What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack De Belin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome post @Anon much appreciated.

No doubt the prosecution and the police will push for the third trial. That’s probably a given. Otherwise they might face internal and related criticism about their investigation and how they ran their case.

Unlike previous Directors, Babb can be seen in courts advocating often, so he’s very much in touch where the rubber hits the road. He will be able to read the transcripts, consider the exhibits and review the whole show(s) carefully.

They’ve had a long long time to find a smoking gun, I doubt there’s any fresh compelling evidence. I don’t quite know.

The health of the victim in terms of another trial, well I think it’s a matter for her and her wishes. The prosecution shouldn’t make her mind up for her in relation to that particular issue.

They are not medically qualified to assess her mental state anyway. Before anyone goes off at me, that’s s just one issue of many to consider and not the only factor. I will address some of the other criterion later.

Evidence ( or lack thereof) is king I think and the jury’s perceptions of it.

I am not interested in the money side of it so much as I am happy for my taxes to be used for law enforcement and courts etc so long as politicians of all sides stay out of it and the experts run it.

Its not beyond anyone to act in the good faith but make mistakes. From the probationary constable 3rd class to the premier of nsw.

Last edited:

aussie7798

First Grade
SMH today. LINK https://www.smh.com.au/sport/pleasu...illed-the-post-admirably-20210514-p57s22.html

I’ll ask again, just who is running the show at St George Illawarra Dragons? I was previously gobsmacked by the news that they were pursuing Israel Folau. But this week comes the news that even though Jack de Belin was dealing with seriously grave rape charges, last year the Dragons gave de Belin a $200,000-a-year pay rise on a new four-year contract. I am not making that up. Look it up! It was put to me rather well by a former NRL Club CEO on Thursday night: “I think rugby league must be the only place in Australia where you can be facing serious rape charges and get a $200,000 pay rise and a new four-year deal.”

Any arguments from anyone?

Seems odd we would give him a pay rise while facing these charges ?

The contract is entirely contingent on that he comes out on top of the trial and he is being paid a a rate of approx $1000 a week till the conclusion of the trial. If the trial goes against the accused then the contract is voided.

JDB was the target of a warriors offer and that was why we had to increase the size of our offer.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I thought the lumpster was being ironic and also asking us to consider two sides of the story.

In other cases, there’s dodgy cops but it’s rare. Plenty of dodgy lawyers too lol

I guess he @boardlumps62 knows his points better than us!
Not really sure I'm a Dragon supporter who has life experience that's all. IMO I can see exactly what's going on and I will add I bet there are police trolls monitoring this site and other Dragon forums. Everyone realises that someone is promoting this case High Profile that must make people wonder.

BLM01

First Grade

thebigredv

First Grade
Can someone with more knowledge state how much we have paid JDB from our cap the last two and a half years?? I realise there was a like for like replacement at some point in the Patrick Kaufusi who was so good we had to stop playing him to be fair to the others.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm wondering if someone on the forum can enlighten me as to whether or not there would be a chance that if the DPP goes for a 3rd trial, there would be an 8 women, 4 men jury or it can't be because the defence would challenge this or can the defence challenge it? I feel that the women in the previous juries could have voted guilty and a couple of men as well but not enough to give a verdict on the other 5 charges in the last trial and maybe on the 6 charges in the first trial. If there were more women than men, would there have been a different story?

The other thing is, could one of the members in either of the juries who was deadset convinced of a guilty verdict for all of the 6 charges contact the DPP to let them know what the count actually was in their voting? This could help to decide a 3rd trial - only saying but hopefully no-one on the panels is reading this post to give any ideas. So mods, if you feel this post should not be posted, please delete.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
As per a previous post, is there is a report that likes to point out that Saints are not only supporting JDB but are giving him a pay increase? Wow. Great journalism if it was in a newspaper or where ever it was stated. Do they also state that if he in fact is guilty of rape, he will not get a single cent from Saints.

That there is a strong case for defamation if I ever saw one as they are basically saying Saints will be paying this guy even if guilty which is a pretty strong statement to make against an organisation especially seeing it is false and Saints have publicly stated that the contract will only stand if he is not charged of the crime.

possm

Coach
I have said it before, the NRL when issuing their legal 'no-fault stand down policy', should have immediately taken over De Belin's contract until the courts had completed their actions. It would have then been up to them what was paid to De Belin and Saints would have been free to recruit/promote another player on a one-year deal rolled over until the court action is completed.

The Dragons did nothing wrong but were left to show loyalty and support to one of its star players who insists he is innocent. This should never have been the case. And when the legal action is completed, Saints to be given a first-choice option to recruit De Belin.

Gareth67

First Grade
As I said last week - the vultures from the media are now descending to feed upon the scant remains of the carcass .

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I have said it before, the NRL when issuing their legal 'no-fault stand down policy', should have immediately taken over De Belin's contract until the courts had completed their actions. It would have then been up to them what was paid to De Belin and Saints would have been free to recruit/promote another player on a one-year deal rolled over until the court action is completed.

It won't work because just say Saints get a player on a 1 year rolling contract and he becomes a gun, then what do Saints do when the JDB trial is over and is innocent? Keep the guy on JDB money or JDB? They can only keep 1. The club then have to possibly move others out to keep JDB and it is not then fair on them. Not easy balancing the cap if you are not the Chooks, Dogs or Sharks.

Plus would a marquee or Rep player want to join a club on a 1 year rolling contract? That would be impossible. Reason I say that is JDB is a marquee or rep player so you want a like for like replacement. There is no way around this if the player in question is one of your best in the team unfortunately. If a fringe first grader it would be no issue. Really tough position.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I'm hearing from a confidential source within the NRL that even if the third trial does not proceed the NRL will not automatically allow JDB to resume playing. He will be required to go through some form of rehab/ counselling programme and then prove himself worthy to be readmitted to play...similar to Shane Flannaghan

st.phil

Bench
I'm hearing from a confidential source within the NRL that even if the third trial does not proceed the NRL will not automatically allow JDB to resume playing. He will be required to go through some form of rehab/ counselling programme and then prove himself worthy to be readmitted to play...similar to Shane Flannaghan
even if they let him play he'll get 8 weeks for a hip drop first tackle made

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Rehab for what exactly? If the charges are dropped he is not guilty of any crime. That would open up a whole can of legal worms for the NRL surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.