What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

james segeyaro and other recruits

darkbloom

Juniors
Gee we are a pessimistic bunch.

Just following the clubs lead.

It is easier to exceed expectations when you are pessimistic.

If we finish 14th or higher, the coach. management and board will get the nod acknowledging they have done what was expected.

My opinion is that anything lower than 8th will be a disappointment.

It is very sad that the club won't back themselves.

Doomednow

Bench
They won't back themselves because they are aware the team is average. I'd rather they play it cool and surprise a few people.

I have to say I'm pretty happy with the new recruits. None are super stars (yet) and they are untested as a team but there is as lot of potential there. I'm not sure 8 is a possibility after the team has had such a shake up but 10th is a maybe and as the players we intend to keep get used to playing together we are only going to get better.

Only a few weeks to go fellas let's get some positivity.

betcats

Referee
Fair enough comment, however, if we get to round 6 or so and are travelling poorly will you expect people to be positive if Newton, Walsh, Naiqama and co are picked week in and week out. It is absolute bullsh!t to tell paying members "keep paying those memberships at increased prices, but don't expect to see anything until at least 2015 when I am long gone." If he was a real general manager at a real company he would have been shown the door the second he made a comment like that. I am excited about the season ahead but have no illusions of finishing any higher than 13-14. I am excited to see how some of the young blokes go IF they get a run.

Why do u think these young players wont get a shot? Cleary brought through plenty of young players in nz and he continued the trend last season with us. Robinson, Simpkins, Austin, Mansour all saw a fair bit of FG while others like Achurch, Tamauta, the other robinson? played some games as well. It may not happen instantly but young players will be given a go next season, the coach has already talked up a couple of them.

darkbloom

Juniors
They won't back themselves because they are aware the team is average. I'd rather they play it cool and surprise a few people.

I have to say I'm pretty happy with the new recruits. None are super stars (yet) and they are untested as a team but there is as lot of potential there. I'm not sure 8 is a possibility after the team has had such a shake up but 10th is a maybe and as the players we intend to keep get used to playing together we are only going to get better.

Only a few weeks to go fellas let's get some positivity.

Well you are right when you said we are pessimistic. You certainly are if you will be happy finishing 10th. The club certainly is being happy to improve from second last.

I can't see any reason ever to aim below top 8.

rem286

Juniors
Why do u think these young players wont get a shot? Cleary brought through plenty of young players in nz and he continued the trend last season with us. Robinson, Simpkins, Austin, Mansour all saw a fair bit of FG while others like Achurch, Tamauta, the other robinson? played some games as well. It may not happen instantly but young players will be given a go next season, the coach has already talked up a couple of them.

I have no idea whether they will get a shot, and I am not saying they won't, I just hope that Cleary or Gould or whichever one of them is actually calling the shots gets them involved early. I dont want them to wait until half way through the season again before they bring them in.

franklin2323

Immortal
the coach has already talked up a couple of them.

He also talked up Naiqama at 1. Brown in the centres. I was excited when we signed Brown as it strengthened the backrow. Him as a centre isn't a good signing.

I won't get too worked up until we see the team for round 1. Aside from Lewis, Gordon, Achurch & Jennings.

We have the same core that finished the year so well. Add Segeyaro, Manu, Brown (as a backrower), Whare, Austin & Smith back from injury. . We have a decent side.

Graftonpanther

Juniors
We have a side to snag a top 8 spot, there are some good young prospects in the signings as well, Latimore could be a good signing as well, showed some promise at the Dragons. But then again I have supported the Panthers a long time, I always have high hopes at the beginning of every year.

soc123_au

Staff member
I just want the season to start. As much as I would like to see all the kids named for round one, I will trust Clearys judgement as to when they are ready. It is probably best to blood them slowly with a few old hands. If we chuck them all in we will end up wrecking a few of them.

franklin2323

Immortal
Gee we are a pessimistic bunch.

Gee. Wonder why. We have been told not to expect too much until 2015. We are playing this year atleast$600-700k under the salary cap. Have the same ineffective spine from the last few seasons. So it's easy to not expect much.

If we get selections right we can make the 8 given our pretty easy draw we have. though prob aim lower is the better option so we are.

The OX

Juniors
I just want the season to start. As much as I would like to see all the kids named for round one, I will trust Clearys judgement as to when they are ready. It is probably best to blood them slowly with a few old hands. If we chuck them all in we will end up wrecking a few of them.

Yep.

betcats

Referee
I have no idea whether they will get a shot, and I am not saying they won't, I just hope that Cleary or Gould or whichever one of them is actually calling the shots gets them involved early. I dont want them to wait until half way through the season again before they bring them in.

Ivan is the one who has been hired to make those calls, i'd rather see our coach working with a plan to develop our youngsters and giving them a chance when he thinks it is best instead of just throwing them in straight away.

Some players beneift from being chucked in early, others need some seasoning in lower grades. Also we might not like hearing it but experince does count for something.

Edit: I dont wanna see Naqaima, Tighe, newton etc picked either but Cleary is the coach and he will live and die by his own decisions. Im prepared to back him for now.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Ivan is the one who has been hired to make those calls, i'd rather see our coach working with a plan to develop our youngsters and giving them a chance when he thinks it is best instead of just throwing them in straight away.

Some players beneift from being chucked in early, others need some seasoning in lower grades. Also we might not like hearing it but experince does count for something.

Edit: I dont wanna see Naqaima, Tighe, newton etc picked either but Cleary is the coach and he will live and die by his own decisions. Im prepared to back him for now.

