What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary's Warriors formula needs time article

Lossy

Juniors
Enjoyed the Storm game. Panthers was a near-unbearable cripplefight.

But a win is a win. I look forward to the Titans match.

If we're going to go the 'give Cleary time' route, then let us hope he doesn't replicate Elliot at the Panthers. Given plenty of time and support, moulded the club into his shape, and then damn near f**ked it.

The Warriors are in Cleary's shape now. Show us what you got, Ivan.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
My main concern still lies in how we construct plays in our opposition 20m zone.

Though I agree, this has been a constant weakness throughout the entire history of our club, IMO, not just the Cleary era. Even in 2002, once in the opp 20 we generally struggled to construct plays that resulted in tries. Stacey tended to have rely on cross-field kicking in the opp 20, given that he wasn't a great organizer.

I get the frustration people have with how the team has often played under Cleary, but IMO it's too black & white to be pinning absolutely everything on him. I also find some of the anti-Cleary sentiment to just be flat out negative as opposed to critical. Some people seem to be death-riding the season. Whats the point in that? Sport is unpredictable, you just never know.

devoid

Juniors
Still no word from the pro camp? Long nite at the office?

Very, but a good one!

Primarily, I am pro Cleary because of his obvious emphasis on the basics. People often throw the term 'razzle dazzle' around as though it were a time of nothing but wins, large crowds, and abundant wealth for the club; this is just so wrong. 02 and 03 were so special, but so rare. Our other 'razzle dazzle' years saw us consistently miss the finals. For every 50 point victory, there were three 50 point defeats, and the Warriors often played to less than 8k whilst being the butt of every joke and making the finals only once.

When looking at where the GF winner placed at regular season's end, one thing is clear - you need to be top 6. Since Cleary began we have been thereabouts come season's end (4,5,8,9 (-4 points salary cap infringement thanks Mick Watson), bar one horrible, tragic year (14) which in my opinion, the coach and players can be excused for. In the toughest comp going we are consistently competitive, i.e. we are consistently tough. I like that about our team. I like how calm he is, and how he stresses things like defense, ball control, set completion, kick/chase, and the fact that if we do it often enough, we have a great chance to win. On top of that, he seems capable of recognising where we lack, and goes after the player to fill the hole. He is still a young coach, and IMO has transformed us from an erratic team to one intent on being in the frame. I think the game now is tougher than it was when he started in 06 - for him to keep competitive he has to improve - I think he is improving.

worier

Juniors
LOL, f**k off. leave me out of your argument

I agree with Skinner and Rich, 100%

you guys have very short memories. A couple of wins and all is sweet.

Its not.

Heh, looks like I'm with you lot I'm still not convinced with this current team all our wins have been ugly hardly convincing we really should've thrashed the panthers. We look like the team from last leason, defend well but suck on attack nothings changed really, pretty much using the same game plan too.

nibbs

Bench
We finished 5th last season. That's solid. I can't see the problem here tbph.

nibbs

Bench
When the Warriors get Manu and Fish back, it'll add a lot to our attack. We're lacking a real go to finisher at the moment, because they're both injured.

I think some users on this forum fail to look at the bigger picture. They'd probably demand Matt Elliot replace Cleary, or that we sign Junior Sau to play on the wing or at fullback. Skinner, Ozbash, by chance is one of you Lavina Good masquerading as a male on this forum? It's just a hunch I've come to form recently.

ozbash

Referee
I remember the season being monumentally disrupted by a horrific run of injuries to key personel

suss out the team list v Titans in the semis then, apart from Pricey, we were at full strength. Look, I'll even save you the hassle of looking..

Team: Lance Hohaia; Kevin Locke, Brent Tate, Joel Moon, Manu Vatuvei; James Maloney, Brett Seymour; Sam Rapira, Aaron Heremaia, Russell Packer; Simon Mannering (c), Lewis Brown; Micheal Luck. Interchange: Ben Matulino, Ukuma Ta'ai, Jacob Lillyman, Sione Lousi

great team on paper but, all show-no go.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
yeah, but the refereeing in that game was disgraceful. it genuinely cost us the game, rather than being a mild annoyance.

Iafeta

Referee
That is a rather narrow-sighted view ozbash. The fact is the squad Ivan Cleary was left with for the majority of the year shouldn't have stormed into the semis. They did. Getting fifth was a hell of an achievement. Who knows what would have happened if Chris Heinington doesn't have the IQ of a peanut. All that chump had to do was dive on the ball. I'm not from the school of relying on others to do the job for you, but it was a 1 in a 1000 type stuff up that changes the whole finals set up (somehow not only do the Chooks survive, they get to the final).

I was personally very happy with 2010. A no-name five eighth becomes a good NRL five-eighth, Matulino becomes a consistent player, fringe players like Aaron Heremaia, Sione Lousi and Joel Moon at several points in the season stand up to be counted, even blokes like Jeremy Latimore pull off some good games from nowhere to hold the club together. It was a good season for the development of our club.

ozbash

Referee
Or, as it's otherwise known, 'Ozbash's normal view'

Ha, you might well be right. I tend to concentrate on specifics, rather than try to take in all of the picture/frame/wall its hanging off etc.

Iafeta may be right in his observation, but thats the way I saw 2010..

I was pretty dissapointed tbh. :cool:

Latest posts