What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Ryles - Head coach of Parramatta from 2025

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'm not behind the scenes and I don't have little birds. I'm not going to believe every little thing people say on the internet. There are some people who have a reputation for providing decent inside info that ends up being true, but even they get it wrong sometimes. I've heard stories about what he was like whilst at the club, but nothing about what he has done after being sacked.

Matty is not BA. He is 19 years old and can make his own decisions.

We had some pretty darn good seasons under BA. Could have been better. Could definitely have been worse. Sure, we got a spoon in 2018 which wa a shame. That sucked. We also made a GF in 2022, which was awesome.
So overall his tenure at the Eels was pretty avarage. Some good. Some bad.
You're acting like he was one of the worst coaches the NRL has seen. The 'excuses' are only a push back on this kind of hyperbole. No one here has ever said the BA is a great coach.
Pretty average tenure that got him 11 seasons, and a spoon to boot. Your words.

I rest my case, the stories about him have come thick and fast believe them or not I don’t care but to say I made them up just to make him look bad is laughable. Like he needs any help in that regards.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dogmatic means taking a position and refusing to change it regardless of the evidence contradicting said position.
I know what it means. Since my position is usually wait-and-see, I would only be dogmatic if I felt there was never enough information to make a call. The fact is I always end up with an opinion, but unlike most of you my opinion usually crystallises to blah-has-pros-and-cons-and-is-therefore-average. This is my opinion on Brad Arthur and the people running our club at the moment. My opinion on Ryles is that there’s not enough information to know whether he is going to be a good or bad coach. Most likely is that he’ll be average too. There’s a few good coaches and plenty of shit ones. The thing about the bad ones is that they don’t last 200 NRL games.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dogmatic sounds a lot like the back end Brad Arthur's coaching here.

He got to the point where he just refused to change regardless of the 10-11 years of evidence that was put in front of him his Plan A wasn't going to win a comp.
Our game changed significantly over the years. In fact our changes after 2022, playing higher risk footy, caused his downfall. Silly Arthur’s. Stick to what works ffs

EelsFan05

Bench
Well he didn’t go there for f**ken work! He came back to Sydney for work. Ergo, he went to the Gold Coast for his family, whom he has publicly stated he wanted to put first for a change. Anyway it looks like he got bored putting those merkins first and now he’s back in the game.

Plenty of the stories about him are good, coming from the people who know him. The club kept him on for 11 years, his players love him, and his new club was keen to keep him as well. And you reckon he’s a piece of shit no merkin wants to work with? Where’s your f**ken SoUrCe?!?!?
I've got no doubt the players love/d him. My observation was that he gave them too much rope and was more mate then mentor. A staunch defender of mediocre performances, until this season, when the writing was on the wall.

And, because the players had so much control, it's possible that he was retained as coach for fear of losing certain players. Just an assumption though.

I don't think people will argue that he did an 'ok' or 'decent' job. Most people are upset that a premiership winning squad/window was missed. For various reasons, including a coach that couldn't get his team to play consistently, defend competently or eventually get the club to a premiership.

I know what it means. Since my position is usually wait-and-see, I would only be dogmatic if I felt there was never enough information to make a call. The fact is I always end up with an opinion, but unlike most of you my opinion usually crystallises to blah-has-pros-and-cons-and-is-therefore-average. This is my opinion on Brad Arthur and the people running our club at the moment. My opinion on Ryles is that there’s not enough information to know whether he is going to be a good or bad coach. Most likely is that he’ll be average too. There’s a few good coaches and plenty of shit ones. The thing about the bad ones is that they don’t last 200 NRL games.
And ultimately - despite what you appear to tell yourself - your opinion on anything is no better than any other random merkin footy fan.

Abe Vigoda Conan25 GIF by Team Coco

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I've got no doubt the players love/d him. My observation was that he gave them too much rope and was more mate then mentor. A staunch defender of mediocre performances, until this season, when the writing was on the wall.

And, because the players had so much control, it's possible that he was retained as coach for fear of losing certain players. Just an assumption though.

I don't think people will argue that he did an 'ok' or 'decent' job. Most people are upset that a premiership winning squad/window was missed. For various reasons, including a coach that couldn't get his team to play consistently, defend competently or eventually get the club to a premiership.
He won as many premierships as Wayne Bennett did in the same time period. Food for thought.

I’d love some evidence that the squad should’ve won a premiership during that period, if only they weren’t held back by coaching. It sounds like you’re making excuses for them. Merkins haven’t stopped whinging about MON’s inability to build a squad but suddenly it’s great and would’ve won a premiership under a decent coach.

T.S Quint

Coach

I'm not convinced it was a "Premiership-winning squad" during that time.
It was a good squad, one of the better ones. But there were better squads than ours in that period (Penrith, Melbourne, Roosters) that would probably have won no matter who our coach was.

Of course there is a chance we may have won. We will never know. It's all hypotheticals. Just as if I was to say we would have missed the Finals every year with a different coach. Chances are it wouldn't have happened, but you never know.

JokerEel

Coach
Anyhow just over a month and we get to see the squad return to pre pre season training let's see how things change after the BA era. It was a fun 11 seasons of ups and downs!

Positives that we have resigned some of our juniors in positions we are light on..

T.S Quint

Coach
Anyhow just over a month and we get to see the squad return to pre pre season training let's see how things change after the BA era. It was a fun 11 seasons of ups and downs!

Positives that we have resigned some of our juniors in positions we are light on..

Best preseason EVAAAAAAA!!!!

Latest posts