What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarred Maxwell......

Hallatia

Referee
He would have been better to not say anything or try and justify it :crazy: It's actually insulting :roll:
This is precisely why I didn't want answers from him. The whole incident was rage inducing to the extent that it could put you off Rugby League. It's hard to think about without being pissed off.

I accept that refs are human and make mistakes and on the whole I think they do balance out, BUUUUT there are mistakes and then there is that incident *RAAAAAAAAAGE*

Craig Johnston

First Grade
what will f**kstick Harrigan say?

NOTHING

PARRAMATTA has nothing to whinge about according to NRL referees' coach Bill Harrigan after a review of an incident that spoiled Parramatta legend Nathan Hindmarsh's 300th game for the club in the local derby against Penrith on Saturday night.

Penrith snatched a golden point win after referee Jared Maxwell signalled time off with a second left in regulation time. Parramatta had been caught in possession on the last tackle after Luke Burt had regathered a kick that had come off a Penrith player.

"Referee Jared Maxwell made the right call," Harrigan told The Australian yesterday.

"In fact Maxwell could have easily penalised Luke Burt for not leaving the ball on the ground on the last tackle for the changeover.

"Instead he rightly called time off. Burt made the mistake of handling the ball. Had he not, time would have expired, game over. A player like Burt has been in the game long enough to know the rules. He was in the wrong to handle the ball. It could have cost Parramatta a penalty."

Harrigan said Maxwell was right to call the play a rebound and not a charge down.

"He was also correct in stopping the clock. Parramatta can whinge and complain all they like, but Maxwell gets a clean bill of health from me.

"Burt should have handed the ball over right away for a changeover on the last tackle."

From the restart the Panthers scored a "miracle" try that extended the match into golden point extra time. A field goal from halfback Luke Walsh earned the Panthers the two premiership points to continue their march to the finals and spoil Hindmarsh's post-game celebrations.

"It's the worst way to get beat, a second left on the clock and you've got the game in the bag," Hindmarsh said after the match.

Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne declined to comment last night.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...referee-harrigan/story-e6frg7mf-1226097130654

there we have it, hollywood harrigan says it's burtys fault.

attacks his experience and everything...........unbelievable

strider

Post Whore
"He was also correct in stopping the clock. Parramatta can whinge and complain all they like, but Maxwell gets a clean bill of health from me.
ok - i've accepted their ruling, but this is not very professional. Clubs have a right to question something, I haven't seen the club "whinging". Harrigan has always been one of these dicks who thinks he should just get respect, but he does nothing to earn it with bullshit comments like this

he also says Burt shouldn't have handled the ball .... ummm, he got tackled with it dude, it was in his hands, of course he's going to be "handling" it

oldmancraigy

Coach
or hayne could have just drilled it over the sideline as most experienced players would have and time would have runout before they could have packed a scrum. Why take the risk of running it to the line and trying to kick it down field.

Sure - but hey, Haynes 23, and playing his second game in the halves this year (5th overall?) and hopefully he learns from that. If he does it ever again we can be upset.

He also kicks the ball with about 15s left to play, so every chance the Panthers can pack a scrum anyhow --> hopefully he's told NEXT TIME GET IT OUT NO MATTER WHAT! But in the end the kick was fine in that we had the ball with a great opportunity to "spoil" the last 10seconds, and we got let down big time by a vet who should've known better.

oldmancraigy

Coach
ok - i've accepted their ruling, but this is not very professional. Clubs have a right to question something, I haven't seen the club "whinging". Harrigan has always been one of these dicks who thinks he should just get respect, but he does nothing to earn it with bullshit comments like this

he also says Burt shouldn't have handled the ball .... ummm, he got tackled with it dude, it was in his hands, of course he's going to be "handling" it

No - I think he means after Burt stands up.

The thing I have a problem with is that this "handling of the ball" happens almost every time there's a last tackle turnover. Some idiot will throw the ball away, or hide it up his jersey or something!
I've never ever even ONCE seen time off in that scenario.

So while the referee may have had the right to blow time off if it never usually happens why shouldn't we whinge about it - especially when it cost us a victory that would've kept us in touch with the top 8.

