What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan cleary (The alex ferguson of the NRL )

penrithfrank

Juniors
When you take stock of what he's achieved with this side admittedly it was OVEN READY ... The players we have lost etc it's Terrific management to still be the Team to beat !

maple_69

Bench
Penrith was in no way oven ready when Ivan started his work with Gus in 2012. We were 12th in 2011 and had been there for a while outside of a freak year in 2010.

Panther Mike

Juniors
I’m a Liverpool fan. I would rather compare him to Klopp or even Guardiola than Ferguson. Although a team succeeding mostly on home grown players isn’t something that really happens in the EPL anymore.

Panther Mike

Juniors
Haha. Only been to Anfield and Liverpool once in my life to be honest. Chose them even at a time when they were quite irrelevant circa 1999.
Man U were the bandwagon team and winning everything under SAF but I’ve never been one to hop on bandwagons.

I'm a Liverpool fan, but for Cleary to be compared to Ferguson, he'd have to be coaching at Penrith for many, many more years at the club than he currently has. Ferguson was Manager at Man Utd from 1986 to 2013. Cleary, by comparison has been the head coach at Penrith (including his first stint and this season) for 9 years to date (i.e. 2012 to 2015 and 2019 to 2024).

penrithfrank

Juniors
I live in salford now 2 miles from old Trafford .. what I mean about cleary is to achieve want he's achieved at penrith is Massive and maybe still more to Come .. maybe it was a bit flippant of me to compare to Sir alex .. but Ivan a damp good coach