What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Nuke

Staff member
Mick Simmons, Jerseys.com.au, ect all selling replica 1995 Western Reds jerseys and shorts now.

Great, because my originals are: having sponsor peeling off and no sleeve sponsor (jersey), and the shorts are WAAYYY too small now. They were fine when I was 14, but I'm 41 now and yep, too small for this middle-aged man!

Phil Mann Stand

Juniors
They intentionally design the retro reissues to be slightly different from the originals to make it harder to pass them off as originals on the second hand market. That's why sponsors are often just a little bit off, the sleeve size and/or collar is wrong, buttons the wrong colour, etc.

There's been more than a few cases of people being scammed into paying big money for a reissue of a rare jersey in multiple sports, and it's in the interest of everybody involved to try and prevent that from happening as much as possible. So there's no point in whinging about the changes they make, because they do it for a good reason and they're not going to stop.

BTW, the sponsors on the retro jerseys are generally made of the same materials as the originals, which I actually think is stupid because they're highly perishable compared to modern methods, and it'd be a great way to differentiate them from the originals without making significant changes to the designs.
There was a person selling Parramatta retros as legitimate player worn jerseys. Adding numbers and dirtying them up. Then having the player sign them.😯

Reflector

Bench
They intentionally design the retro reissues to be slightly different from the originals to make it harder to pass them off as originals on the second hand market. That's why sponsors are often just a little bit off, the sleeve size and/or collar is wrong, buttons the wrong colour, etc.

There's been more than a few cases of people being scammed into paying big money for a reissue of a rare jersey in multiple sports, and it's in the interest of everybody involved to try and prevent that from happening as much as possible. So there's no point in whinging about the changes they make, because they do it for a good reason and they're not going to stop.

BTW, the sponsors on the retro jerseys are generally made of the same materials as the originals, which I actually think is stupid because they're highly perishable compared to modern methods, and it'd be a great way to differentiate them from the originals without making significant changes to the designs.
A way around the fraud would be to have the heat-pressed garment label (the one that usually appears down on the lower left hand side of the jersey) different from the heat-pressed labels on the originals.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Next Adelaide Rams, Chargers and Crushes heritage jersey.
It'd depend a lot on the licensing situation of each brand.

Take the Rams for example; Steve Mascord owns their IP now.

So the NRL and Sekem and/or Tidwell (the companies that currently produce the NRL's retro merch) would need to make a deal with him to produce any Rams merch, which, unless he's a very charitable or stupid man, would make them significantly more expensive to produce than other merch ranges. That extra cost would have to come out of somewhere, for example be passed onto the consumer, eat into profit, etc, you get the idea.

That extra cost alone will likely drastically reduce the odds of them ever looking into producing Rams merchandise, to the point that there's probably a better chance of Steve producing Rams retro jerseys than the NRL. Though if Steve produced them they'd almost certainly be without NRL/Super League badges and sponsorless, which is probably why he hasn't done it already, but I digress.

With the exception of the Seagulls I don't know about the current IP ownership of any of the other defunct clubs from outside of NSW. However I imagine that it makes at least a few of them much more difficult for the NRL to produce merch for, and I'd be willing to bet that it's a major reason why they haven't produced any merch for some of the potentially more lucrative ones yet.

Last edited:

steeden.

Juniors
It'd depend a lot on the licensing situation of each brand.

Take the Rams for example; Steve Mascord owns their IP now.

So the NRL and Sekem and/or Tidwell (the companies that currently produce the NRL's retro merch) would need to make a deal with him to produce any Rams merch, which, unless he's a very charitable or stupid man, would make them significantly more expensive to produce than other merch ranges. That extra cost would have to come out of somewhere, for example be passed onto the consumer, eat into profit, etc, you get the idea.

That extra cost alone will likely drastically reduce the odds of them ever looking into producing Rams merchandise, to the point that there's probably a better chance of Steve producing Rams retro jerseys than the NRL. Though if Steve produced them they'd almost certainly be without NRL/Super League badges and sponsorless, which is probably why he hasn't done it already, but I digress.

