What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Canard

Immortal
So looking at this post game interview, it looks like the debutant players are issued with a jersey that nominates their FOG #, and the date and location of their debut.

1654839273178.png

MugaB

Coach
Most likely, the NRL will dither & before a 2nd NZ team is announced, we'll see the "Auckland Bats" announced as a shock addition to Big Bash League cricket. ;)
Screenshot_20220610-173533_Samsung Internet.jpg
Not sure of it would best as New Zealand or Wellington or something else
Screenshot_20220610-173226_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20220610-173133_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20220610-173432_Samsung Internet.jpg

The Great Dane

First Grade
View attachment 62575
Not sure of it would best as New Zealand or Wellington or something else
View attachment 62576View attachment 62577View attachment 62578
I envision something a bit more mature and sleek, similar to this-
1000_F_244046019_tgqieqmhY1RNv51ZD0MP4U3TM4UoyLZi.jpg

BTW, in an ideal world wouldn't Wellington use the Orcas brand? It's a fine brand that doesn't need changing. Surely any new brand should be for Christchurch or another market in NZ.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I envision something a bit more mature and sleek, similar to this-
1000_F_244046019_tgqieqmhY1RNv51ZD0MP4U3TM4UoyLZi.jpg

BTW, in an ideal world wouldn't Wellington use the Orcas brand? It's a fine brand that doesn't need changing. Surely any new brand should be for Christchurch or another market in NZ.
That reminds me of the raiders first emblem.. looks like a sketch... or something that a pub uses to advertise... it works, just a bit ugly is all... went with Wellington purely coz its the capital city, also made a generic New Zealand one too

The Great Dane

First Grade
That reminds me of the raiders first emblem.. looks like a sketch... or something that a pub uses to advertise...
I think you are being incredibly harsh, especially considering that your logo isn’t exactly a thing of beauty…

Besides it’s just an example, it’s the reasoning behind the idea why you might want to do things that way that is important.
it works, just a bit ugly is all...
That’s kind of the point.

A gnarly, realistic, and scary image.

I think you are being incredibly harsh, especially considering that your logo isn’t exactly a thing of beauty…

Besides it’s just an example, it’s the reasoning behind the idea why you might want to do things that way that is important.

That’s kind of the point.

A gnarly, realistic, and scary image.
I actually like your logo but I think it’s more suited on a wine label or craft beer can, something funky like that. Too good for rugby league

Colk

First Grade
I actually like your logo but I think it’s more suited on a wine label or craft beer can, something funky like that. Too good for rugby league

I wouldn’t say it is too good for Rugby League but you’re right in that it just seems more akin to a craft beer or wine label or even a themed restaurant. In my opinion, it just doesn’t seem ideal for a sporting audience because it doesn’t seem particularly catchy or alluring for a sporting side.

I wouldn’t say it is too good for Rugby League but you’re right in that it just seems more akin to a craft beer or wine label or even a themed restaurant. In my opinion, it just doesn’t seem ideal for a sporting audience because it doesn’t seem particularly catchy or alluring for a sporting side.
That was the word I was looking for lol

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's not my logo, it's just one that I found on the internet made by Alexey Boychenko. I wouldn't use that exact design for a real team's logo.

The point was simply to show an image that was just the head and reasonably realistic, though obviously stylised, too give an idea of what you could do.

There're two main reasons (among many) why you might want to go down that route-

1. It provides flexibility as you can have a relatively high detail logo that will still be instantly recognisable and look good in avatars, thumbnails, and on social media in general, and it leaves room for a secondary logo that is simply an expanded full body version of the logo that could primarily be used for merchandising. Similar to the way a lot of American sports teams have primary and alternate logos that they use for different purposes.

2. It's relatively unique. If you copy the batman style silhouette trend then you'll just be one of thousands of bat logos that all look more or less the same. If you do something a bit different you'll stand out from the crowd and be able to create a more unique brand identity while still playing with the same themes.

