What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Ryles - Head coach of Parramatta from 2025

Gronk

Staff member
They got their first taste of the POs with blaize. And I tell yah it would have been sour. It's only going to get more sour as the circus continues over text three offseasons
Blaize was off contract Nov 2023. He and his manager elected to wait until he had played FG and shop around. Let his game do the talking etc.

The fact that he had a fall back option if he had no offers or got injured really had zero bearing on him leaving. It was more about us vying for the spoon and a too-good-to-be-true offer from the 3 peat premiers.

The option thing is being used as a baseball bat by some, however in his case, it means zip.

If I am reading this wrong, then let me know.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Blaize was off contract Nov 2023. He and his manager elected to wait until he had played FG and shop around. Let his game do the talking etc.

The fact that he had a fall back option if he had no offers or got injured really had zero bearing on him leaving. It was more about us vying for the spoon and a too-good-to-be-true offer from the 3 peat premiers.

The option thing is being used as a baseball bat by some, however in his case, it means zip.

I wonder if the alternatives to a PO are more diverse than just "no contract".

Of course you'd know that to be true. It is facile to suggest the only alternative to a PO is the player being off contract. Ridiculous!

Club management may see things in similar light, which may be why they have indicated they will head in other directions in the future?

It's OK to say we (the club) got it wrong. It is the only way to improve. Failure to self-assess will inevitably result in making the same mistakes all over again.

That is a double edged sword though, and personally I find it worth reflecting on from my own point of view. I can't personally influence the clubs contracting methodology, but what can I do?

TheRam

Coach
What about Talagi reminds you of Hayne, may I ask?

Talagi clearly has talent, but Hayne played First Grade at 18, and Origin at 19.

Hayne was faster, stronger, more skilful...

I think Talagi is a real prospect, but I don't see the comparisons.

I don't see it at all. The guy can't even catch a freakin ball ffs! And don't start me on his shirt grabbing defence.

Talagi needs a great team to look good and is why he is spearing off to the Panthers. Hayne was the great team.

Gronk

Staff member
I wonder if the alternatives to a PO are more diverse than just "no contract".

Of course you'd know that to be true. It is facile to suggest the only alternative to a PO is the player being off contract. Ridiculous!

I'm confused. How could have the club avoided the outcome of Blaize signing for Penrith and how did the player having a PO have a significant (or any) impact on this ?

A fixed term contract has an option to leave.
A fixed term contract with a PO has an option to leave and an option to stay.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I'm confused. How could have the club avoided the outcome of Blaize signing for Penrith and how did the player having a PO have a significant (or any) impact on this ?
Well i wouldn't given him the Player option in the first place for 2025.

If he left at end of 2024 because he didn't have or agree to a contract in 2025 then so be it just like Ethan Sanders.

If that was the demand from a player who yet to play a FG game and wanted an Option in his contract already when this was signed what 18 months. It would have been pretty clear he wasn't invested in the club.

Instead we look like even more royally stupid giving him the leverage and power anyway.

Gronk

Staff member

If he left at end of 2024 because he didn't have or agree to a contract in 2025 then so be it just like Ethan Sanders.

If that was the demand from a player who yet to play a FG game and wanted an Option in his contract already when this was signed what 18 months. It would have been pretty clear he wasn't invested in the club.

Instead we look like even more royally stupid giving him the leverage and power anyway.
That makes no sense.

What leverage and power did he have ?

yy_cheng

Coach

The PO is to get him to stay prior to 2025. Not for 2025.

If you had offered him a contract say in 2022 that ended in 2024, he might not have stayed back then and went somewhere else.

The PO is to say look, if you stay for 20222-2024 you get to choose for 2025. It's not for 2025 it is like a bonus or sweetener.

If we really wanted him, we should've made him a better offer in 2023 or early 2024.

So Gronkie is right in my mind.

Mutual Options aren't too bad for mine as you can get that player cheap and stick him in reggies as backup. But we wanted that player during his prime.

EelEtric

Juniors
The PO is to get him to stay prior to 2025. Not for 2025.