With the exception of the Seagulls I don't know about the current IP ownership of any of the other defunct clubs from outside of NSW. However I imagine that it makes at least a few of them much more difficult for the NRL to produce merch for, and I'd be willing to bet that it's a major reason why they haven't produced any merch for some of the potentially more lucrative ones yet.
Did a quick search on IP Australia and I didn’t realise Mascord had the Chargers (which the ARLC is opposing) and the Crushers.
ARLC owns the seagulls now though so I expect that’s next up. Tooheys has form on retros (Origin and Reds) so surely not a hurdle. And Seagulls Leagues are back sponsoring Tweed this year in the HPC so either of those as major sponsors could work

MugaB

Coach
Did a quick search on IP Australia and I didn’t realise Mascord had the Chargers (which the ARLC is opposing) and the Crushers.
ARLC owns the seagulls now though so I expect that’s next up. Tooheys has form on retros (Origin and Reds) so surely not a hurdle. And Seagulls Leagues are back sponsoring Tweed this year in the HPC so either of those as major sponsors could work
Giants in black and grey should be next, chargers aren't the 1st incarnation of the club, they are the 3rd, as much as the seagulls were iconic to GC, the jerseys were boring, except for that 7s jersey which was awesome, but giants was cool

steeden.

Juniors
Giants in black and grey should be next, chargers aren't the 1st incarnation of the club, they are the 3rd, as much as the seagulls were iconic to GC, the jerseys were boring, except for that 7s jersey which was awesome, but giants was cool
Agreed. The ARLC has the copyright again on the second of the two Giants logos so surely it’s out soon.
Chargers always seemed more iconic for that 90s teal and purple look though

MugaB

Coach
Agreed. The ARLC has the copyright again on the second of the two Giants logos so surely it’s out soon.
Chargers always seemed more iconic for that 90s teal and purple look though
There is no 2nd logo... there was only ever one

This one....Screenshot_20181002-141911_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

steeden.

Juniors
There is no 2nd logo... there was only ever one

This one....View attachment 70682
View attachment 70681
that’s true, but this one was used on trading cards and the like from memory

l_1989%20stimorol%20card%20201311230135.jpeg

MugaB

Coach
that’s true, but this one was used on trading cards and the like from memory

l_1989%20stimorol%20card%20201311230135.jpeg
Stimorol made that one picture as they also made these for each team busting out of their respective logos
s-l400-2.jpgimages.jpeg-141.jpg
Theres heaps more and each team has one but they aren't any of the nswrl team logos, none of them are official logos, all they were was footy cards pics

The two seasons of the Giants were 1988 and 1989 these are the only jerseys they wore and only had that first logo i showed you,
images.jpeg-143.jpgimages.jpeg-142.jpg
anything to do with the fist in the air was only footy cards, great pic tho,
images.jpeg-144.jpg

i created and old school version of this pic but with the titans for them to use as they pleased if there was any old boys days ever to come up in the future

20210717_042417.png
I incorporated the Giant, Seagulls, Chargers and obviously the Titans (being the giant) all in one logo

Last edited:

steeden.

Juniors
Stimorol made that one picture as they also made these for each team busting out of their respective logos
View attachment 70686View attachment 70687
Theres heaps more but they aren't any of the nswrl team logos, none of them are official, all they were was footy cards

The two seasons of the Giants were 1988 and 1989 these are the only jerseys they wore and only had that first logo i showed you,
View attachment 70689View attachment 70690
anything to do with the fist in the air was only footy cards, great pic tho,
View attachment 70688

i created and old school version of this pic but with the titans for them to use as they pleased if there was any old boys days ever to come up in the future

View attachment 70691
That’s good info. It’s interesting the ARLC has the copyright application on the gum logo and not the OG Giants. Looks like they’ve got an application in for the gladiators too

MugaB

Coach
That’s good info. It’s interesting the ARLC has the copyright application on the gum logo and not the OG Giants. Looks like they’ve got an application in for the gladiators too
Maybe they are trying to IP anything and everything, before someone like steve mascord does, as he recently aquired the defunct Adelaide Rams Logo/brand, and can now flog off their items.
Things like stimrol cards and classic pics brandings logos from in and around the game can be valuable if put to use the right way,

You know technically the stimorol fist in air giant logo actually is wearing a giants jersey with the old actual logo on its chest.. its not super clear but the runningman is there

Last edited: