What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack bird??

Dragsters

First Grade
ah yes...that sounds familiar...any idea who was in front of him at the time?

I believe back then he was playing back row and centre in 20's so it would have been friz jdb and joel tompson in the back row and of course the best centre pairing ever to wear the red v, aitken and lafai I geuss...

redVinme

Juniors
Courier mail reporting he's on our radar. Lol of course but if someone can post the link I can't beat paywall

ViceVersa

Juniors
Courier mail reporting he's on our radar. Lol of course but if someone can post the link I can't beat paywall

Brisbane utility Jack Bird hits Dragons’ radar as rivals circle

The Dragons and Bulldogs are eyeing off Jack Bird following revelations Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has given the former NSW Origin star permission to negotiate with rival clubs.

The Courier-Mail understands St George Illawarra have Bird on their radar with the Dragons having room under the salary cap following the departure of star playmaker Gareth Widdop to English club Warrington.

Canterbury and Wests Tigers are others monitoring the Bird situation.

There are fears Bird has played his final game for the Broncos with his management asking Seibold for the opportunity to explore the market amid speculation the injury-ravaged star is set to be squeezed out of Red Hill.

Bird’s contract will rise to $900,000 next season, putting huge pressure on Brisbane’s salary cap. The 24-year-old has suffered cruel luck since joining Brisbane, managing just 17 games in two seasons due to shoulder, sternum and knee operations.

Bird is currently the second highest-paid player at the club behind Anthony Milford but Seibold made it clear during his 36 player reviews on Wednesday that no player will be guaranteed a position next season.

On the comeback trail from a knee reconstruction, Bird is stuck behind emerging young guns Kotoni Staggs and Gehamat Shibasaki in the battle for centre starting berths.

That has opened the door for the Dragons, who signed Bird, a Wollongong product, to their under-20s in 2013 before he moved to nearby Cronulla to launch his NRL career two years later.

The Broncos are under pressure to sign an experienced playmaker and jettisoning Bird would free-up the salary cap funds to allow Brisbane to explore the player market.

The conundrum for the Broncos is that Bird is contracted until the end of next year with a further 12-month option in his favour, which he can feasibly activate to remain at Red Hill until 2021.

Bird’s manager Chris Orr confirmed he had requested permission to explore the market but said it was not a sign that the premiership-winning centre had failed to settle under Seibold’s regime.

“Jack is happy at the Broncos,” Orr said.

“No-one from the Broncos has attempted to push Jack out of the club.

“The reason I requested permission was due to industry rumours suggesting there was interest from other clubs in Jack at a time when the Broncos are reviewing their roster.

“We’ve been up front and transparent with the Broncos.

“I didn’t expect it to create the interest it has. Jack has had two injury-plagued years, but he has no issue with Anthony Seibold or the club and he would like to play a major role with the Broncos next season.”

The Broncos are happy for Bird to fight for a starting spot but would consider a subsidised deal if a rival club, such as the Dragons, issued a lifeline.

Broncos legend Darren Lockyer, a member of Brisbane’s recruitment-and-retention committee, said clubs face enormous salary-cap pressures if the type of big-money deal brokered for Bird does not pay dividends.

“The one thing about footy clubs, when you sign someone to the top echelon, it needs to work for you because if it doesn’t there is a ripple effect,” Lockyer said.

“If you don’t get those big decisions right it can impact on your salary cap in a major way.

“The 2020 season is a big year for Jack. It is not his fault, he’s had some injuries and he hasn’t been able to stay on the footy field which is a shame.

“He was playing decent footy this year before his knee injury so maybe he can fight his way back if he stays around.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/2e93f48365d6144eadb5417b8cd8886c

Frank Facer

First Grade
Bird would certainly be an upgrade on what we currently have, but with his injuries and I think he would be coming at a pretty high price, I don't know if he is worth the risk. I hear Penrith are keen to sign him to play 5/8. I think he wants to play 5/8 and a good 5/8 is generally worth more than a good centre. If we did sign him for the right price, I would probably see it as positive. Someone on this site also said that he looked very overweight recently.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Bird's contract with Brissy will be worth 900K and then he also has another year in his favor that he can take up, that would be worth at least another 900K. If I was Bird, I think I would be staying in Brissy for the next 2 years.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Great hypothetical thread but waste of time. Whether he would be good or not is pointless really because he won’t be coming. Three teams interested but we are not one of them. We don’t appear to be interested in anyone and no one appears interested in us.

possm

Coach
Man you crazy, Lafai and Aitken best centres in the competition it’s the wingers outside them that are no good. :joy::joy:
I can see your point. Those wingers just don't seem to be able to catch those non-existent or wayward forward passes. To make matters worse they can't fill the gap in defence when their centre charges up and in only to miss their target in defence.

possm

Coach
Brisbane utility Jack Bird hits Dragons’ radar as rivals circle

The Dragons and Bulldogs are eyeing off Jack Bird following revelations Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has given the former NSW Origin star permission to negotiate with rival clubs.

The Courier-Mail understands St George Illawarra have Bird on their radar with the Dragons having room under the salary cap following the departure of star playmaker Gareth Widdop to English club Warrington.

Canterbury and Wests Tigers are others monitoring the Bird situation.

