What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

Dragon David

First Grade
Is this the first time he has renewed at a joint?
No RedVee_8. He first signed with the Sharks for the 2014 and 2015 seasons. He renewed for a year in 2016 at the Sharks and after winning the 2016 Grand Final with them, during which he broke his arm, he signed a deal with the Broncos of 4 years from 2018 to 2021at $1M per year. His time at the Broncos was very chequered with injuries the worse one being a torn ACL ruling him out for the whole of 2020 and as we all know the Broncos let him go with one more year remaining on his contract with them and he came to us and signed a 2 year deal from 2021-2022 and now renewed with us for 2023-2024.

Yippee.. should we all be jumping for joy now that Bird has committed for next two years? For the money we are forking out for this bloke we could back a handful more local youngsters to step up to the top grade. Starting with Mulheisen and Coric...

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Yippee.. should we all be jumping for joy now that Bird has committed for next two years? For the money we are forking out for this bloke we could back a handful more local youngsters to step up to the top grade. Starting with Mulheisen and Coric...
In answer to your question.

Bird is an integral part of the team Dynamics and is the reason why we will always pushing to re-sign him.

As far as signing juniors then it's best to look who is off contract and who will we be looking to re-sign or let go. There are 9 possibilities at the moment. So, out of this lot who would you re-sign?

Moga
Burns
Alvaro (already gone)
Burgess
Jetski
Ford
Maguire
Faama
Sims (already signed with the Storm)

There are also 3 players in the DS, namely:
O'Ofou
Rueben
J. Hunt

With Sims and Alvaro already gone or leaving, there is definite room for the likes of Coric to be upgraded to the top 30. Connor may need to gain more experience but there's opportunity to be upgraded to the DS as a first step.

Personally, I think Bird wull end up at Lock with JDB moved to be a middle forward. Hence, I would look to re-sign Burns and Maguire. Maguire has use as a firwa4d utility covering many roles. Burns is an out and out edge forward.

We still need to fill a squad of 30 this year and next, but a lot of water to flow under the bridge before we start hypothesizing who should be here next year. Bird was a good start though.

Dragon David

First Grade

Bird is an integral part of the team Dynamics and is the reason why we will always pushing to re-sign him.

As far as signing juniors then it's best to look who is off contract and who will we be looking to re-sign or let go. There are 9 possibilities at the moment. So, out of this lot who would you re-sign?

Moga
Burns
Alvaro (already gone)
Burgess
Jetski
Ford
Maguire
Faama

O'Ofou
Rueben
J. Hunt

With Sims and Alvaro already gone or leaving, there is definite room for the likes of Coric to be upgraded to the top 30. Connor may need to gain more experience but there's opportunity to be upgraded to the DS as a first step.

Personally, I think Bird wull end up at Lock with JDB moved to be a middle forward. Hence, I would look to re-sign Burns and Maguire. Maguire has use as a firwa4d utility covering many roles. Burns is an out and out edge forward.

We still need to fill a squad of 30 this year and next, but a lot of water to flow under the bridge before we start hypothesizing who should be here next year. Bird was a good start though.
Out of the 9 guys you have listed Dragonslayer I'd hang on to Burns and Maguire. Burgess is signed to the end of 2023 so unless there is anything in his contract such as if his hips gives him problems so as to not being able to play and therefore the contract becomes null and void, then he stays. The others I would let go.

Hook couldn't elaborate on what players will be going and who the club would go after in his NRL 360 interview but he did mention that they would be keeping an eye on a few of the younger guys coming through the system and then look outside to balance everything for next year and so on.

Bird fits in with Hooks plans for this year and next - which indicates that Hook won't be leaving us too soon.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Given our second row stocks, an important signing.

As Sims not being re signed, that leaves Jetski, Ford, Su'a, Burns, McGuire and Fui.

Also, the club allowed him to go on the market. It seems fair to both parties.

blacksafake

First Grade

Moga
Burns
Alvaro (already gone)
Burgess
Jetski
Ford
Maguire
Faama

O'Ofou
Rueben
J. Hunt

Definitely agree Re Burns & Moose.

BLM01

First Grade

Moga
Burns
Alvaro (already gone)
Burgess
Jetski
Ford
Maguire
Faama

O'Ofou
Rueben
J. Hunt

You forgot Kerr?.I think his contract is up at years end?

blacksafake

First Grade
Burns fair enough but I’m not sure he’ll want to stay given the limited opportunity to play regular first grade.

Moose is 33 next March so I suspect he’ll end up with payday in the Super League.
In fairness Billy has missed a bit through injury more so than not getting a go.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
I’m glad he finally signed. He is a player with plenty of aggression, leads by example and has been one of our better players. If Hook’s prediction comes true that the teams good performances will become more consistent, I think Bird will be one of the driving forces behind this.

BBTB

Juniors
I’m glad he finally signed. He is a player with plenty of aggression, leads by example and has been one of our better players. If Hook’s prediction comes true that the teams good performances will become more consistent, I think Bird will be one of the driving forces behind this.
Well the deal is done, so I hope your right. I thought his defence needed a bit of work. More shoulders less arm grabs. Also more straightforward running and less crab style running, which jams our backline up.