What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary hit with $20k breach notice

GongPanther

Referee
I think Ivan was reaching

His team blew the Raiders off the park in the first half, and then put the cue in the rack knowing the game was in the bag, the Raiders generally dont roll over under Stuart so they ended up "winning" the second half...

Officiating had not a lot to do with what happened in the 2nd half. Just a good team knowing the job was done. If Ivan had an issue with that, he should take that up with his team (and I'm sure he'll do just that)

Watch the game again (if you can bear it). When the Raiders player was tackled into touch, that is no different than any other you'll see. In fact, if that tackle was in a SOO game, it would have been fair game, and it would have been lauded for its exuberance. And that Canberra try on the line was obviously a no try as the ball was above the ground like an egg in an egg-cup. lol!

As far as I'm concerned, it's money well spent being that everything the refs do from now on in a Panthers game will be far more scrutinised.

The_Frog

First Grade
Watch the game again (if you can bear it). When the Raiders player was tackled into touch, that is no different than any other you'll see. In fact, if that tackle was in a SOO game, it would have been fair game, and it would have been lauded for its exuberance. And that Canberra try on the line was obviously a no try as the ball was above the ground like an egg in an egg-cup. lol!

As far as I'm concerned, it's money well spent being that everything the refs do from now on in a Panthers game will be far more scrutinised.
And if the sideline had been the tryline, the tackle would not have been completed and it would have been a try, despite Annesly saying position on the field makes no difference.

If the NRL don't want coaches to speak their mind they shouldn't require them to attend interviews 10 minutes after full time. The should conduct these interviews on Monday. Otherwise you'll have 16 Wayne Bennetts.

I think the NRL have never wanted coaches to speak their minds but read from the script instead

GongPanther

Referee
And if the sideline had been the tryline, the tackle would not have been completed and it would have been a try, despite Annesly saying position on the field makes no difference.
And they try yo say it wasn't "managed".

Funny thing is in here is that ppl are so focused on hating on Cleary more than why he spoke out. And one has to be aware that their team is one game away from being "managed".

Remember those games which the Cows were involved in when the refs made some howlers? I remember JT being absolutely incensed about some onside rule which ruined their chance to be in the finals. And that was after having a history of calls going against them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And they try yo say it wasn't "managed".

Funny thing is in here is that ppl are so focused on hating on Cleary more than why he spoke out. And one has to be aware that their team is one game away from being "managed".

Remember those games which the Cows were involved in when the refs made some howlers? I remember JT being absolutely incensed about some onside rule which ruined their chance to be in the finals. And that was after having a history of calls going against them.

No one is saying refs dont make mistakes, what people are saying is its fair enough to heavily fine a coach who calls a refs integrity in his decision making into question. He could have said he didnt agree with the calls, no fine. Saying refs deliberately made wrong calls to get the other club back in the game is why he got fined.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
He was clearly referring to the 4-12 second half score, but I wouldn’t expect a simpleton Panthers fan to understand.

On the fine, rightly so. Ivan acted like a prize wanker, which ironically means he fits right in at Penrith, and absolutely should have been fined.

He’s such a pathetic excuse for a human, honestly. The shit he pulled at the Tigers, the way he conducts himself. Embarrassing.

Now tell us all how you really feel huh

nick87

Coach

Regarding the player into touch, the ruling was the tackle was completed, and the penrith player flopped. That is the correct call as far as i understand the rules.
It's a standard flop except the goal of this flop was to ensure the Raiders player was put into touch. The flop contributed to that outcome. The funny part is it was totally unnecessary, the tackle was going to take us out anyways. Lesson learnt for the panthers.

Re the CNK try... the referee got the best look in the house and he said try. Based on the footage i saw, if i had to guess, id have said no try, but that referee was adamant he saw a try and nothing on replays clearly showed he was wrong, i just watched it again and it's impossible to say if he grounded it or not based on the replay, so all that is left is to let the call stand... i've got no idea if the referee was right or not in sending it up as a try, and neither do you.

As i said, Ivan was projecting. The Raiders weren't managed back in the game and Ivan was right to fined, they just simply out effort'd the the panthers in the 2nd half... and the only reason they did was because the Panthers had done the job required in the first half and clocked off early. Simple as that.

At worst that is 2 50/50 decisions that went against the panthers over the course for 40 minutes of play, that had virtually no impact on the game. And your coach wants to suggest refs are cheating over that? That's pretty f**king pathetic and i would know about pathetic sooking from a coach after a game give my HC.

