What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jayden Sullivan

rasaint

Juniors
Anyone who makes it to playing NRL deserves praise.

Bud Sullivan showed some nice touches on occasion when playing for us. He has scored NRL trys. I just don’t think he is at that above average NRL level for key positions somewhere in the spine.

since77

Juniors
I feel a bit for Bud. Came into grade under a complete idiot for a coach. Obviously his manager is a bit of a tool too. And seriously, signing for the Tigers is career suicide for many players.
Would have been smarter taking less money somewhere else with a good system and a coach who isn’t on his L plates.

TheRev

First Grade
I think any halfback in a losing team.. particularly a bottom rung team like tigers, dogs or us if we start losing.. is going to look ordinary and will cop a lot of s***, so I dont think its necessary to put the boot in based on the tigers performance at all... Hunt or KFlan im sure would look awful in that team too.

Buds issue is more his personality, fitness and general impatience, things that Flanno could have really helped him with.. and he'd be so much better and more versatile as a 14 than Mulheissen for us... Bud has the skillset, he just needs some maturity and focus and luck with injuries...

Bud may still come good yet at the Tiges though.. I was thinking about 2025.. Sezer probably is moved on, Galvin has a big body and may end up in another position yet.. Finau is still young.. Bud might still have a window.. but he has to come good in 2024 first... and its a 4yr contract he has.. its massive.

I think any halfback in a losing team.. particularly a bottom rung team like tigers, dogs or us if we start losing.. is going to look ordinary and will cop a lot of s***, so I dont think its necessary to put the boot in based on the tigers performance at all... Hunt or KFlan im sure would look awful in that team too.

Buds issue is more his personality, fitness and general impatience, things that Flanno could have really helped him with.. and he'd be so much better and more versatile as a 14 than Mulheissen for us... Bud has the skillset, he just needs some maturity and focus and luck with injuries...

Bud may still come good yet at the Tiges though.. I was thinking about 2025.. Sezer probably is moved on, Galvin has a big body and may end up in another position yet.. Finau is still young.. Bud might still have a window.. but he has to come good in 2024 first... and its a 4yr contract he has.. its massive.
I agree that it is very difficult for the halves if their team is being dominated. The only half who really played well and looked good in a poor side last year was DCE, who had an amazing year and kept Manly in games they had no business being in.

Bud's main issue is his defence. He has to make that a priority. If he improves his defence, he will be a very good NRL half.

As was the case here, he’s just not nrl standard. Hasn’t made the leap from Flegg to NRL. Likely ESL candidate down the line
He's only 22 years old. Nicho Hynes didn't play NRL till he was 23. Cody Walker was 26. Remember that the Dogs let JT go when he was young.
His best games are already good enough. He just needs to to be OK rather than poor in his worst games. It will take a while.

steerlerbab

Juniors
I do not think Bud would have saved us from 38-0 trashing yesterday. Remember he wanted out. Asked for release twice. The club refused first time but granted second time. So let's not fantasize about him in our team. Coaches like Bennett are very good at seeing weaknesses and exploiting them. He worked it out very quickly against Hunt/Flanno combo. Maybe time for Flanno to try Marshke/Hunt and Flanno Jnr moves to bench or come in 14. Liddle seemed very ineffective yesterday. I also think Leilua and M Molo were very ineffective. Maybe Couchman, BMM or Sele if fit should be considered

final say

Juniors
Benji's job is to coach the players.. I didn't see a team prepared for NRL and it took 60 minutes for him to blame the players for that.
The only thing Benji could do was skilful ( probably the most skilful ever) - couldn't defend, couldn't read the game and now he's a coach...

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Imagine if we get him back with the tigers chipping in for his contract then he can be the ultimate 14 or if Flanno backs him in a long term no.7. I would push hard for the tigers young halves, Galvin & Latu Finau too. Force the tigers to either pay way overs for them or nab one of them.

Tigers have luai incoming next year so they can only play one of Galvin/Latu/Sullivan with him. I'd be pushing hard for Galvin.

Parko1310

Juniors
Imagine if we get him back with the tigers chipping in for his contract then he can be the ultimate 14 or if Flanno backs him in a long term no.7. I would push hard for the tigers young halves, Galvin & Latu Finau too. Force the tigers to either pay way overs for them or nab one of them.

Tigers have luai incoming next year so they can only play one of Galvin/Latu/Sullivan with him. I'd be pushing hard for Galvin.
I'd be pushing hard for Pezet too. Luke Metcalf is off the market now. I'd go after Pezet now (for 2025) and look to bring in Galvin once Hunt retires. Go for Toby Sexton for 2025 as a back up half and move Kyle to hooker off the bench or in reserve grade as was originally planned. Ideally reserve grade, with another external hooker being signed for next year. Then suddenly the halves and hooker depth look good and we have long term solutions. Probably a pipe dream, but I don't think landing Pezet and Sexton is totally unrealistic

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I'd be pushing hard for Pezet too. Luke Metcalf is off the market now. I'd go after Pezet now (for 2025) and look to bring in Galvin once Hunt retires. Go for Toby Sexton for 2025 as a back up half and move Kyle to hooker off the bench or in reserve grade as was originally planned. Ideally reserve grade, with another external hooker being signed for next year. Then suddenly the halves and hooker depth look good and we have long term solutions. Probably a pipe dream, but I don't think landing Pezet and Sexton is totally unrealistic

Both should be realistic tbh & they would be great signings. Imo sexton can have a jamal fogerty like career & Pezet could be anything. Pezet is off-contract at the end of 2025 & Sexton 2024. I'd even swap Sexton for a BMM since the dogs are looking for forwards.

TheRev

First Grade
Pezet will be locked up well before November.. we wont get a hint of a sniff..

As for Bud, I reckon the Tigers will want him there for all of 2024, even if it was off the bench, he is injury cover if nothing else.. they would be thin without him... 2025 is another story when they have Luai and Fainu/Galvin are a year older...

Edit: What about Ilias?

Parko1310

Juniors
Pezet will be locked up well before November.. we wont get a hint of a sniff..

As for Bud, I reckon the Tigers will want him there for all of 2024, even if it was off the bench, he is injury cover if nothing else.. they would be thin without him... 2025 is another story when they have Luai and Fainu/Galvin are a year older...

Edit: What about Ilias?
I've watched a bit of Ilias play. I'd rather bring Josh McCrone back