What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary Confirmed As New Panthers Coach

Fibroman

First Grade
A week ago I was very optimistic about Penrith's next 3 years.
One thing is for sure, we'll continue to leak halfback's under Stuart. Seijka will get a go and be dumped within a season and sign with Parramatta.

From what I've seen of Seijka, he's not that special. Penrith are persisting with him because they have invested too much time and money in him and need to justify it.

franklin2323

Immortal
A week ago I was very optimistic about Penrith's next 3 years.
One thing is for sure, we'll continue to leak halfback's under Stuart. Seijka will get a go and be dumped within a season and sign with Parramatta.

I had no optimisim. We get rubbish 2nd rate players why would coaching be any different?

maple_69

Bench
From what I've seen of Seijka, he's not that special. Penrith are persisting with him because they have invested too much time and money in him and need to justify it.

Certainly seems that way from the past 18 months of form. I'd certainly rather have him here than at Parramatta though, along with fellow 'haven't really kicked ons' Graham and Sammut.

On the coaching front, SMH running an article at the moment suggesting Rick Stone, Royce Simmons and Ricky Stuart were our shortlist. Stone is proabably staying at Newcastle, Simmons at St Helens, and Ricky being difficult.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-penriths-very-short-list-20110505-1eabe.html

Hopefully Stuart's reservation help us avoid that mistake and we can concentrate on Brown, Anderson, Hasler or Henjak.

LordLeague

Juniors
Can't believe Steve Folkes hasn't had more than the odd mention. He was very impressive at the Dogs, has stayed in touch with the game at the Tigers and I believe he could be the best medicine for the Panthers. He'd come at a good price too.

Folkes gets my vote.

LordLeague

Bwuce

Juniors
Gus is your man when he clears his media contract but any nuffie is going to condemn you to the fate of the Sharks or the Bunnies :-(

Bob

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ont-for-panthers/story-e6frg7mf-1226051437403

PENRITH chief executive Mick Leary revealed a sense of urgency over the appointment of a new coach yesterday as former Warriors and Parramatta mentor Daniel Anderson became the latest name linked with the club's vacant position for next season.

Leary refused to disclose the candidates the Panthers were chasing but added he had spoken to chairman Don Feltis over the need to resolve the matter as quickly as possible for the sake of recruitment and retention.

The club has a stack of players coming off contract at the end of the season including Test backrower Trent Waterhouse, Timana Tahu, Sandor Earl, Nigel Plum and Nathan Smith.

"I'm trying to resolve the matter as soon as I can so our players and supporters know where we're at," Leary said.

"It's important for our players that are coming off contract to know where they stand in being at the club or given an opportunity to look elsewhere.

"There's some decisions to be made but to do the right diligence I think it's very important for the incoming coach to have a very big say and input into who he wants."

Anderson, who guided the Eels to the 2009 grand final, parted ways with Parramatta at the end of last season and has spent recent months working as an expert analyst on ABC Radio.

However, The Weekend Australian was told yesterday Anderson is the new favourite for the position and he appears a perfect fit for the club as he hails from Sydney's western suburbs and is renowned as a master at developing young players.

Penrith officials have played their cards close to their chest, although the club confirmed an offer to Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens. He rejected a $1.5 million bid from the Panthers to sign an extension with the Tigers. NSW coach Ricky Stuart was thought to be the next in line but his management has vehemently denied any contact from Penrith. Given the sense of urgency over the position, that would support the view Anderson has emerged favourite.

The latest conjecture over Penrith's coaching position came as Leary took the unusual step this week of posting an open letter on the club's website to dispel speculation the football department runs on a shoestring budget.

There have been reports the club fell short in many areas including basics such as a full-time physiotherapist and strapper.

Leary said the club had three full-time assistant coaches, two full-time strength and conditioning coaches and two full-time gear stewards. The club also employed a wrestling coach, a physiotherapist (at a cost of $135,000), a club doctor, a certified strapper and spent $40,000 a season on massages.

