What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News JDB Trial

Knight76

Juniors
Geez, pretty ordinary by the Jurors.

You would hope they could have come to a decision one way or the other.

Drags this out again for another trial from scratch.

A joke really.

Exsilium

First Grade
From reading the articles, specifically the judge's comments, it appears they are fully aware the ramifications to both parties should the matter be sent to another trial.

JDB loses another season, ramifications on his financial position, future earnings and career in general.

For the accuser, this gets played out in the media and it's another year of rinsing and repeating what they already know.

For mine, a hung jury isn't an answer but it is a result if both parties in the sense they can get on with their lives. Im not saying its ideal as it has futher implications on both parties but it isn't played out in the media and courts.

Question for the legal eagles, say they jury cannot reach a verdict, can JDBs legal team mediate with the accuser and their legal team for the sake of closure? or is the DPP going to push for a charge/result?

And lastly, would there be a little pressure on the DPP to get a result given they botched the Curtis Scott case? Another footballer clearing their name could shine a light on not just the facts of the case but the processes undertaken by the Police to date.

A joke really.

Ive got a different view. That there’s a hung jury is no doubt a disappointing outcome but...

That jurors have seemingly been adament in their views, rather than being “persuaded” to flip to get a unanimous result either way, is a much fairer result. The alternative is any number of jurors backing down from their convictions and beliefs as to guilt or innocence - which has a drastic result either way, especially for the accused if it went against him - jail etc...

We’re not privvy to the full evidence, the vote numbers, or arguments within the jury either say so can’t consider anything untoward in this process. Anything otherwise is pure assumption.

No doubt everyone wants a conclusion as quickly as possible. But putting the football out of the equation as we must - these are peoples lives hanging off a verdict. And id be absolutely filthy if I was either party and a verdict was reached against me (the complainant or the accused) as a result of jurors backing down from their beliefs of innocence or guilt to get “a result”.

There are no winners in this apart from perhaps the lawyers and media. It’s genuinely disappointing that after 2 years there’s still no affirmed verdict of what happened that night - and that a guys career (and life) is on hold throughout, and could be for much longer. But that’s the process.

The_Frog

First Grade
Every one of them came to a decision old mate, its just that they didn't all come to the same decision.

And lastly, would there be a little pressure on the DPP to get a result given they botched the Curtis Scott case?
Absolutely no connection, except that they are both NRL players. Almost certainly not even the same people made the decision to go ahead with it, given the far greater gravity of this matter and the fact it occurred in a different district. If anything the DPP are vindicated by it being a hung jury, it means there was a reasonable likelihood of a conviction.

Last edited:

Tiger Shark

Bench

A joke really.

That's an interesting take, couldn't disagree more.

If a juror has from the evidence presented form a particular opinion and steadfast on it they shouldn't be changing their mind just to get a result.

T-Boon

Coach
They gibber on about "open justice" - so why is the jury count private. We should hear it.
If its 10-2 in favor of NG I want to know why my tax payers money in being wasted on another round.

T-Boon

Coach
Is there really a need for the NFSD? Adam Johnson played in the premier league right up until he was sent to prison for child sex offences. Not a good look for the sport afterwards but if one of the biggest sporting leagues in the world doesn't feel the need for such a policy why does the NRL?

Unfortunately RL has a well earned terrible reputation with women/mothers (how dangerous the game is, how dumb the players sound, thugs, how disrespectful they are...etc) that no other sport has especially soccer which has the whole "soccer mum" thing going for it.
NRL needs to keep this policy as I see it.

Walpole

Juniors
They gibber on about "open justice" - so why is the jury count private. We should hear it.
If its 10-2 in favor of NG I want to know why my tax payers money in being wasted on another round.
What if it's 10-2 for guilty?

The_Frog

First Grade
Game on. Lets go.
My point is what's the big secret?
Durrrrh. It might prejudice the retrial. This is not an Origin series you know. There are no "psychological advantages" in this rematch.

What if it's 10-2 for guilty?

If it had been 10-2 either way there would have been a chance of reaching a verdict with further deliberation. But there wasn't so chances are it was closer than that.

Knight76

Juniors
The Jury is there to come up with an outcome, not turn in a verdict of no verdict.

ID like to see the count also.

What if the next jury does the same thing?

nick87

Coach
Just a shit situation all around (which rape cases pretty much always are). Not much else to say as we don't really know all the details.

This is my feelings too, either an innocent man or a victim of heinous crime is going to be forced to live this nightmare for another what? 6 months? year? 18 months? who knows...

Miserable no matter where true justice lies.

T-Boon

Coach
This is my feelings too, either an innocent man or a victim of heinous crime is going to be forced to live this nightmare for another what? 6 months? year? 18 months? who knows...

Miserable no matter where true justice lies.

I agree and so with that being said as a society we should be able to talk about how to reduce/avoid this kind of thing (like suggesting to women not to go home from night clubs with strangers AND men why even bother going to night clubs) without that kind of talk getting thrown in the "victim blaming" bin.

The_Frog

First Grade
Haha. Like what part of this media circus hasn't already done that from the day a famous person gets charged.
The media have been pretty good on this case. They do repeat ad nauseum what they see as important, but they've pretty well stuck to the facts, rather than opinions. Unlike the Pell matter that really should never have gone before a jury.

The_Frog

First Grade
I agree and so with that being said as a society we should be able to talk about how to reduce/avoid this kind of thing (like suggesting to women not to go home from night clubs with strangers AND men why even bother going to night clubs) without that kind of talk getting thrown in the "victim blaming" bin.
Her story was that they told her they were going to another night club.