What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeremy Smith for captain?

I can see merit in both Smith and Creagh for captain, but surely Benny Hornby has earned first crack at it.

If I were Hornby I'd be shattered if I was passed over for a noobie, given he was in Brown's "leadership group" last season.

It would also be a just reward for his loyalty and dedication to the club over many years.

Cagey Mac

Bench
When you think of the pack next year we're talking big and tough
Frank
Weyman
Hunt
Smith
Costigan
Creagh
Young
Priddis
Prior
Thorby
Ranieri
There's a lot of big men and I dare say a lot of attitude
Bennett's ability to get big men, relentlessly rolling downfield means IMO that's where the action is going to be. With all due respect to Benny Hornby's class as a player and a bloke, I think in what is a really needed in what is a very new team with what will be a new playing style, is a leader from the front. Someone who, by his actions, lifts the team's commitment and levels of courage. Make's them dig deep and take on the line harder and makes them tougher in defense. Benny's tactical guidance from the halves IMO will be useful with Nighty at the back but his ability to impose his will in such a team may not be all that is necessary

KHunt

Juniors
I'm wondering why no ones mentioned Matt Cooper as a possibility?

Unless there is something I dont know.., why can't he be captain? I just think he's been loyal to the Dragons his whole career (since 2000), he's an Illawarra person and looks set to play at the Dragons for the rest of his career. He's one of me favourite players Cooper. The bloke doesn't get enough recognition because he's played under Gasnier his whole career.

I cant believe NSW were going to give Gasnier the captaincy next year, just because his last name's Gasnier. Give it to someone like Cooper who was pretty much NSW's best player this year.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
its not about loyalty, if his got a mouth and uses it then yes why not, but i never see coops talking much

Dragon

Coach
ben hornby back to fullback and let someone with real leadership run it

Agreed. The only talking Hornby does on the field is when he is blowing up deluxe at his mates. Frankly i dont think Bennett will have a bar of that.

Smith/Creagh - either one would do well. I also think Priddis would lead the side well.

watatank

Coach
I'm wondering why no ones mentioned Matt Cooper as a possibility?

Unless there is something I dont know.., why can't he be captain? I just think he's been loyal to the Dragons his whole career (since 2000), he's an Illawarra person and looks set to play at the Dragons for the rest of his career. He's one of me favourite players Cooper. The bloke doesn't get enough recognition because he's played under Gasnier his whole career.

I cant believe NSW were going to give Gasnier the captaincy next year, just because his last name's Gasnier. Give it to someone like Cooper who was pretty much NSW's best player this year.

I don't think his ability to lift the team on a whole is as good as others. He is good at lifting the players to his immediate left and right but I don't think that's enough.

SuperSoward

Juniors
Young, Creagh or Hornby should be captain. IMO Hornby should. He's experienced and talks a lot. He has done it before as well.

Godz Illa

Coach
Intriguing quote from St Wayne in the press conference today (link to the whole thing on the club website)

Q: You’ve gotta be happy with Jeremy Smith’s form?

A: Yeah I’m elated with Jeremy Smith actually, not only his form but what he also brings. He’s a bit more than a football player, he brings a real attitude to everything that he does, and I think he’s a great buy for this club.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Let's hope Justin Poore doesn't hold a grudge or Jezza might not make it through pre season training without breaking his neck.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Intriguing quote from St Wayne in the press conference today (link to the whole thing on the club website)

Q: You’ve gotta be happy with Jeremy Smith’s form?

A: Yeah I’m elated with Jeremy Smith actually, not only his form but what he also brings. He’s a bit more than a football player, he brings a real attitude to everything that he does, and I think he’s a great buy for this club.
Massive Buy
icon14.gif

EagleDragon

Juniors
ben hornby was is said to be the captain but,
with mathew head and jaime soward u would think ben hornby would be a bench player..