What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary named Coach of the Year.

darkbloom

Juniors
]Statistics for 4 full seasons - Eliot v Cleary.

Eliot Cleary
Games 96 96
Wins 44 43
Win % 44.8% 44.8%
Losses 50 53
Loss % 51.1% 55.2%
Draws 2 0
Points for 2203 1809
Tries for 377 318
Points agst 2296 2010
Tries agst 397 347
Pts Diff -93 -201
Avg Crowd 12427 11050

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
LOL hardly a comparison. Elliot had a stud team from the outset..totally mismanaged it and stifled junior development.

Clearly had a team full of journeyman for 3 years making do with Clint Newton and Cameron Ciraldo.

roofromoz

First Grade
LOL hardly a comparison. Elliot had a stud team from the outset..totally mismanaged it and stifled junior development.

Clearly had a team full of journeyman for 3 years making do with Clint Newton and Cameron Ciraldo.

This. Apples and oranges.

darkbloom

Juniors
The funny thing about assertions that you can't make comparisons is that I reckon if the figures were more favourable, the comparisons are made.

But they are made on the basis of perceptions not results.

That's OK.

I too think Cleary is way in front of Eliot as a coach.

Most people will do whatever they can to justify their perceptions even when there is strong evidence challenging them. I definitely have my justification of still believing Cleary trumps Eliot despite the stats.

The figure that the coaches have little control over is interesting.

The attendance drop is pretty big - does this indicate anything about the way the club is managing all the non-player stuff?

Personally I think it has been poorly administered in the period covering both coaches but do attendances suggest it is getting worse.

]Statistics for 4 full seasons - Eliot v Cleary.

Eliot Cleary
Games 96 96
Wins 44 43
Win % 44.8% 44.8%
Losses 50 53
Loss % 51.1% 55.2%
Draws 2 0
Points for 2203 1809
Tries for 377 318
Points agst 2296 2010
Tries agst 397 347
Pts Diff -93 -201
Avg Crowd 12427 11050

A few points in Cleary's favour.
Spoon for Elliott in 07, Non to date for Cleary and under the great myth we never won a finals game. Under Cleary we are 1 win 1 loss in the finals.

Last edited:

darkbloom

Juniors
A few points in Cleary's favour.
Spoon for Elliott in 07, Non to date for Cleary and under the great myth we never won a finals game. Under Cleary we are 1 win 1 loss in the finals.

Yep.

Though, to me, the spoon stat I think is not that riveting.

There is a very significant stat from this year that speaks volumes for Cleary.

Very few teams that miss out on the finals concede 80 or less tries over the season - we conceded 80 despite using a huge number of players. To me this is an important stat and one that is a solid base for optimism.

maple_69

Bench
Yeah our defence was in the same echelon as the 5-8 teams. Given how horribly screwed around our edges were all year its a fantastic effort. I think more than anything our scramble defence has stood out to me over the past 18 months as being very good. Great sign with the 20s having by far the best defence in the comp that some of the guys coming through over the coming years won't be the turnstiles you normally have to wear for the first few years.

mxlegend99

Referee
Cleary won us a finals match against the first placed Roosters with the likes of Peter Wallace, Tyrone Peachey, Bryce Cartwright and Elijah Taylor missing. There were others that I don't recall. But that's an epic achievement with so many of our attacking players missing and our best defender.

Elliott loses Frank Pritchard for a finals match and brings Adrian Purtell into the forwards to replace him. We had half a dozen or more better options but he chose his pet player for a must win game.

ashton

Juniors
How is that going?

How goes the rebuilding?

Jennings, Lewie and Flash hope the cap space was good, as they play finals....type who get you there.

How has that panned out?

Yay Ivan, seems the kiwis like him.

How is the 50 year plan going?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Sure relevant.

I like the pennies...

But Ivan ain't your man anymore than Flanno is ours.

See on the also rans next year too.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
No worries guys just an opinion...

When Ivan goes you may get another..who knows who.

His boy looks good...really...may be the catalyst for him to step down as coach, to do the overall running of all grades....his true skill, wish we could get him for that, at which I am glad his at the pennies, just a great nursery of players...can't keep all..Ivans job...somebody else coach the various grades.

Hey if you win next I won't be upset, I like Penrith.

Beat Manly.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have nothing against the Sharks but I truly believe our roster is much stronger on paper and has greater room for improvement. If we can keep our best 17 fit and healthy for the greater part of 2016 we will finish above the sharks on the ladder.

Latest posts