Fair enough. Say we play Whare/Tighe centres with Mansour on the wing. I can't see why we can't have players like Pangai, Moylan and Roberts share fullback and wing spot. To have these positions filled by say Simmons/Naiqama does nothing for the team long term.

Big Mick

Referee
Fair enough. Say we play Whare/Tighe centres with Mansour on the wing. I can't see why we can't have players like Pangai, Moylan and Roberts share fullback and wing spot. To have these positions filled by say Simmons/Naiqama does nothing for the team long term.

Could also do nothing for the long term if they promote young players too early, their confidence gets shattered by poor play and then their career plummets.

Lets not act like this doesn't happen....it is happened a fair few times at Penrith...

The mantra of "If he is good enough, he is young enough" only works really if the player is special. If a player is only ok...and you don't develop him slowly to ensure he can handle the rigors of the NRL, then it is worth nothing.

I.e. look what Cleary did with Shaun Johnson. He handled him with kid gloves...gave him a taste early in the season, then he dropped him despite the fact everyone was like "WTF are you doing Cleary...you idiot". But Johnson went to the Vulcans and developed his game...and came back a much better player mid-way through the year to turn into a great young player.

I think I'll trust Cleary to know when to develop them.

Case in point here last year...Matt Robinson...got given a taste, did ok but wasn't exceptional...back to NSW Cup to develop more and came back an even better player...

betcats

Referee

I agree with this, but if we run out a backline of say Whare, Roberts,Tighe,Jennings,Mansour(ir something similar made up of mostly our young guys) in round 1 its a pretty inexperienced backline in terms of FG experience, Playing with each other, and playing under Cleary.

I thinks its is more likely that we will see some of the older more experienced guys getting picked with one or two young guys being brought in at a time.

The way see it even if Tighe and Simmons get are getting picked there spots are up for grabs, its just a matter of who and when someone will take their spot.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree with this, but if we run out a backline of say Whare, Roberts,Tighe,Jennings,Mansour(ir something similar made up of mostly our young guys) in round 1 its a pretty inexperienced backline in terms of FG experience, Playing with each other, and playing under Cleary.

I thinks its is more likely that we will see some of the older more experienced guys getting picked with one or two young guys being brought in at a time.

The way see it even if Tighe and Simmons get are getting picked there spots are up for grabs, its just a matter of who and when someone will take their spot.

If we wanted experienced backs we keep Gordon and Jennings.

Tighe's close too 200 games. No matter who we go our back row is experienced so you have experience 3 in from the wing. So we are no worse off then a Coote/Walsh 1/2's pairing in defence.

Again we still have 3 trials before we get a side so I won't get too worked up yet

franklin2323

Immortal
Could also do nothing for the long term if they promote young players too early, their confidence gets shattered by poor play and then their career plummets.

Lets not act like this doesn't happen....it is happened a fair few times at Penrith...

The mantra of "If he is good enough, he is young enough" only works really if the player is special. If a player is only ok...and you don't develop him slowly to ensure he can handle the rigors of the NRL, then it is worth nothing.

I.e. look what Cleary did with Shaun Johnson. He handled him with kid gloves...gave him a taste early in the season, then he dropped him despite the fact everyone was like "WTF are you doing Cleary...you idiot". But Johnson went to the Vulcans and developed his game...and came back a much better player mid-way through the year to turn into a great young player.

I think I'll trust Cleary to know when to develop them.

Case in point here last year...Matt Robinson...got given a taste, did ok but wasn't exceptional...back to NSW Cup to develop more and came back an even better player...

Who says we need the same young kids playing all year. Say we have 2 back spots up for grabs. We can use all of Moylan, Roberts, Pangai, Jennings, Moss etc. A few games go back come back up. Given how hit and miss juniors are we need to try as many as possible

Kilkenny

Coach
Who says we need the same young kids playing all year. Say we have 2 back spots up for grabs. We can use all of Moylan, Roberts, Pangai, Jennings, Moss etc. A few games go back come back up. Given how hit and miss juniors are we need to try as many as possible

Surely the job of the head coach is to select who he believes is the best available 17 to win football games. If he includes blooding a youngster or two great, if not, Clearly obviously believes they aren't ready and surely he is in the best position to judge. Giving juniors a run in the top grade for the sake of it is a recipe for disaster. Youngsters will be groomed and blooded when the right time presents itself. I'm comfortable supporting the sides Cleary selects.

betcats

Referee
If we wanted experienced backs we keep Gordon and Jennings.

Tighe's close too 200 games. No matter who we go our back row is experienced so you have experience 3 in from the wing. So we are no worse off then a Coote/Walsh 1/2's pairing in defence.

Again we still have 3 trials before we get a side so I won't get too worked up yet

We tried to keep Gordon...Jennings was the wrong type of experience, Lazy, inconsistent and overpaid massively.

And you(or I) don't know how good or bad a defensive combo will be, you can say we would be no worse off but that means nothing to me, its basically an optimistic guess imo especially when talking about players who have played none or very little FG, it could be a lot worse.

Im just expecting over the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the season to see more of the older experienced guys picked.

betcats

Referee
Ive just seen the trial squad, cant be bothered typing it out as it is extended but some interesting picks, Austin at 7 for one, also the fijian on the wing, and Pangai in the backrow. Im keen to hear how Roberts does in the centres as well as Jennings and Santin on the bench.

Edit: the squad was on facebook and this comment is in the wrong thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts