What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary Confirmed As New Panthers Coach

maple_69

Bench
My preferences would be 1. Des Hasler 2. Steve Folkes 3. Daniel Anderson/Nathan Brown

Sounds like Des Hasler is off the market and Steve Folkes isn't even being mentioned so I'd take Anderson or Brown.

Anderson- I'm not sure how his style of play would really go for us. Parra and NZ were both very attacking and unpredictable. Obviously for both teams that can go both ways. Certainly it would bring the best out of a few of our players. Given the lack of halves available, he has also got a team playing well with poor halves which works in his favour.

Brown- I would write off his failures with Saints. Too young, no experience, too close to the team. Yet he did make the finals regularly, and while that might not sound impressive, its more than Penrith have managed for the last 7 years with strong rosters. His side will probably be top of the ESL by early tomorrow morning. He's got them to 3rd and 5th previously, has actually won a few finals games and I also notice his teams have had league leading defence for the last 3 years which certainly would be nice. The year previous to Brown taking over, Huddersfield had terrible defence and came close to last.

I wouldn't be disappointed with either of them, definitely an improvement.

maple_69

Bench
Another note. For the last few years, Huddersfield's wingers have been prolific. David Hodgson and Leroy Cudjoe have been close to the top of the try scorer lists for the last 2 years. Lends me to thinking Huddersfield get their ball to their backs, even though they don't have notable halves.
Also looking at Cudjoe, he's only 23 and has played for England, he could be a good tag along if Brownie comes.

murraymob

Coach
very dissapointed with the players reaction in the media tonight.Considering a few of them only stayed in first grade due to Elliott picking them
It is clear that there egos are out of control.They are paid well to play and are curently underachieving .There attention should be on learning how pass more than once ,offloading at least once a set.
For me there are only 2 choices
1.Alex Melville u20 coach a tactician who knows the younger players well
2.Steve Folkes long been known as a hard nut.could be what this lot needs

Copperhead

Juniors
I wouldn't mind Melville either. No coincidence that his one year as an assistant in first grade was our only decent effort.

very dissapointed with the players reaction in the media tonight.Considering a few of them only stayed in first grade due to Elliott picking them
It is clear that there egos are out of control.They are paid well to play and are curently underachieving .There attention should be on learning how pass more than once ,offloading at least once a set.

What did the players have to say?

stretcher

Juniors
very dissapointed with the players reaction in the media tonight.considering a few of them only stayed in first grade due to elliott picking them
it is clear that there egos are out of control.they are paid well to play and are curently underachieving .there attention should be on learning how pass more than once ,offloading at least once a set.
1.alex melville u20 coach a tactician who knows the younger players well
2.steve folkes long been known as a hard nut.could be what this lot needs
you have got to be kidding yourself about melville he has zero runs on the board in regards to first grade he was blessed with good teams in the juniors and lets not forget they didnt want him over culnane besides that point most first grade coaches have played 1st grade or origin or test players it seems a prerequisite and penrith have steve georgallis,wayne collins,alex melville and mick withers as assistants so giving alex the soul rap for last years success is an insult to these guys and by all reports from players that have been coached by him when he stops talking about himself for a minute hes not that good a coach...

chrisD

Coach
This will be his last SOO series - Six in a row a record that will stand for a long long time.
Locky to be his replacement.

He's actually announced that has he? (serious question, I'm out of the loop here.)

Anyway, my take on it is Gould+Gower for 2012 and we're a premiership threat.

parra pete

Referee
He's actually announced that has he? (serious question, I'm out of the loop here.)

Anyway, my take on it is Gould+Gower for 2012 and we're a premiership threat.

No...No announcement by Mal...Why would he announce it?

Caged Panther

First Grade
Gould I think would be good but from what i've heard won't even consider returning to the coaching ranks until such time as his 9 contract ends.

I was pretty annoyed by the reaction of the players tonight. Why in gods name would they consult the players when they are very clearly on record with their glowing opinion of Elliott, so they can hear them say 'we want Elliott retained.' Please!

Tells me the players are far close to elliott and the right decision has been made.

murraymob

Coach
Gould I think would be good but from what i've heard won't even consider returning to the coaching ranks until such time as his 9 contract ends.

I was pretty annoyed by the reaction of the players tonight. Why in gods name would they consult the players when they are very clearly on record with their glowing opinion of Elliott, so they can hear them say 'we want Elliott retained.' Please!

Tells me the players are far close to elliott and the right decision has been made.

i also was annoyed by the reaction of the players.Coach gone might be time to clean out a few over paid players as well

Caged Panther

First Grade
I kind of find it odd that so many people are talking about Elliott not being the right fit and the new coach needing to be the right fit.

To me such talk is rubbish. The fit at Penrith at the moment is one of sporadic successes breaking up long periods of under performance. The coach we employ for 2012 going forward is one who has about them the gravity and ability to mould the club to fit them and their agenda for building a successful team over the long term. To be honest i'm not sure I see that in any of the candidates being bandied about.

anjado

Juniors

They are told not too offload only the senior players are allowed to offload. It's good anyway he has done nothing Elliott to get an extension people feeling sorry for him would do well to remember he is Penrith's second longest serving coach. But is arguably the worst we have had.

What we need is a coach with better tactics. Someone who will help bring along junior players and one who will get Penrith to play a more exciting brand of football.

I think someone like Brown and Anderson or someone new like this would be exciting.

abpanther

Staff member