What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not seen that before! Was that prior to the Reds decision in 1993?

It's what the Western Reds were initially called but the NSWRL decided that their brand and in particular name was too similar to the Penrith Panthers and to a lesser extent the Tigers as well so they made them come up with a new brand and they settled on the Western Reds.

steeden.

Juniors
It's what the Western Reds were initially called but the NSWRL decided that their brand and in particular name was too similar to the Penrith Panthers and to a lesser extent the Tigers as well so they made them come up with a new brand and they settled on the Western Reds.
To think we could’ve had a competition made up of:
- Adelaide Aces
- Brisbane Broncos
- Melbourne Mavericks
- Penrith Panthers
- Perth Pumas

... actually not too diff to Brisbane with Broncos, Bulls, Bullets, Bandits, Bears (not anymore)

yakstorm

First Grade
It is interesting to see some of the names Super League registered for the clubs through IP Australia during the war period.

Wonder if they were ever serious considerations as alternative names:
  • Brisbane Brumbies
  • Canberra Vikings
  • Canberra Bushrangers
  • Cronulla Great Whites
  • Cronulla Dolphins
  • Penrith Cats
  • Canterbury Dogs
  • North Queensland Ringers
  • Sydney Dingos
  • Perth Roos
  • Auckland Kiwis
  • Auckland Aces
  • Auckland Braves
  • Auckland Islanders

The Great Dane

First Grade
It is interesting to see some of the names Super League registered for the clubs through IP Australia during the war period.

• Brisbane Brumbies
  • Canberra Vikings
  • Canberra Bushrangers
  • Cronulla Great Whites
  • Cronulla Dolphins
  • Penrith Cats
  • Canterbury Dogs
  • North Queensland Ringers
  • Sydney Dingos
  • Perth Roos
  • Auckland Kiwis
  • Auckland Aces
  • Auckland Braves
  • Auckland Islanders

Can't speak for the other clubs but in Canberra's case they definitely were seriously considered for at least a little while as a contingency for if they couldn't get the Raiders name back from the ARL.

BTW I remember there being other potential new names for the Raiders being chucked around at the time as well, but maybe they were just ones that fans had come up with.

steeden.

Juniors
  • Brisbane Brumbies

Brisbane Brumbies gets a mention in Jack Galloway’s book ‘Brisbane Broncos: The Team
To Beat’ as one of the proposed names before they settled on Broncos, but there was concern that it could be abbreviated to Brissie Brums

Nuke

Staff member
Found this while googling, I had 2000 of these flags made up and given out at an NRL game at NIB back in 2012! We had a cool Red Army logo for the supporters club if we had got a team!

View attachment 24248
Aww, I'd forgotten about that ... and I designed it! (the WA Red Army logo)
I never got a flag, but I bought a cap, which I still have ... somewhere!

gzerounian

Juniors
On the topic of trademarking and registering logos...I find this to be hilarious:

American Airlines has repeatedly tried, and failed, to get copyright protection for it — because the United States Copyright Office reckons it’s too boring to protect under copyright law.
In the office’s words, the logo simply looks like an “elongated rectangle” with an “exceedingly common” colour palette of red, white and blue, and lacks sufficient “original and creative” authorship to warrant copyright protection.

Source:
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...y/news-story/6396d6cbec8d23bf9963d3fad998ab8c

This is the logo:
Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 12.36.36 pm.png

The Marshall

Juniors
It's amazing the stuff you keep. Found this today while doing some spring cleaning. I think I was in year 10 when this happened. I was so excited about new jersey designs even back then. Went and bought one straight away and got a number put on. A double iron on number just like the players had... White underneath then blue on top. Made the Jersey so heavy. (No. 5 which ended up being Jack Elsegood then John Hopoate)
View attachment 24227
Could you imagine the meltdown today if a team changed colours to incorporate the same colours as the sponsor!

gzerounian

Juniors
Its funny though how over time the Manly Pepsi jersey has gone from being seen as a sellout (as per the article from 1993) to becoming quite iconic. People love it when they wear it as a heritage jersey. Much the same way that people love the yellow numbers that the Knights have on their heritage jerseys leftover from the Henny Penny days.

I guess if there were to happen again in todays era it would look something like this.
Which one is the lesser of 2 evils?

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 2.23.11 pm.png

LineBall

Juniors
Its funny though how over time the Manly Pepsi jersey has gone from being seen as a sellout (as per the article from 1993) to becoming quite iconic. People love it when they wear it as a heritage jersey. Much the same way that people love the yellow numbers that the Knights have on their heritage jerseys leftover from the Henny Penny days.

I guess if there were to happen again in todays era it would look something like this.
Which one is the lesser of 2 evils?

View attachment 24271

The jersey on the right had the better integration of the logo - but having the team's colours being changed by whoever is the sponsor at the time is criminal IMO. If NIB insists on the green, perhaps having just the Red/blue stripes with NIB in green letters would be best? Can you knock that up gzerounian?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The jersey on the right had the better integration of the logo - but having the team's colours being changed by whoever is the sponsor at the time is criminal IMO. If NIB insists on the green, perhaps having just the Red/blue stripes with NIB in green letters would be best? Can you knock that up gzerounian?
Generally apart from a reversed out white, most brands will never allow that kind of doctoring of their logo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Generally apart from a reversed out white, most brands will never allow that kind of doctoring of their logo.

Cash converters allow all sorts of colour variations to better integrate into sports kits designs, probably the best sponsor in the world in that regard

Harry-Manly

Juniors
46F1D49F-6A34-4AF6-9EF0-EC07AA5E65A4.jpeg
Here are some Manly ones I made up a few years ago before the 2017 season, would love to see the home one at least. It’s like our current but with solid double hoops and white sides. The away I did quickly although some of it is good imo. Away jersey with maroon shorts though.
CONCEPT
FEDB22BC-37FB-42C6-8CF3-5D2713CF2C5C.jpeg

Last edited:

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Watching the Tonga v Australia game... How much better does the crowd look when it is a solid single bright colour. Something we rarely see in the NRL. Closest is probably a few years ago when the Eels were all about yellow/gold or to a lesser extent the Raiders.

We have too many dark or neutral colours!

North Wales
219663708_Screenshot2018-10-20at10_48_42.png.4079ac9d9bcd3a6cd705bfd4570eb7c6.png

2006080715_Screenshot2018-10-20at10_49_14.png.a4f61bb98e706dcb224abf3f85ad0aec.png