Other costs included $100,000 to upgrade the gym, $52,000 on GPS units, $165,000 in training and playing apparel, $40,000 in vitamin supplements and $38,000 in compression garments.

Leary even went as far as spelling out that the club provided breakfasts at all stadium training sessions and meals for players and their families at all home games.

"At all times, players and coach's feedback is sought with regard to what additional resources are required and where budget allows, are provided," Leary wrote.

"As rugby league CEO, I have done extensive benchmarking on the other NRL clubs, their facilities and resources and (along with Panthers management) firmly believe we are one of the best resourced Sydney NRL clubs."

Leary denied he had posted the information over concerns potential coaches could be scared off by reports the football department was tight. "There was no thought in any part of that to convince anyone other than the fans," he said.

Bob

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...to-wayne-bennett/story-e6frexnr-1226051380696

NEWCASTLE coach Rick Stone will sign a new four-year deal this week to be Wayne Bennett's assistant at the Knights from next season.But the new deal will not preclude him from taking up a head coaching job at another club if an opportunity arises.

Stone confirmed yesterday he will have a clause in his new contract giving him an "out" if a head coaching job becomes available.

That means he is still very much in the mix to take over at Penrith if the favourite for the job, Ricky Stuart, decides against taking it.

Stone said yesterday he has had no contact from the Panthers in relation to succeeding Matt Elliott at the helm in 2012.

But his brother Steve, who acts as his manager, has been told by Penrith officials they are going through the initial process of finding a coach.

Asked if he was interested in the Penrith job, Stone said: "I'd be silly not to consider any head coaching job if one comes up but it's all hypothetical. There will be a clause in my new contract here allowing me to look at head coaching jobs elsewhere, but whether an opportunity comes up remains to be seen."

spartan2153

Juniors
Anderson is the bloke i want

They has had success at every club he has coached. Forget what happened at parra he was sabotaged from within & to still do what he done with that team was a miracle. They are now finding out that anderson performed miracles with those halves & hooker. Unfortunately he was never in charge of retention & osbourne was always the man pulling the strings hence why kearney had a clause in his contract saying he was in charge of all recruitment.

Ando is your man & as a parra supporter i hope he turns your club around like he tried to do to ours but was not allowed

zippee

Juniors
Why are we publicly announcing who we are targeting and what we are offering?

It makes us look desperate!!!

After all the "big names' reject our offer, we will end up signing Georgalis and have to pay him overs cos he will know no one else wants the gig

Penrith are desperate. They need to sort out the public feuding between the playing group and the front office. What coach would want to slot into that environment?

benntash

Juniors
In demand: ormer Origin and premiership-winning coach Phil Gould. Picture: Adam Head Source: The Daily Telegraph
PENRITH powerbrokers have hatched a plan to install Phil Gould as a coaching director next season.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned that the Panthers have discussed the move with Gould, who has been acting as a senior counsel for chairman Don Feltis since before the sacking of Matthew Elliott.

And the Panthers may be ready to announce their new coaching structure within the next 48 hours, with a strong push for current assistant Steve Georgallis to be made head coach with Gould as coaching director.

Gould and Feltis share a 20-year association, dating back to 1991 when Penrith won the premiership with the pair as coach and chief executive.

Initially, Feltis sought Gould's advice on how best to repair an organisation widely regarded as the NRL's sleeping giant.

GUS GOULD POLL
Who should be the Panthers' next coach?

Who should be the Panthers' next coach?
Philip Ronald Gould
Ricky Stuart
Steve Folkes
Terry Matterson
Steve Georgallis
Mick Potter
VOTE NOW
RELATED COVERAGE
Dan the man in front for Panthers The Australian, 1 day ago
Panthers launch $1.5m bid for Stuart FoxSports, 1 day ago
Joe railroaded into finding gravy train The Daily Telegraph, 2 days ago
Boardroom stoush looms at Penrith FoxSports, 6 days ago
Rebel bid for Panthers power The Daily Telegraph, 7 days ago

But after Tim Sheens rejected a $2.5 million four-year offer to return to Penrith, the Panthers want Gould.

