What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Hastings

I'm Sorry, Missed Jackson

• Total voters
Look our season is shot; we arn't going to make the finals. So why not offer Hastings a 3 to 4 year deal and tell him he will have the NRL 7 jumper for the rest of this season. Also let him know that if he kills em, he will be starting halfback for 2014.

The Dragons need to do something to entice him to sign up. Of course, also throw his mum a bone to seal the deal.

Doesn't turn 18 until January. Not eligible to play NRL due to age.
There may also be salary cap considerations.

jenninga

First Grade
Look our season is shot; we arn't going to make the finals. So why not offer Hastings a 3 to 4 year deal and tell him he will have the NRL 7 jumper for the rest of this season. Also let him know that if he kills em, he will be starting halfback for the early rounds of 2014.

The Dragons need to do something to entice him to sign up. Of course, also throw his mum a bone to seal the deal. Surely, the Roosters can't match a deal like that.

Depends on the bone.

Mr Red

First Grade
Did he re-sign? I wasn't aware..

well from my understanding he was already on contract until the end of next season.. i think there has been an upgrade to his existing contract.
the talk about the dragons signing him was pending Souths granting Keary a release - which they declined.

watatank

Coach
i was reading earlier this week that the dragons offered Luke Keary 300k per season. this is 5 times what he was on at the bunnies (60k a season) prior to Keary recently signing an upgraded contract package.
you would think if we were prepared to give Keary 300k a season then Hastings decision wont be based on money - surely the roosters would not offer any more then that given they already have Mitchell Pearce for halfback and Tuivasa-Sheck as next in line for fullback...

No one is going to pay Hastings 300k at this stage of his career. If it's about money the Roosters will most likely win out (look at who is in charge of recruitment), if he stays it will be because he has a better chance of progressing further and maybe playing first grade, the chance to stay local and play with his mates.

RednWhite

Bench
the roosters would not offer any more then that given they already have Mitchell Pearce for halfback and Tuivasa-Sheck as next in line for fullback

You don't understand the Rorters mentality - they are half back hoarders. I remember when they had Paul Green from the Sharks, Adrian Lam, Brett Finch from the Raiders, Firman and Josh Lewis from the Dragons
and Soward coming from the Under 20s.

BennyV

Referee
No one is going to pay Hastings 300k at this stage of his career. If it's about money the Roosters will most likely win out (look at who is in charge of recruitment), if he stays it will be because he has a better chance of progressing further and maybe playing first grade, the chance to stay local and play with his mates.

Roosters have a tendency to pay money for surnames ;-)

Seriously, am I the only person who isn't going to hang myself if he goes? From what I've seen of him, he is a decent player with a lot of development to do, thinks very highly of himself and TBH is a bit of a selfish player. I also dont think his best position is halfback - bit like Marshall, is better off injecting himself in a 5/8 or fullback roll rather than steering the team around. Very good prospect, yes, but I still believe that if his surname wasn't Hastings then he would be getting less than half the attention he currently gets...

KiamaSaint

Coach

Seriously, am I the only person who isn't going to hang myself if he goes? From what I've seen of him, he is a decent player with a lot of development to do, thinks very highly of himself and TBH is a bit of a selfish player. I also dont think his best position is halfback - bit like Marshall, is better off injecting himself in a 5/8 or fullback roll rather than steering the team around. Very good prospect, yes, but I still believe that if his surname wasn't Hastings then he would be getting less than half the attention he currently gets...

Was Horrie even that good? All I can remember is that the Roosters were on the bottom of the table while he was halfback.

watatank

Coach
Hard to see how a highly talented 17 year old that is rated by just about everyone and can play 1,6,7,9 wouldn't be a huge loss to us, regardless of what he goes on to do

TheRev

Coach

I want to keep him because I hate seeing kids with talent go before we even get a chance to see what they have.. and hes a footballer for sure.

But.. on the other side of the coin like you hes still an unknown quantity, hes certainly no guarantee.. and he doesnt actually blow me away in the games ive watched, hes quite slow with his passing and its pretty telegraphed, but hes 17 so I was kinda hoping we had a year or 2 to watch him grow =)

Was Horrie even that good? All I can remember is that the Roosters were on the bottom of the table while he was halfback.

I'm glad somebody pointed this out, because yeah, my recollection is the same.

I don't recall Kevin Hastings as being that good. Think more he was a long term and consistent Stalwart for the Chooks, and possibly a great Club man, but to coin a Price-ism, I am talking out my ars* here :)

And maybe BennyV is right, if his surname wasn't Hastings, maybe there wouldn't be half the fuss. ...but, i can't comment with any credibility, as I have never seen him play.

Father Ted

First Grade
fitness levels, from beginners to competitive athletes.
Playing information[edit]

Club Football:
Eastern Suburbs 1976-87. 228 games, 49 tries, 55 goals, 17 field goals, 281 points.
Barrow Raiders 1986-87. 23 games, 1 try, 2 field goals, 6 points.
Representative Football:
2 games for City Seconds 1981 and 1983.
1 game for NSW in the Rugby League State of Origin 1983
Grand Total: 254 games, 50 tries, 55 goals, 19 field goals, 287 points
Awards[edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Hastings

For at least three years he was top shelf i would say and that in an era of some pretty good halves.

Club Football:
Eastern Suburbs 1976-87. 228 games, 49 tries, 55 goals, 17 field goals, 281 points.
Representative Football:
Awards[edit]

For at least three years he was top shelf i would say and that in an era of some pretty good halves.

hmmm, ok ...i stand corrected - thems pretty good credentials - he WAS a great Player.

Think I was besotted by our great Slippery Morris to properly notice.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Club Football:
Representative Football:
Awards[edit]

He also played first grade with Berry in the south coast group 7 comp in early 90's when he was in his late 30's

_Johnsy

Referee
I saw Horrie play quite a few seasons. IMO he is one of the best footballer I have seen not wear the green & gold. He could play, no doubting that. I'd imagine father ted & willow would have seen him go around as well.

Latest posts