What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Foge3JAaEAAkQzO

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not sure what you mean by shop produced, but these are official, and you should start to see them appearing at more stores soon.
oh I thought it was one of these online replica things. In that case they should have got the sponsor the right size! I wonder if the sponsor is in that weird rubbery stuff the original was in?

The Great Dane

First Grade
oh I thought it was one of these online replica things. In that case they should have got the sponsor the right size! I wonder if the sponsor is in that weird rubbery stuff the original was in?
They intentionally design the retro reissues to be slightly different from the originals to make it harder to pass them off as originals on the second hand market. That's why sponsors are often just a little bit off, the sleeve size and/or collar is wrong, buttons the wrong colour, etc.

There's been more than a few cases of people being scammed into paying big money for a reissue of a rare jersey in multiple sports, and it's in the interest of everybody involved to try and prevent that from happening as much as possible. So there's no point in whinging about the changes they make, because they do it for a good reason and they're not going to stop.

BTW, the sponsors on the retro jerseys are generally made of the same materials as the originals, which I actually think is stupid because they're highly perishable compared to modern methods, and it'd be a great way to differentiate them from the originals without making significant changes to the designs.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why is that? Is there a big market for these types of jerseys?
I'm not sure what you mean?

If you mean is there a big market for heritage/retro jerseys, and modern reissues of them, then yes there is, and I honestly can't believe that you're a footy fan and you've never encountered this before lol.

Originals are often worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars depending on the age and condition, the popularity of the design, how rare that particular design is, whether it's a supporters jersey, player issue, match used, signed, etc. The modern reissues are one of the NRL's biggest sources of revenue in their range of merchandise as well.

If you mean is there a big market for Western Reds jerseys in particular, then the answer is yes as well.

Original Western Reds jerseys, like all defunct club's jerseys and merchandise, are rare and highly desired by collectors. Getting one will put you back hundreds of dollars these days.

In saying that though, the NRL has never produced a heritage jersey for a defunct club from outside of Sydney before, so who knows how popular those will be. All I can say is I hope they sell because I'd like to see them produce more of them. I'd love a GC Chargers jersey that I can wear without fear of damaging it for example.

Colk

First Grade
I'm not sure what you mean?

If you mean is there a big market for heritage/retro jerseys, and modern reissues of them, then yes there is, and I honestly can't believe that you're a footy fan and you've never encountered this before lol.

Originals are often worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars depending on the age and condition, the popularity of the design, how rare that particular design is, whether it's a supporters jersey, player issue, match used, signed, etc. The modern reissues are one of the NRL's biggest sources of revenue in their range of merchandise as well.

If you mean is there a big market for Western Reds jerseys in particular, then the answer is yes as well.

Original Western Reds jerseys, like all defunct club's jerseys and merchandise, are rare and highly desired by collectors. Getting one will put you back hundreds of dollars these days.

In saying that though, the NRL has never produced a heritage jersey for a defunct club from outside of Sydney before, so who knows how popular those will be. All I can say is I hope they sell because I'd like to see them produce more of them. I'd love a GC Chargers jersey that I can wear without fear of damaging it for example.

I was referring the latter. I think I have seen one Western Reds jersey but I live in Newcastle so perhaps it would be strange to see a lot of them in my area.

steeden.

Juniors
They intentionally design the retro reissues to be slightly different from the originals to make it harder to pass them off as originals on the second hand market. That's why sponsors are often just a little bit off, the sleeve size and/or collar is wrong, buttons the wrong colour, etc.

There's been more than a few cases of people being scammed into paying big money for a reissue of a rare jersey in multiple sports, and it's in the interest of everybody involved to try and prevent that from happening as much as possible. So there's no point in whinging about the changes they make, because they do it for a good reason and they're not going to stop.

BTW, the sponsors on the retro jerseys are generally made of the same materials as the originals, which I actually think is stupid because they're highly perishable compared to modern methods, and it'd be a great way to differentiate them from the originals without making significant changes to the designs.
The giveaway on the original retro range was the Classic football logo on jerseys that weren’t made by Classic originally (looking at you: Broncos 1988 and 1992 jerseys). Nowadays there’s no manufacturer badge, which is a giveaway in itself. But different colours and sponsor placement is a much easier tell

steeden.

Juniors
Can’t wait for when a Chargers or Seagulls jersey gets the Retro treatment. Reds is a bit of a surprising pick for first up. I would’ve thought Chargers or Crushers would’ve been first. Particularly since XXXX don’t mind having their logo on the Cows 1995 retro

The Great Dane

First Grade
Can’t wait for when a Chargers or Seagulls jersey gets the Retro treatment. Reds is a bit of a surprising pick for first up. I would’ve thought Chargers or Crushers would’ve been first. Particularly since XXXX don’t mind having their logo on the Cows 1995 retro
Yeah it does seem pretty random.

Personally I would have thought that one or more of the GC teams would have been a better option considering that there's actually a GC side in the league, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

It's probably something to do with licensing, or maybe they believe there's more money in Reds jerseys than the others for whatever reason.