GongPanther

Referee
Regarding the player into touch, the ruling was the tackle was completed, and the penrith player flopped. That is the correct call as far as i understand the rules.
It's a standard flop except the goal of this flop was to ensure the Raiders player was put into touch. The flop contributed to that outcome. The funny part is it was totally unnecessary, the tackle was going to take us out anyways. Lesson learnt for the panthers.

Re the CNK try... the referee got the best look in the house and he said try. Based on the footage i saw, if i had to guess, id have said no try, but that referee was adamant he saw a try and nothing on replays clearly showed he was wrong, i just watched it again and it's impossible to say if he grounded it or not based on the replay, so all that is left is to let the call stand... i've got no idea if the referee was right or not in sending it up as a try, and neither do you.

As i said, Ivan was projecting. The Raiders weren't managed back in the game and Ivan was right to fined, they just simply out effort'd the the panthers in the 2nd half... and the only reason they did was because the Panthers had done the job required in the first half and clocked off early. Simple as that.

At worst that is 2 50/50 decisions that went against the panthers over the course for 40 minutes of play, that had virtually no impact on the game. And your coach wants to suggest refs are cheating over that? That's pretty f**king pathetic and i would know about pathetic sooking from a coach after a game give my HC.
Yea...50/50 calls....buggers. Thanks for your input nick.

nick87

Coach
Yea...50/50 calls....buggers. Thanks for your input nick.

Glad to provide it for you. Let Ivan know i'm available to help him with his reaching on this one too if he'd like. Had his post game comments spoken more about a disappointing final 40 and the need to go on with it when they're clearly out playing the opposition rather than put the cue in the rack it might be able to save himself 20k and not made himself look like a real Ricky Stuart

GongPanther

Referee
Glad to provide it for you. Let Ivan know i'm available to help him with his reaching on this one too if he'd like. Had his post game comments spoken more about a disappointing final 40 and the need to go on with it when they're clearly out playing the opposition rather than put the cue in the rack it might be able to save himself 20k and not made himself look like a real Ricky Stuart
No doubt he had to cop the fine, in fact for me when I saw the presser it was a WTF moment.

But I can see why he did it, but a bit of a surprise given the margin we won by.

nick87

Coach
No doubt he had to cop the fine, in fact for me when I saw the presser it was a WTF moment.

But I can see why he did it, but a bit of a surprise given the margin we won by.

I think honestly he felt like his team was far superior and he was surprised they didnt go on with it. In the heat of the moment he decides to take 1-2 50/50 calls and make it about the officials

I think once he has watched the replay he'll see if the Panthers came out and played with the same level of intensity and execution in the 2nd half as they did the first, they'd have put 50 on us.

But they didnt. They just took the foot off the gas and the Raiders dont look like genuine contenders this year but they're also not the type of team that rolls over when they're down. There was really nothing more to the 2nd half than that. One team was scrapping as best they could, the other had done the job and were in 2nd gear

The_Frog

First Grade
Saying refs deliberately made wrong calls to get the other club back in the game is why he got fined.
Yep it is. Hope it stops now.

In the heat of the moment he decides to take 1-2 50/50 calls

There were more than 1-2 of them and this has happened before (certainly not just to us) but I'm sure if he were giving the press conference a day later he wouldn't have mentioned it. Having it 10 minutes after full time invites this sort of thing.

GongPanther

Referee
I think honestly he felt like his team was far superior and he was surprised they didnt go on with it. In the heat of the moment he decides to take 1-2 50/50 calls and make it about the officials

I think once he has watched the replay he'll see if the Panthers came out and played with the same level of intensity and execution in the 2nd half as they did the first, they'd have put 50 on us.

But they didnt. They just took the foot off the gas and the Raiders dont look like genuine contenders this year but they're also not the type of team that rolls over when they're down. There was really nothing more to the 2nd half than that. One team was scrapping as best they could, the other had done the job and were in 2nd gear
Previous week V Manly we were showing signs of moments of fatigue, and it showed in Saturday's game. This is the reason why he has to rest players.

franklin2323

Immortal
He just had to say it differently. Something like teams that are getting pumped seem to get most of the 50-50 calls, unless they are playing the Storm

Yep. Happens all the time there were rumours of refs keeping the count and making it even when it was a blow out

Latest posts