What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

True_Believer

Juniors
As the saying goes Gareth, you can't keep them all. Bird had the best year in 2016 when he won a ring as a result of helping the Sharks win the grand final. He left them for "greener" pastures but had a lot of inconsistency with performance due to serious and long lasting injuries.

He put in for us quite alright last year but wasn't a world beater and many times made errors due to frustration. He will definitely be competing for a spot next year and if he wants to get a new contract or have another club sign him, he will need to impress much more than what he has so far shown and achieved.
Exactly, he has form with moving to other clubs to get a pay increase.

We took a punt on him and gave him a second chance to come home. If he wants to repay that faith by jumping ship at the first sign of a possible pay increase, then cya.

This is what disappoints me these days - I know it's a business and it makes sense for either side to make moves for the betterment of the team/themselves, but it's just annoying when players want to jump ship even after the club has shown faith in them. Same with the club, would be good on occasion to keep a player in the ranks where they've shown a commitment to the team. Even if it means a reduced contract.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
2 x ACL recons is an amazing effort to recover and play footy all season in 2021
1x more ACL recon and statistically that is it for Birdy

I saw a solid player but he isnt a gun in the comp

Commentators like his aggression but I must say there are many others with more impact and ability to turn a game

I think more than a 2 year contract would be very risky

I think more than $500k pa is way to too much of an opportunity cost vs other options for the edge backrow in defence and middle in attack like a few others in the comp

Birdy is a very solid centre but there are better options even at our club ie Lomax and maybe even Suli ?

possm

Coach
I'm sure the Dragons retention team has made Bird a fair offer given his performance in 2021 and his injury history. If Bird's aim is to get top dollar or overs, then as far as I'm concerned, he can play for another club.

He chose the Sharks over his junior club in 2016 when he could have made a positive contribution to our squad. Now again he is looking for a better deal (overs), I day if he gets such an offer then good luck, on your bike.

denis preston

First Grade
I'm sure the Dragons retention team has made Bird a fair offer given his performance in 2021 and his injury history. If Bird's aim is to get top dollar or overs, then as far as I'm concerned, he can play for another club.

He chose the Sharks over his junior club in 2016 when he could have made a positive contribution to our squad. Now again he is looking for a better deal (overs), I day if he gets such an offer then good luck, on your bike.
Surely his Bronco's contract was his "Alan Bond " and nobody would be foolish to go anywhere near that in future.His already got a lazy mill or 2 in the bank or should have . For me 400k ( based on our depth, future pathways players, and his body ) .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Imo theres a couple of things in play here. Being off contract of course means negotiation, thats normal, however, the fact his salary is currently subsidised by the Broncos, his history of injury and his move to the forwards, makes it difficult to assess a 'value'. Testing value is common practice for player managers.

I find it odd that we are 6 weeks or so past the official start of when clubs can begin to negotiate or even table offers, and Birds name has only just popped up.
Sometimes I think journos, who no doubt has agendas, see Parra for example, losing players especially edge forwards, then see who's off contract and bingo Bird's name gets thrown in. Of course not saying it isnt so, but seems convenient to me.

If Bird decides he wants a payday contract then so be it. We have plenty of stock now to cover. If he stays, he'll do his job, his new job, in at lock, a position I think he'd do very well in.

stgeorge1

Juniors
Imo theres a couple of things in play here. Being off contract of course means negotiation, thats normal, however, the fact his salary is currently subsidised by the Broncos, his history of injury and his move to the forwards, makes it difficult to assess a 'value'. Testing value is common practice for player managers.

I find it odd that we are 6 weeks or so past the official start of when clubs can begin to negotiate or even table offers, and Birds name has only just popped up.
Sometimes I think journos, who no doubt has agendas, see Parra for example, losing players especially edge forwards, then see who's off contract and bingo Bird's name gets thrown in. Of course not saying it isnt so, but seems convenient to me.

If Bird decides he wants a payday contract then so be it. We have plenty of stock now to cover. If he stays, he'll do his job, his new job, in at lock, a position I think he'd do very well in.
Media trying to full the sports pages in the of season