There are fears Bird has played his final game for the Broncos with his management asking Seibold for the opportunity to explore the market amid speculation the injury-ravaged star is set to be squeezed out of Red Hill.

Bird’s contract will rise to $900,000 next season, putting huge pressure on Brisbane’s salary cap. The 24-year-old has suffered cruel luck since joining Brisbane, managing just 17 games in two seasons due to shoulder, sternum and knee operations.

Bird is currently the second highest-paid player at the club behind Anthony Milford but Seibold made it clear during his 36 player reviews on Wednesday that no player will be guaranteed a position next season.

On the comeback trail from a knee reconstruction, Bird is stuck behind emerging young guns Kotoni Staggs and Gehamat Shibasaki in the battle for centre starting berths.

That has opened the door for the Dragons, who signed Bird, a Wollongong product, to their under-20s in 2013 before he moved to nearby Cronulla to launch his NRL career two years later.

The Broncos are under pressure to sign an experienced playmaker and jettisoning Bird would free-up the salary cap funds to allow Brisbane to explore the player market.

The conundrum for the Broncos is that Bird is contracted until the end of next year with a further 12-month option in his favour, which he can feasibly activate to remain at Red Hill until 2021.

Bird’s manager Chris Orr confirmed he had requested permission to explore the market but said it was not a sign that the premiership-winning centre had failed to settle under Seibold’s regime.

“Jack is happy at the Broncos,” Orr said.

“No-one from the Broncos has attempted to push Jack out of the club.

“The reason I requested permission was due to industry rumours suggesting there was interest from other clubs in Jack at a time when the Broncos are reviewing their roster.

“We’ve been up front and transparent with the Broncos.

“I didn’t expect it to create the interest it has. Jack has had two injury-plagued years, but he has no issue with Anthony Seibold or the club and he would like to play a major role with the Broncos next season.”

The Broncos are happy for Bird to fight for a starting spot but would consider a subsidised deal if a rival club, such as the Dragons, issued a lifeline.

Broncos legend Darren Lockyer, a member of Brisbane’s recruitment-and-retention committee, said clubs face enormous salary-cap pressures if the type of big-money deal brokered for Bird does not pay dividends.

“The one thing about footy clubs, when you sign someone to the top echelon, it needs to work for you because if it doesn’t there is a ripple effect,” Lockyer said.

“If you don’t get those big decisions right it can impact on your salary cap in a major way.

“The 2020 season is a big year for Jack. It is not his fault, he’s had some injuries and he hasn’t been able to stay on the footy field which is a shame.

“He was playing decent footy this year before his knee injury so maybe he can fight his way back if he stays around.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/2e93f48365d6144eadb5417b8cd8886c
I doubt any club would pay 900k for Bird. So it's a no form me unless his asking price drops significantly. Bird is the player the Broncos need in the halves. However, I would consider a Hunt / Bird swap with Bird's salary maxing out at 600k. We really need to recruit a top level fullback and hopefully a left centre.

My worry is that Hunt will never consistently perform for Mary as Mary hasn't a clue on our to coach an NRL team and how to devise a game plane for each game.

rasaint

Juniors
Jack Bird turned Cronulla around at 5/8 in 2016. They were in the pack and then when he hit 1st grade everyone lifted including Matt Prior ( his best season). Fit and healthy ( big if) Jack Bird is a game changing player.

I thought; is there going to be some sort of swap with Ben Hunt returning to Brisbane? If so, then we need to be big winners out of the deal.if the swap is a net $500K - $600k in our cap favour. Say Brisbane agree to take Ben Hunt at our reported $1.2 for the next 3 years to finish contract and we take Bird for $600 until the end of his deal.

You might say ‘it won’t happen’. I think Ben is a top class player and really wants to be back in Qld where family ties are. Ben may also take a pay cut say $100 -150k to return in that sort of situation. I don’t think Ben hates the Dragons or Mary etc but is caught with needing to stay for that Extra big pay packet and now finds himself a bit homesick.

Think; Broncos get the top class half they need and we potentially have a risky but exciting halves team of Norman and Bird and another $ 500k cap space to buy a top centre. Also, is Nene a possible return? Apparently burned a few bridges up north. Truly, Nene was very good for us in our charge in 2018.

I believe only rotten injuries at the death to Gareth, Tariq and Frzz prevented us being in the 2018 Grand Final.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hunt and Bird swap, really? Who invents this stuff?
The Broncos have basicalky gone all in with young Turpin as their future half. That means they need either a 5/8 which they already have in Milford, or a fullback, whuch they have in Boyd. The issue is Boyd has lost form and is not a 5/8.
So, really they need to replace Boyd at fullback.

Tge other point here is 'swapping' a player who has played 17 games out of 48, has a recent history of injuries, including several surgeries, appears overweight and disinterested in playing. Add in of course the reported, heated exchange between his father and the Dragons.
Penrith need a 5/8 to replace Maloney, that where he will end up if he leaves the Broncos.

BBTB

Juniors
Great hypothetical thread but waste of time. Whether he would be good or not is pointless really because he won’t be coming. Three teams interested but we are not one of them. We don’t appear to be interested in anyone and no one appears interested in us.
Things have changed.

Latest posts