What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary hit with $20k breach notice

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Was the issue the CNK try? It looked to me like he got it on the line? And the sideline thing with Rapana looked clearly like a 2nd man flopping in when the ball carrier was already on the ground with a defender already on him. If the 2nd man doesn't flop, he doesnt go over the sideline.

Pretty odd to get all riled up over 2, at worst, 50/50 calls?

franklin2323

Immortal
Was the issue the CNK try? It looked to me like he got it on the line? And the sideline thing with Rapana looked clearly like a 2nd man flopping in when the ball carrier was already on the ground with a defender already on him. If the 2nd man doesn't flop, he doesnt go over the sideline.

Rapana passes it infield if not taken by the 2nd guy in.
That was followed up by Mansour getting hit in the head while tackled

so wasn't so much the try as a few things that led to it

soc123_au

Staff member
Regarding the player into touch, the ruling was the tackle was completed, and the penrith player flopped. That is the correct call as far as i understand the rules.
It's a standard flop except the goal of this flop was to ensure the Raiders player was put into touch. The flop contributed to that outcome. The funny part is it was totally unnecessary, the tackle was going to take us out anyways. Lesson learnt for the panthers.

Re the CNK try... the referee got the best look in the house and he said try. Based on the footage i saw, if i had to guess, id have said no try, but that referee was adamant he saw a try and nothing on replays clearly showed he was wrong, i just watched it again and it's impossible to say if he grounded it or not based on the replay, so all that is left is to let the call stand... i've got no idea if the referee was right or not in sending it up as a try, and neither do you.

As i said, Ivan was projecting. The Raiders weren't managed back in the game and Ivan was right to fined, they just simply out effort'd the the panthers in the 2nd half... and the only reason they did was because the Panthers had done the job required in the first half and clocked off early. Simple as that.

At worst that is 2 50/50 decisions that went against the panthers over the course for 40 minutes of play, that had virtually no impact on the game. And your coach wants to suggest refs are cheating over that? That's pretty f**king pathetic and i would know about pathetic sooking from a coach after a game give my HC.
I thought the Rapana one into touch was harsh, He was trying to get rid of the ball before going over the sideline, so fair play for the 2nd man coming in imo. Martin coming in also had no bearing on him going into touch.
CKN's first try I think wasn't grounded until after the whistle. No issue with the bunker giving it though with it being sent up a try. No clear evidence to overturn.
There was another strip one that was dodgy.
In saying that clocking off in the 2nd half cost us much more than any referee's decisions. The Raiders came to play & thats what they did for 80 minutes.
I've seen worse examples of "game management" this year. We all know it happens, coaches just have to shut up about it.

soc123_au

Staff member

His 2nd one got to the line, May got under it a fraction of a second too late. The first one the ball would have to be a few inches longer to have hit the grass imo. You see the ball drop an inch or so after the whistle. The bunker called it correctly based on the evidence though. Regardless of the ref's CNK shouldnt have been allowed that close to the line by the defence. Aekins was way too slow to come in to make sure he was held up easily & he had a few others hanging off him to get to the line. It was a great effort from a guy his size in that situation.

The_Frog

First Grade
You see the ball drop an inch or so after the whistle.
That is when Aekins lets go of his ball-carrying arm.
The giveaway in the first try was CNK didn't celebrate when he got up. He knew he didn't get it down. The second one I think he just made it.

Players sometimes celebrate when they know they didn't score (gidday Maika) but NEVER the other way around.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
Glad he contested the fine, will be great entertainment even if its futile.

A blow up from a Panthers board member nobody even knows would be appreciated as well.

Canard

Immortal
I never really noticed because the teams he has coached previously were so inconsequential, but has Cleary always been this much of a sook?

The_Frog

First Grade
And the sideline thing with Rapana looked clearly like a 2nd man flopping in when the ball carrier was already on the ground with a defender already on him.
Still sliding and free to pass, which he tried to do. Tackle is completed when momentum stops. They have frozen it and claimed the tackle is complete. If you slide over the tryline in those circumstances it is a try even though Annesley said position on the field makes no difference.

Or conversely, if Cleary had fallen off him while he was still sliding, he could get up and run again. This is another case of making up the rules as you go.

gerg

Juniors
Still sliding and free to pass, which he tried to do. Tackle is completed when momentum stops. They have frozen it and claimed the tackle is complete. If you slide over the tryline in those circumstances it is a try even though Annesley said position on the field makes no difference.

Or conversely, if Cleary had fallen off him while he was still sliding, he could get up and run again. This is another case of making up the rules as you go.

But you can't actually pass off the ground, even if you are moving - unless you're not held, which he was.

I thought that Sutton actually explained this on the field. Nathan was complaining about Rapanas flop which could have been a penalty or 6again. I remember when the 6again call came in it was up to the referees discretion whether a penalty would be awarded or a 6again and that is precisely what happened.

FMD are Panthers the new Roosters? Piss and moan after they win a game.

skeepe

Immortal
That is when Aekins lets go of his ball-carrying arm.
The giveaway in the first try was CNK didn't celebrate when he got up. He knew he didn't get it down. The second one I think he just made it.

Players sometimes celebrate when they know they didn't score (gidday Maika) but NEVER the other way around.

Sutton said “I have the ball on the ground’ or words to that effect, so he believes he definitely saw a grounding. Given he was a lot closer than you, I know who I’m going to believe.

Oh and Cleary should just cop it on the ample chin and move on. Challenging that is ridiculous, but true to form for the most pathetic man in the game.

soc123_au

Staff member
Sutton said “I have the ball on the ground’ or words to that effect, so he believes he definitely saw a grounding. Given he was a lot closer than you, I know who I’m going to believe.

Oh and Cleary should just cop it on the ample chin and move on. Challenging that is ridiculous, but true to form for the most pathetic man in the game.
If he saw a grounding then point to the spot & blow the whistle. He was covering his arse, he wanted to award it, but wasnt sure. Like I said earlier, the fact it even got that far is on the defence, not the ref's, but watch the footage, we know how big a ball is.

You are 100% correct about Ivan taking his medicine, pay the fine & move on. You cant accuse the ref's of cheating in his position. It's a luxury reserved for fans.

The_Frog

First Grade
I believe the bloke closest of all, who got up looking like he'd lost his shirt at the races.

Oh and Cleary should just cop it on the ample chin and move on.
Wrong Cleary.

franklin2323

Immortal
But you can't actually pass off the ground, even if you are moving - unless you're not held, which he was.

I thought that Sutton actually explained this on the field. Nathan was complaining about Rapanas flop which could have been a penalty or 6again. I remember when the 6again call came in it was up to the referees discretion whether a penalty would be awarded or a 6again and that is precisely what happened.

FMD are Panthers the new Roosters? Piss and moan after they win a game.

Canberra challenged whether he passed it before he went out not whether the tackle was completed. If they felt it was tackle over why not challenge that?

It is the common sense part the refs lack more so then having no idea

It was only done by Ivan to take the focus off running 1st. It is a smart ploy to stay under the radar