback who needs to know his team inside and out.

Why don't we have our own 2nd grade team in the Qld cup? Seems like there would be great benefit in it.

Chainshada

Juniors
We need to sort out the spine this year rather than during the pre-season..if we get Barba, it's not as a big a deal, since he could probably slot in well regardless of who's in the halves.

If Hunt is to be played in the halves, put him in for the rest of the year, preferably with Wallace at 6, throw Baptiste on the bench and either dump Norman, or make him ease off his kicking game..He wants to be a half and will take the kicking game into his own hands if he has the chance, lessening Hunt's input.

5-6 games with the new pairing should make fine tuning how they play together in the off season much simpler.

Latest posts