What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeremy Smith or Newton?

philstorm

Juniors
Looks like we can only keep one.

If Smith stays, Newton goes to England.

If Smith goes to St George, Newton stays.

It's like picking who's your favourite kid!

Hard decision, but which one would you keep?

Personally, i'd go Newton by a bees d**k.

freeridermx

Juniors
not sure before last night it was smith by a country mile but newton had a great game last night probs his best ever . but smith would still be cheaping and i like the way he plays so i still think i go for smith

Misanthrope

Staff member
Send the turncoat to England and keep Smith. Newton only plays well when the odds are on his side. Heaven forbid the Storm lose two games in a row next year - he'll go AWOL

Matt23

Staff member
Newton also plays well when it's contract renewal year...which funnily enough Storm fans is this year.

philstorm

Juniors
So how come Newcastle let him go when it came to contract renewal time if he was playing so well?

Matt23

Staff member
The Knights weren't prepared to pay overs for him this time.

Cloud9

I go for Smith. He was pretty good against Parra, added some mongrel off the bench when the match became an arm wrestle.

I dunno, depends who will improve most over the next couple of years and will best fit the type of team Bellamy wants.

Lucas

Juniors
Smith is a lot older than people probably think, he's 28 next year. Newton is 27. So we'd get more years out of Newton, and IMO he is a better player anyway.

I really like Smith, but I reckon this one is a no-brainer.

philstorm

Juniors
Not sure if it's a 'no-brainer', lucas - but it's a toughie.

I'd hate to see one of our PREMIERSHIP STARS (boy, it feels good to say that), go over to the Dragons.

Wouldn't mind if he went to Canberra, though ...

Noa

First Grade
If Smith is half the cost of Newton of you keep Jeremy but JS will be up for a big pay-increase next contract and if the salaries are similar Id keep Newton.

Newtons a better ball runner and his defence and toughness are very under-rated in comparison to JS who is a tough SOB.

Stormboyz

Juniors
Tough call, but I reckon Smith will go to the Dragons and Newton stays. That's what I reckon will happen. What I want to happen is another story.

Taniwha

Juniors
Newton was on the ropes after Newcastle i can't see why he'd cost so much to hold onto. Smith is a much better player, both have the same style but Clint doesn't offer as much i reckon. At the moment theres 3+ clubs wanting Smiths signature, and only ESL wanting Newtons. You do the maths.

Is Newton really a big $$$ player, f**k surely he'd be on a $100k a year anywhere else besides the knights where we paid big overs for many a year.

Plus as well he had a tremendous year on 05, but as with before he has done nothing since besides plenty of dropped balls.

Smith has a 100% more class then Newton.

In all seriousness storm fans watch his 04-06-07 efforts for us and the real Clint Newton will stand up!

Butters

Bench
Jeremy Smith, i like that he can play Centre/Backrow/Prop. Not to many players can do that.

And i hate how Newton just walked into the run on side, taking Smiths deserved spot IMO.

LESStar58

Referee
Jeremy Smith for mine but for mine Newton has made an outstanding contribution to Storm in the back end of the year.

There is also the issue of Crocker's contract in 2009 and if he plays on.

Newton over Smith...has more potential to play a full 80 mins if necessary which would assist Bellamy in determining his bench.

Latest posts