Parra Guru

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ys-bill-harrigan/story-e6frexnr-1226097096344

PARRAMATTA pair Tim Mannah and Ben Smith - not referee Jared Maxwell - are to blame for the clock being stopped in the dying stages of Saturday's heart-breaking loss to Penrith.
That is the opinion of NRL referees boss Bill Harrigan, who said there is no way Maxwell can be held accountable for Parramatta's 21-20 golden-point defeat.
The heart-breaking result ruined the 300th game of club favourite Nathan Hindmarsh - and also the club's slim finals hopes. The Eels have now blown out from $9 to $15 with TAB Sportsbet to make the eight.
Parramatta play Canterbury on Friday night, but Eels fans remain baffled by Maxwell's decision to blow time off at the death.
With his team ahead 20-14, Jarryd Hayne sent a kick down field. It bounced off a Penrith player and Eels fullback Luke Burt fell on the ball on his 10m line.

Maxwell quickly blew time off with 2sec on the clock, giving Penrith one last play.
They kept the ball alive to score after the siren and Luke Walsh slotted the winning field goal when the game went into extra time.
Harrigan last night told The Daily Telegraph Maxwell would not have needed to take action had Mannah and Smith not interfered with the play the ball.
Replays showed Mannah trying to block Panthers pair Nafe Seluini and Michael Jennings from the ball.
Smith then picked up the ball and trotted back to his own goal-line.
"The requirement here was for Luke Burt to leave the ball on the ground and let the changeover take place. But that doesn't happen," Harrigan said.
"Tim Mannah runs in to block the ball, then Ben Smith picks it up and walks away with it. They were responsible for it and the ref straight away says, 'If you're not going to leave the ball, you're time-wasting'."Burt needed to be tackled, then leave the ball and get straight up to be marker.
"That would have put pressure on Penrith to rush in and try and get a quick play the ball, or the hooter goes and time is finished."
Harrigan said the rules wouldn't have been applied had the result not been on the line. "If it was 26-6 they wouldn't have bothered stopping the clock because the game was over," he said.
Mannah was unaware of the time-wasting rule.
Smith was "stunned" by the decision. "If there weren't a couple of seconds to go, would the whistle have been blown?" Smith asked. "We could have had a couple of wins in a row and bit of confidence."

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Honestly Bill didn't let me down, i told a mate this would be the outcome and he would even blame the Parra players. The guy is easier to read than Spot goes to School.

Y2Eel

First Grade

SDM

First Grade
So what about this scenario Its round 26 a team needs to lose by no less then lets say 10 to make the top 8 (on for and against) and are 12 behind and the same thing happens?

Which team is it?

Y2Eel

First Grade
Which team is it?

Brisbane Bombers

Bombers--logo_black_red.jpg

born an eel

Bench
Sure - but hey, Haynes 23, and playing his second game in the halves this year (5th overall?) and hopefully he learns from that. If he does it ever again we can be upset.

He also kicks the ball with about 15s left to play, so every chance the Panthers can pack a scrum anyhow --> hopefully he's told NEXT TIME GET IT OUT NO MATTER WHAT! But in the end the kick was fine in that we had the ball with a great opportunity to "spoil" the last 10seconds, and we got let down big time by a vet who should've known better.
for a start, Hayne is not being paid as an inexperienced rookie, he is the highest paid player in the team. He also had every oppertunity to kick the ball without running to the line.

There was a chance that they could have set a scrum but there was also a chance of them mounting an attack from a clearing kick down field after the hooter.

Burt didn't not have to be standing so far back behind the play the ball and could have been near Hayne as an option to kick the ball if Hayne found himself under extra pressure. We were lucky he was back in the position he was.

The ref failed to signal the change over properly and Burt was under the impression it was a penalty and can be seen to ask Smith, "what was that for?". If the ref signalled properly he may have well left the ball on the ground.

Time off was signalled prior to Smith getting the ball.

To lay the blame on Burt is very unfair and several factors led to the situation.

Parra Guru

Coach
Pretty sure Burt would have thought it was a charge down. He did the right thing by going to ground with it.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
So what about this scenario Its round 26 a team needs to lose by no less then lets say 10 to make the top 8 (on for and against) and are 12 behind and the same thing happens?
Exactly.

Sterlo "the wise" pointed out on the Sunday Footy Show that as soon as you start refereeing differently in the last minutes you open up a can of worms.

And Harrigan the idiot has just shown that to be true.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fair point actually.

I was thinking that it's fair enough if they referee differently depending on time left and the closeness of the scores, but I guess I've now reconsidered that position.

I still think the game needs better time management rules to take it out of the ref's hands. That includes policing the speed of the play-the-ball.

Latest posts