What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Cayless

I heard Dean Ritchie on 2KY this morning saying that Cayless will more than likely be released at the end of the season.

No real surpride there, he really has not lived up to his potential at all.

Direct

Juniors
I heard Dean Ritchie on 2KY this morning saying that Cayless will more than likely be released at the end of the season.

No real surpride there, he really has not lived up to his potential at all.

What potential? Seriously, the bloke used to be enormous. When he was signed I was estatic. When I actually saw him run out I was shocked, I thought the bloke had been through chemo or something.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Sad end if true, but unfortunately Cayless has not been able to perform at the required NRL level and he has not been able to recapture anything like his potential before injury.

NRL is a tough business with little, if any, sentiment - if he's not up to it, he has to be cut to free up salary and a NRL player slot.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
gee I wonder if we are just freeing up cash for a big purchase.

His wage will go straight to topping up Lawrence's contract.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
gee I wonder if we are just freeing up cash for a big purchase.

His wage will go straight to topping up Lawrence's contract.

I'd say topping up existing contracts would be more useful (if they deserve it), the only recruitment I wonder over is if Moltzen is given the heave ho because of Lui having preferecne for half and others players intended for fulback WT need a backup halfback.

I'm assuming / hoping Lima is coming to WT so with any luck we will have an prop to replace Cayless going.

Lawrence should be our number 1 priority.

Then a halfback and a prop.

Gibbs, Galloway, Payten, Fifita and Moors is a pretty good prop rotation.

Lui and Moltzen are also pretty good halfback options but we need a Prince, Kimmorley, Thurston style halfback.

Benji Magic

Juniors
At the start of the year I would have said go for Lima but now I'm not so sure. If Fifita and Moors continue to develop we will have a handy prop rotation for next year.

Our chances of getting a top notch halfback are almost Zero........none on the market.

We certainly need a goal kicker. If Michael Gordon is out of favour at Penrith then perhaps make a play for him. He wouldn't cost the earth, good speed and can cover Wing/FB.
We may also have the reality that Tuiaki may never come back. Even if he does will he have any pace? He might be in the forwards anyway.

At the start of the year I would have said go for Lima but now I'm not so sure. If Fifita and Moors continue to develop we will have a handy prop rotation for next year.

Our chances of getting a top notch halfback are almost Zero........none on the market.

We certainly need a goal kicker. If Michael Gordon is out of favour at Penrith then perhaps make a play for him. He wouldn't cost the earth, good speed and can cover Wing/FB.
We may also have the reality that Tuiaki may never come back. Even if he does will he have any pace? He might be in the forwards anyway.

This could almost be our number 1 priority.

andrew9148

Juniors
Tim says he wants to sign a marquee player each year. Ellis in 08, Tuqiri in 09. If one comes up, who knows. I think given the strenght of the squad, we are going to lose some players that we would ideally like to keep. You cant have two teams up the top of NSW Cup, one nr top of Toyota and the other charging up the ladder in NRL and keep everyone!

meltiger

First Grade
Maybe we should have a chat to Harvey Norman :p

In all seriousness, yes you are right, on the basis of how the lower grades are tracking alone, there is some serious talent at TC, Wests + Balmain that we are going to need to lose at some point.

On Gking, someone mentioned to me on Friday that young Meaney has a mean boot on him, for those who have been watching Balmain is he a first grade standard FB? Obviously hard to judge based on his very limited game time on Friday in woeful conditions

N.C.

Juniors
On Meaney - I liked how he got himself straight into the game as soon as he came on, even though that wasn't until the dying minutes... Hope Fitzy was watching.

Heard of bloke called Beau Henry?

macnaz

Staff member
We may not need another front rower if Tupou's recovery is succesful. : )

macnaz

Staff member
I heard a statement on the radio some weeks back that he wouldnt be retained at the club after this season, so i doubt he will be seen again.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I was so stoked when we signed him, then I saw him warming up for RD1. Poor guy, injuries have definately not been kind to him. In the modern competion you cant afford to keep players (unless they are potential superstars) & nurse them through injury in the hope they will capture previous form. Good luck to ya Jason, sorry it hasnt worked out.