What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary's Warriors formula needs time article

Meth

Staff member
Oh yeah, I like Maloney- it's just the 6. 7, 9 picture isn't complete without a decent 7 and/or 9. I am very excited for;

6- Maloney
7- Johnston
9- Friend

devoid

Juniors
At the risk of repeating myself.
We have access to the largest pool of RL talent anywhere - the "Big Dude factory" to quote a couple of Australian commentators.
I just don't think we are doing the best with the talent available.
The Storm came into the competition and won a Grand Final after two years. We have come close once in 15 years - and that wasn't with Cleary.

Fair enough, Rich. The 'big dude factory' quote was Fittler, right? I understand people wanting a title - I just think it is unreasonable to suggest that not winning it means the coach is terrible and should be sacked.

TurtleWarrior

Juniors
Oh yeah, I like Maloney- it's just the 6. 7, 9 picture isn't complete without a decent 7 and/or 9. I am very excited for;

6- Maloney
7- Johnston
9- Friend

Like. Hopefully Johnson is able to play his own exciting brand of footy too to give us a balanced skill set between our play makers.

Rich102

Staff member
Fair enough, Rich. The 'big dude factory' quote was Fittler, right? I understand people wanting a title - I just think it is unreasonable to suggest that not winning it means the coach is terrible and should be sacked.

No, I am not suggesting the coach should be sacked for not winning it. I am suggesting that he should be sacked for not improving each year..
The game plan is still non-existent. It is all about defend and then attack from broken play. Watch their next attacking play inside the opposition 20. Look like a well drilled team?
I have said before this team does well despite Cleary, not because of him. They are all, except for Locke, Fish & Taylor, seasoned professionals. They should be performing at this level, if not better.

The bottom line is TV figures are dropping and the crowd is still below break-even. The club will be forced to act soon.

Matua

Bench
Agreed.

I thought the saying was always defense comes first / defense wins premierships and so on.

Our "razzle-dazzle" team of '02 got hammered in our grand final with a team built on flashy attack...
By a clinical, disciplined, defensive Roosters outfit with a couple of x-factor players.
Last years' premiers weren't exactly what I'd call an exciting attack-oriented team either.
:crazy: We've only made it to the final with razzle dazzle style footy.

I think Ivan has had long enough and we don't look any closer to making the finals.

Now is the rumour I've heard that Bluey is back in Auckland true? If so, I hope the Warriors have signed him up for next year.

devoid

Juniors
No, I am not suggesting the coach should be sacked for not winning it. I am suggesting that he should be sacked for not improving each year..
The game plan is still non-existent. It is all about defend and then attack from broken play. Watch their next attacking play inside the opposition 20. Look like a well drilled team?
I have said before this team does well despite Cleary, not because of him. They are all, except for Locke, Fish & Taylor, seasoned professionals. They should be performing at this level, if not better.

The bottom line is TV figures are dropping and the crowd is still below break-even. The club will be forced to act soon.

The game plan looks pretty evident to me, inclusive of defending strongly, win the ruck, complete sets, and build pressure.

You're asking me to watch plays in the 20m? I attend every home game (season member) and then re-watch every victory twice (in general). I think we look well drilled enough, and fluctuate with form of players, and with players missing through injury; all pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Incidentally, three of our wins this season were against sides who were in the eight when we played them (Sharks, Roosters, Storm). Two of our losses were against the present #1 side, and a present top 8 side. I think we're travelling okay for a bunch a bums with no game plan.

The club will be forced to act soon based on what? Got any facts to back up the general comments about tv figures and crowd attendances? We had our biggest ever crowd in round 1. We increased season members from last year by 100% approx. Walk-ups fluctuate with the both the weather and results. It doesn't look like people are dropping the Warriors in droves to me. Anyway... if we don't make the 8, I might think of it differently.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It's just a question Skinner. Did you seriously watch that game and say to yourself afterwards 'what a load of bs this team is - Cleary has to go.' A win built on defense is fine for me. I liked how we won 14 of 24 games last season too. Do you really see zero merit in what Cleary offers the club as head coach?

I don't think anyone sees zero merit, I just don't see a premiership. I sure as hell don't want a Brian Smith at my club. We've never looked like making a shake for the title under Cleary - you could argue 2008 when we ran into a Manly side not even God's own XIII could've beaten but even then we got hammered.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
As an outside, the defence impresses me, and has held some games close

But the attack is still extremely ordinary. It is being masked at the moment with the amount of tries coming from Ivans old favorite, bomb to Manu (Inu these days), once those dry up, and I am still seeing very, very little being offered through the hands in regards to getting over the line

ozbash

Referee
Skinner just takes his cues from Ozbash. After all, you can't have one ballbag rebelling against the other, can you?

LOL, f**k off. leave me out of your argument

I agree with Skinner and Rich, 100%

you guys have very short memories. A couple of wins and all is sweet.

Its not.

ozbash

Referee
To be fair, I'd say we also came close in 2003 and 2008 as well. "Haven't come close" seems a bit of a harsh criticism for those two particular seasons.

Mate, with thne talent at the coaches disposal (The best RL nursury in the world - W.Bennet) there would be something inherently wrong if we didnt 'come close' the odd time.

Warmess

Juniors
So we win a couple of games and now apparently all the anti-Cleary people have shut up?

I want Cleary gone. We aren't going to win a premiership under him, he's had his time to show he'd be able to do anything, but we get the same thing year in, year out. Our flat attack has been evident throughout his reign and he has had a nasty habit of coaching awesome talent into robots.

Stupid article. f**k off, Cleary.

Iafeta

Referee
"You shouldn't judge a coach until the end of a season". How about six?

I don't particularly advocate sacking him before 2012 but I wouldn't be re-appointing without a premiership - or very least good signs and a GF.

Daniel Anderson, anyone? Seriously...

As for the article, pretty paint-by-numbers stuff. And Nathan Friend, Maroons rake? Not in any Origin I've watched...

I agree with most of your post mate. I'm guessing by Daniel Anderson you're suggesting he didn't get the same respect. I guess under Mick Watson neither did a lot of players who left midseason. I can't say I agree with that approach, and I don't think we improved through 2004 by sacking Anderson midseason.

Iafeta

Referee
I don't know the answer on this one. Every year Ivan's sides start off slow. But that shouldn't mask things. I'd rather ask, why is that? I thought there were a few better signs against Penrith coincidentally. Hohaia finally started running through the middle rather than acting as a pseudo second-five-eighth. Heremaia also got out of dummy half well in the opposition 20m and went to a couple of wider plays... I even saw a decoy or two (I know, shock horror). And, Micheal Luck barely got involved in the opposition 20m zone (About time). I also like the fact they wanted to use Ukuma Ta'ai in more constructive plays.

The defence has been resilient. I can't criticise the coach for that. I acknowledge he's added some basic foundations to our structure that are vital. My main concern still lies in how we construct plays in our opposition 20m zone. Its been better the past two-three weeks, but we have significantly better attacking skills than we show under Cleary.

The only blokes however I'd replace him with are McClennan or Bennett. If neither are available Cleary retains my support. I'm not in it to go backwards.

Latest posts