What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne to play for Fiji

Gronk

Staff member
League star opts for Fiji
Jul 25, 2006, 14:22

jarryd_hayne_b.jpg

New Zealand and Australia's hopes of securing 18 year old Parammatta Eels winger Jaryd Hanes for the World Cup squad have been dashed after the youngster opted to play for Fiji.
Former Fiji Bati Coach Shane Morris, has been in contact with the youngster who has indicated his interest in playing his first World Cup for the Bati side.

Audio Comment

Hayne is the son of former Bati vice Captain Manoa Thompson, who played alongside Noa Nadruku, Peni Musunamasi and Alifereti Dere.

At 18, the prolific try scoring machine is within sight of the NRL's top-try scoring award as well as the Rookie-of-the-year award.Haynes recently scored 4 tries helping his Parrmatta team trounce Newcastle Knights 46-12.

© Copyright 2002 Fijivillage.com
http://www.fijivillage.com/artman/publish/article_31269.shtml

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
that's odd, he was born here, you'd think he''d want to play for Australia

Nickeel

Juniors
Good on him, I say. I mean, it would be great to see him in the green and gold one day, but I like the idea that a talented player might for once ignore Aust and NZ to play for a smaller country of ancestry that needs a hand.

Nick

Gronk

Staff member
It doesnt effect his eligibility to play for the Kangaroos down the track. Ricko played for Ireland, Sideshow played for USA :)lol:) during the last World Cup for example.

Yeah I think it's great that a talented player is looking to play for a minor nation. Yes, he can play for either NZ or Aust down the track, but this could do great things for Rugby League and Fiji in the meantime.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Gronk said:
It doesnt effect his eligibility to play for the Kangaroos down the track. Ricko played for Ireland, Sideshow played for USA :)lol:) during the last World Cup for example.

yeah! i knew that but still a great idea for the kid to put his hand up for them.

Utey

Coach
omg, players actually playing for their countries!

Jarryd really has his head screwed on right!

Eelementary

Post Whore
I hope he doesn't play for NZ or Australia. At least, not after playing for Fiji. But that's me.

I reckon it's brilliant that he's opting to help out his spiritual homeland.

Moggles

Juniors
Why don't they make a rule that when you pick your rep country you stick with it.
No wonder Australia kick bum and make it a no contest. As soon as a player gets good they take them from their original rep side.. That is not nurturing international football!

I say good on him for picking Fiji. Now all we need is a proper international calendar that will create oportunities for these countries to play and grow.

Utey

Coach
Perrymatta said:
I do, and NSW should.

The rules of eligibility state that Australians can only play Origin. TBH this is a big reason why the international game is so weak. Tweak the rules so if you play for your country whether it be NZ, Fiji etc you can still play origin.

Latest posts