Georgallis, Steve Folkes, Ricky Stuart, Terry Matterson and Mick Potter are all under consideration as head coach.

But Gould is the top target as coaching director, with the new head coach to report directly to him.

Gould met with Panthers powerbrokers in Penrith as recently as last Thursday as part of his continued role as an unpaid advisor.

Panthers chief executive Michael Leary was tight-lipped last night.

"There's a lot of people that have applied for the job but we're keeping everything confidential at this point in time," Leary said.

"I'm not going to mention any names because I can't at the moment.

"I'm hopefully going to get through this list quickly and get to the naming of a coach next week.

"For the benefit of our players and players who are off contract, we want to outline the direction of the club."

Pressed on Gould, Leary said: "I'm not going to comment."

Penrith are desperately seeking an experienced coach with a proven track record who can completely overhaul and revamp the club's greatest strength - its 8000-strong junior nursery.

With strong ties to current board member Greg Alexander and fellow Channel Nine identity Mark Geyer - both coached by Gould in the 1991 premiership side - the Panthers may succeed where other clubs have failed.

North Queensland attempted to entice Gould into a coaching director's role last season and St George Illawarra approached him in March. Both missed their man.

Any deal for Gould to return to Penrith would be contingent on him being able to balance his Channel Nine and other media commitments.

The latest twist in the Panthers' search for a coach comes after The Sunday Telegraph revealed seven days ago that a group of former Penrith players were considering running a rival boardroom ticket to challenge for control of the club.

Frustrated at the lack of results since winning the 2003 title, the ex-players intend to wage war against the current board at the November elections if they fail to deliver what they deem to be the infrastructure needed to stop the rot.

Snaring Gould would be viewed as a major coup for the current board.

%

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...6051749258?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+bi_rss

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Agree^^^

Gould recognises that our halves are junk too. So i am expecting changes in that area if he comes to Penrith.

I really think Walsh and/or Burns should be released, with Penrith paying a part of the contract. We will not move forward under any coach with our current halves.

Last edited:

stumpyone

Juniors
Georgallis is the one. He has the respect of the players, he gets himself involved with the juniors, and is approachable, not off with the pixies. Best of all he is keen to prove himself. Our first young coach was Tim Sheens made the semis for the 1st time, and set a platform. 2nd coach Gus Gould our 1st premiership. He might have stayed longer if events were different (RIP Ben Alexander). We need a coach to take advantage of our juniors. If we can save some dollars on a coach and put it into our juniors watch us roll. The dollars spent on junior development are pitiful. All the other clubs put us to shame. Our success will start at home. If Mick Leary cannot see that then he should retire.

Doomednow

Bench
Do we really want another coach who is chummy with the players?

So dream result would be Gould snared as coaching director, a decent head coach also appointed, and a new board in November. Then we can start to hope for a new era of success.

Caged Panther

First Grade
In two minds about this. I think it would be a great move but I think as soon as you appoint gould as a coaching director you would be culling your choice of first grade coach to a young coach looking for an opportunity or an ESL coaching looking to earn (or reearn) their stripes in the NRL.

I can't see an experienced coach like Folkes wanting to work under Gould without at the very least some very strict outline of where one's responsibilities ended and the others started.

franklin2323

Immortal
I really think Walsh and/or Burns should be released, with Penrith paying a part of the contract. We will not move forward under any coach with our current halves.
Hmm yet they tore teams up last year. People are under estimating how much of a loss Pritchard is. No other forward draws 3 defenders with or without the ball. That's where we lack no impact in the pack. Look at every good half. Always have a great backrower making room out wide