What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne to the NFL!

Will Jarryd Hayyne make it in the NFL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
Seems it has legs, with all the papers confirming rumour.

Telecrap is saying that he's opting out from the 4 Nations to TRIAL for NFL.

Gronk

Staff member
Dear Blue and Gold Army,
For the past 24 months I’ve been thinking about having a crack in the NFL, and over the last 12 months I’ve been seriously considering it.
Today I can officially announce that I will be heading to the United States to pursue an opportunity to play American Football.
I will be withdrawing from the Kangaroos Four Nations side immediately, and accepting a conditional release from the Eels to make the move overseas.
The reason I didn’t make this decision any earlier was because of the part I played in getting Brad to the club and the way we finished the season. I felt I owed the Club one more year and I gave it everything I could.
It’s always been a dream of mine to play in the NFL, and at my age, this is my one and only chance at having a crack at playing there.
I’m excited about the potential opportunities that lie ahead. I’ve known the deadline has been looming for me to make this call, and I believe the right time is now.
I’m so passionate about the challenge that lies ahead for me, not only as an athlete but more so as a person. It’s the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life. I’m leaving my teammates, friends, and most importantly my family; but for me to grow as an athlete and a person I feel this is the right step to take.
It hasn’t been an easy decision for me to leave the Eels, the club’s been my home and family since I was 13, and I’ve always been proud to pull on the Blue and Gold jersey with my teammates.
The hardest thing about leaving the club is there’s stability for the first time in a long time, but I know where my heart lies and I’m following that.
I’m always telling people to chase their dreams and follow their hearts, if I don’t live by that I’m not being honest with myself.
I'm leaving knowing that I have signed a ‘lifetime agreement’ with the Eels, so if I return to the NRL, it will be to Parramatta.
I'm grateful to all of you for the support you've shown me at this club, thank you.
http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2014/10/15/hayne_announces_move_to_us.html

Delboy

First Grade
My thoughts are if the money is too good , then understood. How the heck is he going to learn in a short period of time, to run in pads and helmet, learn the intricacies of the game and make a real fist of it, given the level of competition for spots from the college system

Big risk, big rewards

Brad Arthur is in Fiji, same place as he was when he took the Eels coaching job, deja vu

Kornstar

Coach
Good on him, he could make more money and barely touch the field, I wish him well and will definitely start watching whatever team he goes to with interest.

eel01s

Bench
Trying to be positive: what happens if he isn't picked up by an NFL side? Does he come straight back? How does this leave us in relation to the salary cap if he goes and then wants to come back?

WOW.

Jodeci

Bench
My thoughts are if the money is too good , then understood. How the heck is he going to learn in a short period of time, to run in pads and helmet, learn the intricacies of the game and make a real fist of it, given the level of competition for spots from the college system

Big risk, big rewards

Brad Arthur is in Fiji, same place as he was when he took the Eels coaching job, deja vu

Not a big risk at all for Hayne.

He has the speed, strength, size to adapt.

He is an athlete.

Good on him I say.

Noise

Coach

Big risk, big rewards

Wasn't Arthur in Bali when he got the job?

I can handle this. As long as he isn't playing for the Dogs my life will go on

Snoochies

First Grade
Guess we have some space in the cap now.

Can't blame him, if they are genuinely interested in him good luck. The chance to earn big bucks and play in front of sold out crowds in something you love, why not have a crack, you only live once.

the_eel

Juniors
Being a superstar in League to having to start back at the bottom. Massive risk but good luck to him. Certainly puts the Eels back for next year.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So for NFl fans what are haynes chances of making it over there?

He is risking a lot by going.

Gronk

Staff member
It comes as a bit of a shock. We've kind of got all our eggs in the one basket here.

2015 looms and we have no marquee player. Izzy is under contract for 2015 IIRC.

Brett Stewart to play with Watmerkin ?

Forty20

First Grade
Even though the timing is disappointing - in both finding a suitable replacement and leaving when the club is finally on the rise - I honestly can't even get angry at him. Obviously he has been paid well in his time here but he has rejected numerous offers at key times in his career to keep wearing the blue and gold. Between shitty administration, coaching, injury and recruitment he has almost single handedly carried this club for far too long.

Bear in mind that it is a conditional release, so if the trials don't work out I imagine that he will be back at Parra in 2015.

Either way, best of luck Jarryd you magnificent merkin. Thanks for the amazing memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.