What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Yep, I clearly remember Steve Walters playing for Newcastle in 1999. It was his last season in the NRL, and slowly made way for Danny Buderus to take over.
I remember the NRL Double-Header that kicked off the season at the new Stadium Australia. It was the first event at the Olympic stadium and included Newcastle vs Manly (Newcastle won) and Parra vs the newly-merged St.George-Illawarra (I don't recall who won that one) in front of 104,583 people. When the teams ran out, it looked so weird to see Walters in the red-and-blue of Newcastle.
The Knights' socks that year were half black (possibly as a way of slowly introducing black in as a sort of '3rd' but unofficial colour ... basically for marketing purposes), but that only lasted that one year. Like me at the time, I guess not too many people were keen on it!

Yeah the Dragons lost that one - I remember watching on TV though - it was absolutely a milestone moment as a crowd of 100,000 or so was there for a round 1 club game in a brand new stadium for the olympics... Epic to watch - must have been awesome at the ground though.

Do I recall right that this was Luke Burt's debut game for Parra and he scored a try?

beave

Coach
Yeah the Dragons lost that one - I remember watching on TV though - it was absolutely a milestone moment as a crowd of 100,000 or so was there for a round 1 club game in a brand new stadium for the olympics... Epic to watch - must have been awesome at the ground though.

Do I recall right that this was Luke Burt's debut game for Parra and he scored a try?

Yeah, it was Burts first game.

There was 100k there over the whole arvo/evening but not at once. I had seats in the lower nthn end and the view was f**king atrocious. Nothing different to now other than the running track existed as well as those huge wings at each end.

There was 100k there over the whole arvo/evening but not at once. I had seats in the lower nthn end and the view was f**king atrocious. Nothing different to now other than the running track existed as well as those huge wings at each end.

Yeah gotchya. The company I worked for at the time did construction work for the stadium build and surrounds. It was an awesome time with the olympics upcoming and then that first game.

I was at the 99GF and it was full - I was up on the Southern Wing about 5 rows from the top. While far away - the view was actually awesome up there.A result I prefer to forget but to have that many in a stadium (when we'd been used to a max 40-odd thousand at the SFS) was impressive.

Real shame that it's now a much-maligned stadium needing an extreme overhaul. Anyway...

axl rose

Bench

I was way up in the nose bleeds, I think we paid 10 bucks for our seats. The players were like ants. So yeah the place never improved much. Great atmosphere though with the wave going around. The noise was deafening.

Reflector

Juniors
I was way up in the nose bleeds, I think we paid 10 bucks for our seats. The players were like ants. So yeah the place never improved much. Great atmosphere though with the wave going around. The noise was deafening.

Those seats and old mate and I used to call 'The ARL 96 Seats'- because the view you got from them was about the same as the view you got playing the game. Saving grace was you didn't get Fatty popping up every 2 minutes with his lame commentary:

9GJnDo3.jpg

axl rose

Bench
Those seats and old mate and I used to call 'The ARL 96 Seats'- because the view you got from them was about the same as the view you got playing the game. Saving grace was you didn't get Fatty popping up every 2 minutes with his lame commentary:

9GJnDo3.jpg
haha Fatty would pop up and tell you to get both hands on the joystick. There was only one tacking technique in that game which was a Melbourne style jiu-jitsu sweep of the legs. Worth at least 1 dollar in fatty cash.

l_1997%20fatty%20cards%20specials%20201704280029_.jpg

ODC

Juniors
View attachment 23205 absolute gold! I could not wait to get home from school to play this. Yes there were many Rabs glitches on ARL 96. Sometimes he would get excited and say something unrelated to what was happening in the
View attachment 23205 absolute gold! I could not wait to get home from school to play this. Yes there were many Rabs glitches on ARL 96. Sometimes he would get excited and say something unrelated to what was happening in the game...well maybe not so unrealistic
https://classicreload.com/amiga-et-rugby-league.html

Thank me later

Latest posts