Furthermore, creating something 'that isn't ideal for a sporting audience' isn't necessarily a bad thing. If there's a universal truth in all aesthetic artforms it's that it's better to set the trends than follow them. Sure it could fail, but you can always change it if it fails. However, if you create a new popular sports logo design motif then you'll be one step ahead of the pack before you've even really begun.

Colk

First Grade
It's not my logo, it's just one that I found on the internet made by Alexey Boychenko. I wouldn't use that exact design for a real team's logo.

The point was simply to show an image that was just the head and reasonably realistic, though obviously stylised, too give an idea of what you could do.

There're two main reasons (among many) why you might want to go down that route-

1. It provides flexibility as you can have a relatively high detail logo that will still be instantly recognisable and look good in avatars, thumbnails, and on social media in general, and it leaves room for a secondary logo that is simply an expanded full body version of the logo that could primarily be used for merchandising. Similar to the way a lot of American sports teams have primary and alternate logos that they use for different purposes.

2. It's relatively unique. If you copy the batman style silhouette trend then you'll just be one of thousands of bat logos that all look more or less the same. If you do something a bit different you'll stand out from the crowd and be able to create a more unique brand identity while still playing with the same themes.

Furthermore, creating something 'that isn't ideal for a sporting audience' isn't necessarily a bad thing. If there's a universal truth in all aesthetic artforms it's that it's better to set the trends than follow them. Sure it could fail, but you can always change it if it fails. However, if you create a new popular sports logo design motif then you'll be one step ahead of the pack before you've even really begun.

I agree that it is unique, at least within the parameters of a sporting team, and yes to be different or unique id more a positive than a negative when dealing with aspects of self expression or what is a determination of taste or beauty; however, I wouldn’t go so far as to suggest it is a universal truth in of itself.

For example, something can be completely standard or adhere greatly to form but could be well done in terms of the expression of that form; whereas something can be unique but not very well done, so any positives drawn from its unique aspect is totally overcome by its poor quality

As with any discussion on aesthetics; as opposed to something scientific or verifiable, it is purely on the basis of that individual’s perspective. For example, in order to qualify why I don’t particularly like this (and it is more about the idea that is being expressed rather than the way it is expressed), I find the idea of vampires and bats, whilst unique to sporting teams, completely overused and hackneyed within the sphere of popular culture. Thus, I don’t like the idea associated with a sporting team and it is probably the same reason why I don’t like the Pirates brand or idea.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I agree that it is unique, at least within the parameters of a sporting team, and yes to be different or unique id more a positive than a negative when dealing with aspects of self expression or what is a determination of taste or beauty; however, I wouldn’t go so far as to suggest it is a universal truth in of itself.
That's not what I said though is it...

I said that setting trends is better than to follow them is a universal truth, not that novelty for novelty's sake is universally a better outcome than copying the successes of others.

Just because you attempt to set a trend doesn't mean that you will be successful, nor does it mean that you should beat a dead horse if it's not working. As I said before 'sure it could fail, but you can always change it if it fails', and there's nothing wrong with that.
As with any discussion on aesthetics; as opposed to something scientific or verifiable, it is purely on the basis of that individual’s perspective. For example, in order to qualify why I don’t particularly like this (and it is more about the idea that is being expressed rather than the way it is expressed), I find the idea of vampires and bats, whilst unique to sporting teams, completely overused and hackneyed within the sphere of popular culture. Thus, I don’t like the idea associated with a sporting team and it is probably the same reason why I don’t like the Pirates brand or idea.
Marketing and branding are interesting art forms in that your brand being associated with other popular, successful, or just generally positive things, whether they be other brands/products, aesthetics, simple emotions, etc, etc, is generally a positive, not a negative.
Of course I'm simplifying quite a bit, but I'd have to write a whole essay if I didn't lol. One example though is that if you wholesale reproduce something then that will almost certainly fail for a number of reasons, but that's not at all what I'm suggesting in this case.

Brand association, brand awareness, and cross promotion are all incredibly powerful tools, too pretend that they are not, or that riding that wave is somehow selling out (for lack of a better term), is silly. You're also cutting yourself off from basically any motif or aesthetic that is popular in mainstream culture, and that's a mistake on face value.

Latest posts