If you had offered him a contract say in 2022 that ended in 2024, he might not have stayed back then and went somewhere else.

The PO is to say look, if you stay for 20222-2024 you get to choose for 2025. It's not for 2025 it is like a bonus or sweetener.

If we really wanted him, we should've made him a better offer in 2023 or early 2024.

So Gronkie is right in my mind.

Mutual Options aren't too bad for mine as you can get that player cheap and stick him in reggies as backup. But we wanted that player during his prime.
We made him an offer in November 2023 for 2025/26 for what I was told was close to $400k... before he played FG.

The Predictor

Juniors
T
the fact he had the option was the risk. You gave a 18 year old kid all the power and his manager took it.

im telling yah now, you wont see anymore of these POs coming out of the club. And if we do i then i am completely wrong.
They were obviously comfortable thinking he would stay…..only parramatta

The Predictor

Juniors
I'm just not going to keep going around in circles.

For the last time, it's not about the option, it's about when the player can take up the option. Round 11 was the case for Blaize so I am running off that for all our players.

How can we make decisions on re signing guys like RCG, Joe O, Hopgood etc when we have no idea on the status of players like Matterson and Lane?? How do we go to market for an outside back with no clarity around Penisini and Sivo???

Pre season training started this year on Nov 6, that's a week into free agency. You already got Penisini saying he isn't in a rush to make a decision. I'm sure Dylan, lane, sivo, matto are all thinking the same way. How much cap does that represent?? 2.5 million?

How is this good management from the club???
Don’t waste ur breath on this imbecile, there is no stopping this lunatic

Gherkin

Juniors
I think Blaize will kick on at Penrith. People are forgetting he's only 19 and only played 1st grade this year because we have terrible depth and a heap of injuries. Apparently his brother can play as well. Will end up being a big loss for the club.
Wouldn't be as big a deal if we had someone in the juniors this year to replace him next year but I don't think we do.

JokerEel

Coach
I think Blaize will kick on at Penrith. People are forgetting he's only 19 and only played 1st grade this year because we have terrible depth and a heap of injuries. Apparently his brother can play as well. Will end up being a big loss for the club.
Wouldn't be as big a deal if we had someone in the juniors this year to replace him next year but I don't think we do.

Replacing him is easy as we have Lomax coming next year who I assume will now be the centre.

yy_cheng

Coach
We made him an offer in November 2023 for 2025/26 for what I was told was close to $400k... before he played FG.
Then we did the right thing contract wise and he probably was gonna test the market anyway.

I guess we shouldn't have played him in nrl until he extended as other teams might not have been that interested if he was still in reggies

We went about saying he was the saviour the future when he hadn't even signed. We added to his market value by advertising that

Pazza

First Grade

We got pumped and dumped.

Should have told him he's not blue and gold material back in 2023

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I rate him highly but reckon he will struggle for a while as they have signed him as a half.

Yeah fullback is an important position where we were going to play him, but there wasn't any pressure for him to go there straight away. He was going to be eased into it.

At the panthers he will most likely be starting at 5/8 straight away. Has the pay check to match! That's a lot of pressure! He will be responsible for one edge. Not a lot of opportunity to be eased in. Does he have a kicking game? Will his defence hold up? Will he handle the extra pressure?Etc etc. yeah he will have a few good moments, but a few poor moments and pressure will build massively.

I don't see it as an easy pathway/few years for him. Drown (similar players) took a while and is still learning, he was a better half in juniors. He wouId have been better getting experience with us with a lot less pressure.

oldmancraigy

Coach

How many potential options are there at the time of offering a contract to verify signed?
(More than 2. But you know that better tham me! Don't be difficult)

The only options are not 1 year. Or 1 year + 1PO

It is the generalised beef with POs being handed out. I appreciate they are occasionally useful to entice a marquee player to join/ stay because it gives them the option to bet on themselves in future years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As will almost anyone aged under 30 under a player option, in a growth/expansion market.

Hence the point that POs are useless, in that they don't bring down the contract values in any way like you're unsuccessfully trying to assert or argue as a benefit.
It is a fact of commerce that nothing is free, and that includes contract options.

Latest posts