What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamie Soward

Saint Ronald

Juniors
Mate, I think you are a wonderfully gifted footballer and have no concerns about winning the premiership with you in the team. BUT! Please stop trying to tackle the likes of Greg Inglis and Lote Tuquiri the way you do. They have been swatting you away like a fly. Go low. You have head gear on. Trust me you won't get hurt. Your confidence, as high as it is, will no doubt escalate after you knock down a few of those bigger blokes with low tackles.

n r l f a n

Juniors
worry about the premiership after (if) they make the grand final;)

Great performance by sowie last night...except that attempted tackle...

saints_fireup

Juniors
I'm still bemused as to why he persists in tackling around the torso, or who's teaching him to for that matter. The great small defensive halfbacks, Langer, Kimmorley and the like, all tackled around the legs..

watatank

Coach
Hahaha yep, try get him around the legs and then players like Scott and Gasnier can tackle them higher.

murraymob

Coach
would love to see if soward is not picked for origin how they justify it.I think he has answered any question they may have had about him this year

stg666

Juniors
stanley is a gem at the leg tackles. just do what feels good sowie.as long as we keep winning,

Nevan_

First Grade
Players don't tackle around the legs anymore because it leads to quick play the balls.

watatank

Coach
Players don't tackle around the legs anymore because it leads to quick play the balls.

This is true but Soward should be the last person to try it. He's not up defending in the middle, he's defending out side and cover tackles are more important. He's put some decent shots on Taylor and Tonga tackling low and I'd say he's strong enough to bring most players down

Dragon Dave

Bench
I must have been watching a different game? I thought Jamie defended brilliantly last night. He was targeted all night, moreso than normal, and had Heighinton/Tuquiri running at him all night.

That attempt on Lote when he scored was not poor technique, he was attacking the ball which is what you're taught to do when a guy is running in a try. How many players has Lote fended off close to the line over the last 10 years? Jamie has obviously been coached to tackle high so Scott and co. can come in and finish the job.

Sloth

Juniors
I think he has been told to slow them down and tie up the ball until the cover comes across. He did get a good ball and all tackle on Lote for a goal line drop out. I am sure if Wayne was not happy with his technique it would of changed by now.

evil_p091280

Juniors
Phil "self proclaimed league knowall" rothfield today said that NSW are certain to announce Barrett as 6 and captain in his origin swansong for game 3...
Must be cause the sharks are so awesome and Barrett guided the team to plenty of points in game 2.

stg666

Juniors
if leg tackles are not on these days someone better tell kyle.they hit the ground quick and hard and often when he does it . last week he nailed numerous beautiful lower leg classics. reminded me of the way snoopy collins used to tackle.

boxa777

Coach
I must have been watching a different game? I thought Jamie defended brilliantly last night. He was targeted all night, moreso than normal, and had Heighinton/Tuquiri running at him all night.

That attempt on Lote when he scored was not poor technique, he was attacking the ball which is what you're taught to do when a guy is running in a try. How many players has Lote fended off close to the line over the last 10 years? Jamie has obviously been coached to tackle high so Scott and co. can come in and finish the job.

I watched the same game as you. His defence has definitely improved and using the Tuqiri missed tackle is a feeble attempt to justify the poor defender argument. Most players would have missed Tuqiri in that instance given his ability to wrong foot the defence in that scenario.

Soward's moving up quick and meeting the players with some muscle behind it. Not worried about his defence at all anymore. Hard not to learn when you're defending next to the Brian Urlacher of the NRL.

maestro1

Bench
Jamie tackles high so he can stay on his feet. He is thenn in a position to chase if the original tackle is ineffective and/or they offload. Him staying on his feet has saved a lot of tries over the last two seasons. It can also be argued that this ploy has led to breaks by our bigger opposition....Vativai, Tuquiri, Inglis, Dave Taylor, etc...

But it is definitely a tactic we employ. Jamie definitely knows how to tackle low. He is very good at it, but he is being coached to stay on his feet.

j0nesy

Bench
Come on, he missed a lot more than 1 tackle on Tuqiri. NRL stats have him down as 5 missed tackles. I saw at least 3 which resulted in a line break. Good player, and his defence has improved, but lets no delude ourselves - he is a risk. I wonder where he is going to defend when Gasnier slots in to the centres?

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
It sounds like it's "Bag Soward day".

Let Bennett and Soward worry about how he tackles or next time you guys see him you can give him some advice.

Divine

Bench
..."Jamie tackles high so he can stay on his feet. He is thenn in a position to chase if the original tackle is ineffective and/or they offload. Him staying on his feet has saved a lot of tries over the last two seasons. It can also be argued that this ploy has led to breaks by our bigger opposition....Vativai, Tuquiri, Inglis, Dave Taylor, etc...

But it is definitely a tactic we employ. Jamie definitely knows how to tackle low. He is very good at it, but he is being coached to stay on his feet."

I think its to avoid possible injury and general "wear and tear"as well:He looked fresh as a daisy scoring in the 75min against the Tiges. Soward's job is to halt momentum in the tackle and wrap up the ball (hopefully) while the heavy hitters arrive. A fast moving defensive unit can handle this. You'll notice the stronger guys can brush him relatively quickly and move through the line b4 the troops get there but they're few and far between and include those mentioned by maestro1.

Last edited:

Efresh

Coach
if leg tackles are not on these days someone better tell kyle.they hit the ground quick and hard and often when he does it . last week he nailed numerous beautiful lower leg classics. reminded me of the way snoopy collins used to tackle.

Kyle pulled off a ripper on Fui Fui in the Parra game a couple of weeks ago. Fui had a full head of steam attacking the tryline and Stanley dropped him with ease by going low around the legs. Beautiful to watch.

Latest posts