What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

ALSGI

Bench
Dude, we have exactly 2 recognised first grade ready props for next year. Everyone else is manufactured or underdone.

Kerr's 'impact' has ended with him play off the bench for the last while - in reality, despite the rose-coloured glasses of many of our supporters, he has been ok at best. In fact, Lawrie has outshone him and deserved the call-up to first grade over him, despite being a year younger.

Props, along with hookers, need the most time to adjust to the speed and impact of first grade due to the step up in physicality and demand. Outside of freaks like Klemmer, these guys wont really be fully ready to form part of the prop rotation until at least 23-24years old, and wont really dominate first grade for another year or two after that. Having a player like Graham, who despite his form this year for the dogs still has a LOT to offer in first grade (both on and off the field), would be absolutely invaluable for these kids. A 2 year deal for Graham would provide the leadership and opportunity for the likes of Lawrie and Kerr to get themselves properly ready for a decent length career in first grade.
BennyV, I take your good points and hard to argue against (and some others good points too) I'm tending to agree, however I just can't get past the signing up a 32yo that another club is willing to let go. That's 4yrs older than our next oldest forward. Surely we can wait for better options?

Como Connection

First Grade
If we could land Graham, we'd be crazy not to sign him up. If not only for his efforts as a prop, but his leadership and sheer will to win.

This has been sadly lacking in recent years, most recently in the recent capitulation against the Rabbits. James Graham laying down the law and leading from the front would have seen us home that night and we wouldn't be struggling to make the semis like we are now.
Leadership is what the club needs desperately.
Therefore I vote yes to Graham.
CC

j0nesy

Bench
Graham in Packer out = same quality pack
Hunt + Dufty in Dugan + McCrone out = better backline
so 2018 we should come 7th instead of 8th/9th

I reckon 6th, despite Hunt being a huge upgrade on McCrone. It will take a while for Hunt and Widdop to click but we'll be strong at the back end of the season next season.

possm

Coach
If we get Graham for 400K next year, I am very please with that. I have not watched many Canterbury games this year, so I can not comment on Graham's recent form. I know one thing, Graham is a real competitor, who wants to win a premiership badly. We will have one of the better packs in the comp next year. We will also have one of the better pair of halves. Graham was probably the best prop on the market. I would still like us to sign Tagastese. That would give us Vaughan, Graham, Tagatese and AhMau as quality props, with Simms, Lawrie and Kerr as back up's.

Maybe his TPA will continue till the end date of his Dogs contract, so all is good for us and the Dogs.

possm

Coach
I reckon 6th, despite Hunt being a huge upgrade on McCrone. It will take a while for Hunt and Widdop to click but we'll be strong at the back end of the season next season.

Shouldn't take long at all. They're both professional first graders and any 'clicking' should occur in the off-season training program.

With Hunt, Graham and Mann at right centre, we should be a top 4 team in 2018.

j0nesy

Bench
Shouldn't take long at all. They're both professional first graders and any 'clicking' should occur in the off-season training program.

With Hunt, Graham and Mann at right centre, we should be a top 4 team in 2018.

It's different in a game situation against quality opposition and fast defensive lines. There's less time to think than at training. I reckon we'll finish 6th and go deep into the finals. Hope you're right though because it's hard to win from outside the top 4.

I see you've already penciled in Graham. I hope that comes off too. If it does come off will you credit Millward? You may be forgetting one thing though - Paul McGregor is still our coach next year. That won't change and so I can't see us improving enough to make the top 4.

possm

Coach
It's different in a game situation against quality opposition and fast defensive lines. There's less time to think than at training. I reckon we'll finish 6th and go deep into the finals. Hope you're right though because it's hard to win from outside the top 4.

I see you've already penciled in Graham. I hope that comes off too. If it does come off will you credit Millward? You may be forgetting one thing though - Paul McGregor is still our coach next year. That won't change and so I can't see us improving enough to make the top 4.

Yep, I'll credit Millward with the ability to take a call asking if we want Graham at 400k and with the ability of - after giving it a lot of thought - saying yes.

Brutalitops

Juniors
BennyV, I take your good points and hard to argue against (and some others good points too) I'm tending to agree, however I just can't get past the signing up a 32yo that another club is willing to let go. That's 4yrs older than our next oldest forward. Surely we can wait for better options?
They have put most of their team on the market. They don't want to actually let him go imo but they have to shed someone.

This is a club that got rid of Josh Reynolds, and now James Graham? Two of the most passionate players in the NRL. I wouldn't trust their judgement anymore, so I say let's get him before someone there comes to their senses

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons could land Graham in Bulldogs cap crisis

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

18 Aug 2017, 10:47 a.m.
r0_0_3956_3024_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

ON THE MOVE?: The Dragons have made an approach to Bulldogs captain James Graham as a possible replacement for Tigers-bound Russell Packer. Picture: AAP

The Canterbury Bulldogs have organised a recruitment and retention meeting for next week to outline a plan to get under the $9.4 million salary cap, with St George Illawarra making preliminary inquiries about the future of James Graham.

One of the options that is sure to be on the table at the Bulldogs meeting is allowing the skipper to depart Belmore with a year to run on his contract, with the Dragons having asked the question about the Englishman's future.

The Dragons have identified Broncos front-rower Adam Blair as their priority target to replace the Wests Tigers-bound Russell Packer, but have done their due diligence on Graham in case they fail to land Blair. The Dragons have discussed the possibility of a two-year deal for Graham but his manager is determined to secure a three-year contract that will allow the veteran prop to finish out his career in the NRL.

With Blair weighing up at least three-year deals from the Knights and Warriors, the Dragons are set to finalise their position next week and table an offer to entice the Kiwi to the joint venture despite the likelihood of him returning across the ditch to replace the Tigers-bound Ben Matulino.

The Dragons have discussed Graham as one of a couple of back-up options, but haven't held discussions with the Canterbury prop.

Thursday's NRL meeting with club chairs and CEOs saw the clubs unanimously agree on a $9.4 million salary cap, providing clubs with an extra $200,000 to spend than originally budgeted if the players agree to the figure on Monday.

Graham still has one year to run on his contract at the Bulldogs, which has been heavily back-ended, taking up more than $900,000 in next year's salary cap.

Even if another club agrees to take just half his freight for next year, it will be a huge bonus for the Bulldogs as they look to free up salary cap space to accommodate the pending arrival of Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods in 2018.

"We will have a recruitment and retention meeting next week to discuss it," Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib said. "Now that we know what the salary cap is likely to be we'll be in a better position to have all those discussions that we need to have. We're happy with the outcome of the meeting.

“All the clubs are united in moving forward. We still have to wait for the players to sign off on it, but it's a step in the right direction."

Canterbury haven't spoken to the Dragons about striking a deal to lure Graham to Wollongong, however now that the salary cap is on the verge of being settled at a higher-than-anticipated figure the player market is likely to heat up again.

One of the issues the Bulldogs face is that they have lodged all signed contracts for 2018 to the NRL and will be unable to alter the figures to make sure they are under the cap.

Some of their rivals have signed players but have held off lodging the contracts to the NRL until they receive confirmation on next year's cap, allowing them the flexibility to back-end deals and make necessary changes.

The salary cap will increase by $200,000 each year for next five years, providing clubs with an extra $1 million in the cap by the time the next broadcast rights deal comes to an end.

Dib, who has been accused by some clubs of agitating for his own benefit, appears to have been rewarded for his toil. While Canterbury were hopeful the cap would shoot up to as high as $9.6million for next year, he says it's a good outcome for the Bulldogs and rival clubs.

"It's a good outcome for everyone. We are all going to settle on $9.4 million," Dib said. "We are very happy with it actually. It's close to what we wanted."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4864270/dragons-make-approach-to-graham/?cs=3713

Latest posts