What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Field

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Dragon Field bulks up for 2018
Thu 23 Nov, 2017, 6:00pm
Brad Walter, NRL.com

image.ashx

St George Illawarra Dragons utility Jai Field has had to buy new clothes and put up with jibes about having a double-chin after eating his way from 72kg to 85kg since the start of last season.

Field, who estimates he gained about half of that 13kg during a six-week off-season break, has become the envy of teammates who are careful about keeping their weight down.

He has been placed on an eating program to help him bulk up as he tries to secure a regular position in the NRL side.

For the past 12 months, the Junior Kangaroos and NSW under-20s representative has been following a specially designed diet that requires him to eat around the clock.

"At the start, I was dead-set force-feeding myself," Field said. "Breakfast was the hardest, I'd wake up and be trying to eat, and it would take me half an hour, but then you get used to the amount of food you have to eat."

The 20-year-old's typical daily diet comprises of:

• A four-egg omelette for breakfast

• A morning snack

• Bread or pasta for lunch

• More pasta in the afternoon

• Steak or chicken with vegetables for dinner

• More pasta or bread before bed

In addition, Field drinks three protein shakes per day and milk with most meals.

"For breakfast, I was having like four-egg omelettes and heaps of milk, then I'd have a snack and more carbs like bread and pastas for lunch, and another snack – more pastas – before dinner," Field said.

"For dinner, I'd have some sort of protein, like steak or chicken, and vegies, and then more milk. I'd have a little break and then before I went to bed I'd have a little pasta or raisin toast and a protein shake. I was having two protein shakes during the day as well."

While has struggled to put on weight in the past, Field averaged a kilogram per week increase during the six-week break during the off-season – and he did it a way most of us can relate to.

"I left the season at 79kg and over that six or seven week break I didn't do a lot of running but I just stuck to my eating program and I came back 85kg," Field said. "It was like my body naturally put on weight."

The result has been a dramatic change to his body shape, which Field admitted has created challenges as he tries to bulk up without losing the speed which has him regarded as the fastest player in the Dragons squad.

"Last year I was 72kg and I was gliding along the ground doing it pretty easy but this year I am 13kg heavier than what I was. That's a fair bit of weight to put on in 12 months," he said.

"It was a shock to my system, my back was pretty stiff and sore, I had shin splints and everyone is saying I've got a few chins now.

"I had all small-to-medium shirts last year, but coming into summer now all the clothes I wore last year don't fit so I have had to get a whole new wardrobe."

Field is expecting to see benefits on the field as he vies for the St George Illawarra No.1 jersey left vacant when Josh Dugan departed for Cronulla.

After making his NRL debut in round 17 and playing two more first-grade games, Field is aiming for a regular position in the Dragons line-up but admits he needs to be stronger.

"Duges is gone now, so that's a spot that is up for grabs and hopefully I can try to compete for that spot," he said. "I need to get physically bigger to handle the contact. I was one of the lightest players going around last season so my body was pretty sore after games."

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
I sure admire his dedication. Obviously the club has given him the direction to bulk up for future opportunities.
Not being an expert on these things it will be interesting to see what it does to his pace.
From a positional perspective he could now be blooded on the wing in preparation of an opportunity at FB depending on how Dufty develops.
Good luck to him

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I really hope Jai hits his straps next year, I truly believe he can be a dynamic player for us whether that is off the bench as an impact player or in the run on side in some capacity. Whilst he is not an organisational player AT ALL, his running game and support play is incredibly potent. I'd actually put money on him to be right up there with the fastest guys in the comp. I think he has found the right position for him at fullback.

I'm not sure where he fits in with us with Hunt/Widdop/Dufty/Nichols/Mann in the squad, but I feel like there is a gun in there just waiting to be unleashed.

JDHD

Juniors
He's gained nearly 20% of his original body weight. Holy shit that's a lot of weight to pack on. He's basically added around 5 house bricks onto his frame.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
85-88kg is a good weight for him to be sitting at in the modern game.
Let's have a look at players who are around the same height or even shorter than Field and compare their playing weights.
Field is 181cms.

James Tedesco - 180cms & 93kgs
Lachlan Coote - 179cms & 85kgs
Billy Slater - 178cms & 88kgs
Ben Hunt - 178cms & 88kgs
Adam Reynolds - 173cms & 85kgs
Bevan French - 180cms & 84kgs
Moses Mbye - 180cms & 84kgs
Gareth Widdop - 181cms & 88kgs

These are just a few examples, there are countless more.
Yes the weight gain is quite substantial over a short period, but you have to remember that he is back into pre-season training now which is where he will be able to keep control of his fitness as speed. Look at someone like James Tedesco... He's actually shorter than Field and still has another 7kgs on him. Albeit Teddy has had some time to get used to his build, but he certainly hasn't lost any speed. In Field's case, the weight was only stacking on in the last 6 weeks because he wasn't doing anything.
I believe that he won't be sacrificing any of his speed at all, and he now has the next 3 or 4 months to focus on turning that weight into solid muscle.

Crush

Coach
If we're honest, though...Dugan shouldn't be the starting centre for Australia
Thats another thread altogether mate.
And one I can't be bothered starting. I once started a thread that Dugan was injury prone and it was rubbished by most people.
I still hold that view.

JDHD

Juniors
Thats another thread altogether mate.
And one I can't be bothered starting. I once started a thread that Dugan was injury prone and it was rubbished by most people.
I still hold that view.
Probably based it on all those times he was out injured, huh? Yeah no great loss. Field is a freak, he might be a late bloomer but we've got a good one on our books.

nontime111

Juniors
get him in the bench and USE HIM Mary!!
hell make forwards look like idiots at crucial stages in any game

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons: Field to pack a bigger punch in 2018
Dragons Den
r0_0_6000_4000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

UP-SIZED: Dragons young star Jai Field has added 13 kilos to his frame to tip the scales at 85 kilograms ahead of the 2018 season. Picture: Dragons
IT’S an off-season regime that would be the envy of the NRL’s big boppers, and it’s seen Dragons livewire Jai Field report for preseason 13 kilos heavier than last season.

The Shellharbour junior made his NRL debut in round one last season barely nudging 76 kilograms – and that came after stacking some beef on the 72-kilo frame he arrived with the previous October.

The former NYC star finished the season with three NRL games to his name and proved a genuine match-winner in Illawarra’s run to the Intrust Super Premiership finals.

Still, there were whispers that his sleight frame wasn’t up to the weekly rigours of the NRL. It saw the 20-year-old depart for the off-season with a simple instruction – eat and eat often.

“We’ve got great staff here and I’ve been on an eating program for 12 months now,” Field said.

“I started at 72 kilos last year and I was literally force-feeding myself. Brekky was the hardest, I’d wake up and it’d take me half an hour to get through it.

“I was eating four-egg omelettes with heaps of milk. I’d have a snack and then lots of bread and pasta for lunch and then another snack.

“I’d have dinner, steak or chicken, and then right before bed I’d have another snack – pasta or raisin bread.

“I’d have two big protein shakes during the day as well. You get used to the amount of food you’ve got to eat but it was struggle street early on.”

It’s a program that paid major dividends over the most recent off-season, seeing him return at a healthy 85 kilograms, though it has been a fair adjustment on the training paddock.

“Last year I was just gliding across the ground and doing it pretty easy,” he said.

“This year I’ve come back 13 kilos heavier than I was, it’s a fair bit in 12 months, so it’s a shock to system. We’ve planned to just plateau it out and try and play at 85 this year so my body can get used to playing at that weight.

“We’ll see where I go next year, if my body wants to naturally put on some more weight, I think that’s what happened a bit this time.

r0_0_6000_4000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HARD YARDS: "You get used to the amount of food you’ve got to eat but it was struggle street early on." Jai Field on his off-season diet regime. Picture: Dragons

“I went away at 79 and over that six-seven week break I was eating the same amount of food but the weight just went on fairly easy which I’ve struggled to do in the past.”

Having cracked the top-grade last season, Field is hoping for a more regular taste of NRL action in 2018. With Josh Dugan having departed, he appears locked in a duel with fellow youngster Matt Dufty for first crack at the No.1 jumper.

“With Duges gone that’s a spot that’s obviously up for grabs,” he said.

“Duft finished the year there and went really well.

“I strung some games together at the back end of last year playing pretty well in Cup so hopefully I can compete for that spot.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-diet-regimen-comes-up-big-for-field/?cs=3713

MrDragon007

Juniors
All thats needed is for him to maintain his speed. Even if the added weight slows him down a step or two he will still be one of the quickest players in the comp.
Young Dufty, who im a fan off, better add a few Kgs also or his spot will be taken by Field.
At 85 kgs, he may be 88-89 by kick off, thats ideal weight for a Fullback to not be as easily manhandled as Dufty was on kick returns.
Mann on the wing, Dufty on the other wing, and Field at Fullback with Hunt and Widdop in the Halves.
Replace Aitkins with a speedy youngster and we have a backline capable of lighting up the comp.
Over to you Mary.

Latest posts