What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarome Luai

Fangs

Coach
Amazing debut. I'd argue even more impressive than Te Maire Martin's. Guy reminds me of Andrew Johns.

I don't recall Matt Moylan being incredible in reserve grade. Though he immediately made the step up when he hit firsts. Perhaps Luai is in that mould.

Tough to keep. May be at another club in 2019 if he remains behind Cleary and Maloney. Which NRL clubs wouldn't throw the cheque book at him?

tripster

Juniors
Delete the thread! Other clubs will read it and we will lose him!!!

Unfortunately too late for that I think after tonight...

Panfa

Juniors
Jerome has always looked good in every grade he got injured and would have made his debut before cleary i rate him a better talent than cleary we need to resign jerome 1st cause cleary gonna leave anyway

The Realist

Juniors
Yeah this kid has talent that can't be taught, trained or gained through experience. This is why I had a huge problem with Maloney being on a 3 year deal...that we would lose a guy like him in the process.

If we have Cleary and Jerome together, we have a potential dynasty. They both play a very different style and would complement each other very well.

The problem with Maloney is that his style/role in the team is very similar to Cleary's so they sort of get in each others way/clash a little. Maloney is now much more dominant but when he is, Cleary becomes a bit of a passenger and somewhat redundant.

If Laui plays consistently anywhere near the level of last night, I'd prefer to keep him ahead of Cleary. An organising, kicking defensive halfback can be trained and gained with experience whilst the physical talent and instinct of Jerome can't be.

Cleary replaces Maloney as our organising half when he leaves. We have to make it clear to Luai that he is our first pick five-eighth once Maloney goes and it is up to him whether he will wait it out... unfortunately I doubt he will but we have to wait and see.

tripster

Juniors
Let’s also not get too carried away. He was brilliant, no doubt, but let’s see how he goes against the Sharks next week (hopefully he gets a crack).

maple_69

Bench
I reckon Gus will work towards flipping Jimmy (hopefully after a Prem) for the last year of his contract. Luai will slide right in and we’ll keep Cleary on 1.1x3 or something and you still have a pretty good value spine.

Then we can either just commit to a core group of blokes to ride for a decade and retool around them with kids or Cleary moves and Luai becomes the man and we reload with some other kid.

Would be nice.

TheFrog

Coach
Let’s also not get too carried away. He was brilliant, no doubt, but let’s see how he goes against the Sharks next week (hopefully he gets a crack).
One of the Origin halves will have to back up, we can't go in without a recognised goal kicker against the Sharks, even though we got away with it tonight.

franklin2323

Immortal
Cleary replaces Maloney as our organising half when he leaves. We have to make it clear to Luai that he is our first pick five-eighth once Maloney goes and it is up to him whether he will wait it out... unfortunately I doubt he will but we have to wait and see.

That was why we signed Maloney. It will take Luai 2 years to be a regular FGer. So need time

The Penrith Panthers have issued a ‘hands off’ warning on boom rookie Jarome Luai after his stunning demolition of the Warriors last night.

Filling in for NSW Blues halfback Nathan Cleary, 21-year-old Luai stole the show in the Panthers' 36-4 rout, bagging 20 points from two tries and six goals.

A former Junior Kiwi captain, Luai is on contract to the Panthers until the end of next season.

But with Cleary blocking his pathway to a regular top grade spot, rival clubs are certain to make inquiries about Luai’s availability.

“Absolutely (we are looking to extend him),” Panthers boss Phil Gold told Wide World Of Sports.

“I’m confident Jarome is a long term NRL player. We have never doubted his ability.

“He can play halfback, five-eighth and fullback equally as well. He is on contract for 2019 and we have no plans to let him go.”

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Delete the thread! Other clubs will read it and we will lose him!!!

Unfortunately too late for that I think after tonight...

Eels need tp go for thisnkid and Henthrington. You cant keep them all and we cant develop none

hindy111

Post Whore
I reckon Gus will work towards flipping Jimmy (hopefully after a Prem) for the last year of his contract. Luai will slide right in and we’ll keep Cleary on 1.1x3 or something and you still have a pretty good value spine.

Then we can either just commit to a core group of blokes to ride for a decade and retool around them with kids or Cleary moves and Luai becomes the man and we reload with some other kid.

Would be nice.

I agree. Jerome would be insurance if Cleary walks. If doesnt he plays a bit part roll in 2019 and they move Maloney on for 2020. Even if it means they pay a bit Gould always gets rid of giys easy.
Cartwright,Moylan,Hiku come to mind.

Gee no looking back since Moylan and Cartwright left, plenty cried.

Moylan is however playing well.

hindy111

Post Whore
You've got Norman and Moses, the NSW no.7 in waiting :):):)

Moses is very good. His tacklings improved. And still just 23yld. But when in a side where forwards get dominated its hard.
Norman is not consistant. However swap your pack with ours and id say Moses would look greast while Cleary and Maloney not so much.

Moses is very good. His tacklings improved. And still just 23yld. But when in a side where forwards get dominated its hard.
Norman is not consistant. However swap your pack with ours and id say Moses would look greast while Cleary and Maloney not so much.
Moses is a peathearted fraud. Straight up reserve grader

betcats

Referee
That was his second nrl game but yes he looks great. St Mary’s junior, junior kiwi captain and Samoan international, where the f**k is this kid from? Lol