What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

flippikat

Bench
It’s the sort of thing that means nothing to a lot of people but to collectors it’s like striking gold.

It’s a great jersey, too. The Reds got very lucky when Nike were handing out the Super League jersey designs.

Yep. The Reds & Sharks (same template) were reasonably good designs.

I liked the Cowboys Superleague jersey most of all, though - IMO their 2nd best jersey after the 1995 original design. Mind you, I'm a sucker for striped v & striped yoke designs.

1998 unreleased Super League jersey suttle changes to the design
images

images

1997 jersey

images

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Interestingly the actual jerseys worn on field didnt have the spsonsors. i cant find the photos right now but ill go looking, im pretty sure that photo is actually this particular jersey that i snagged last year

NaSqMEU.jpg

I think there was a video on Youtube that showed snipets of games from that tournament,

I believe they were grouped with PNG, Japan and Canada and played their group games in Brisbane.

I do recall seeing them play without a sponsor, and a young Andrew Duneman scoring a couple of tries. They mustve just lost Tooheys as their sponsor.

I wouldn't be surprised if the video was removed, given the NRL have stepped in and removed plenty. :mad::mad::mad:

flippikat

Bench
1998 unreleased Super League jersey suttle changes to the design
images

images

1997 jersey

images

Wow! Never seen the proposed 1998 SL design before.

First impression is it seems a little *too* heavy on the yellow.. but that's just because I'm used to seeing them downplay that colour over the last 20 or so years.

It could have been the start of a new direction for their look, emphasising navy & yellow.

Question to collectors - how do you nab all these rarer jerseys?

I've scored a couple on ebay over years but nothing rare. I know it's luck too but some of these jerseys are prototypes etc.

Previously tried to bid on player worn Souths but never succeed /outbid by a late bid type thing.

Been trying to score a Junior Tatola game worn home jersey but other than mugging him post match...

ComradePanda

Juniors
I've scored a couple on ebay over years but nothing rare. I know it's luck too but some of these jerseys are prototypes etc.

Ebay, Gumtree, Facebook Groups, connections to the right people, being in the right place at the right time.
I picked up a Souths Prototype from a Cowboys collector who had a connection at ISC.He didnt want to keep it because it didnt suit his collection, so i snagged it.

I know some collectors essentially harass current and former players to get stuff.

back to cool stuff:
I picked this up in an auction last year, bulk lot and the photos were terrible, with no detail but i scored a banger.

3NKH9iS.jpg

In Round 1 of the NSWRFL season in Ken Irvine is incensed after late knees in the back from a Canterbury player lead to an all-in but the only player sent off was one of Irvine's players, John McDonell.a game against Canterbury at Belmore,

John McDonell wore the number 8 that day.

Unfortunately i will never be able to confirm this is the jersey worn that day, but theres a bloody good chance its this one.

Ebay, Gumtree, Facebook Groups, connections to the right people, being in the right place at the right time.
I picked up a Souths Prototype from a Cowboys collector who had a connection at ISC.He didnt want to keep it because it didnt suit his collection, so i snagged it.

I know some collectors essentially harass current and former players to get stuff.

back to cool stuff:
I picked this up in an auction last year, bulk lot and the photos were terrible, with no detail but i scored a banger.

3NKH9iS.jpg

In Round 1 of the NSWRFL season in Ken Irvine is incensed after late knees in the back from a Canterbury player lead to an all-in but the only player sent off was one of Irvine's players, John McDonell.a game against Canterbury at Belmore,

Unfortunately i will never be able to confirm this is the jersey worn that day, but theres a bloody good chance its this one.

Yeah...can't see myself harassing players. Other than a Rams, I'm happy enough what I've collected.

And I can always admire others' collections.

kdalymc

Bench
That Mick Taplin bloke, perhaps he's one of you..., has about 5000 player worns, and some make you wonder why the player would ever give away such a rare jersey, he's been mentioned on here as a serial pest and what not but must be doing something right, or know alot of people high up...

I've tried for 5 years to get some Parra gear for a young fella in a wheelchair and cant get squat...

That Mick Taplin bloke, perhaps he's one of you..., has about 5000 player worns, and some make you wonder why the player would ever give away such a rare jersey, he's been mentioned on here as a serial pest and what not but must be doing something right, or know alot of people high up...

I've tried for 5 years to get some Parra gear for a young fella in a wheelchair and cant get squat...
Yes he has a great collection. But last year he bought two alleged match worn jerseys. I pointed out that they were retros made to look genuine. He got really upset with me and told me I had no idea what I was talking about but not in a nice way. Any way one of those jerseys was later advertised as used replica.

back to cool stuff:

3NKH9iS.jpg

I've heard that too that some collectors out there are just pests, they harass and annoy former players until they let jerseys go. I've got some rare jerseys and have had those collectors annoy me wanting me to let jerseys go for a low price.

hellteam

First Grade
I find it interesting how several suppliers made jerseys for each club in the 80s/90s (Peerless, M Sport, Canterbury, Goodfellows etc). Definitely not like that these days.

I find it interesting how several suppliers made jerseys for each club in the 80s/90s (Peerless, M Sport, Canterbury, Goodfellows etc). Definitely not like that these days.

That's because each manufacturers could buy the rights from the NSWRL and ARL to make jerseys, which is why we see jerseys from mid 80s through to 98ish for different manufacturers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Digging through my Reds collection Id forgotten how heavy cotton the old jerseys were. Fine in UK when we watched from the terraces in winter but must have been a bit stinking hot wearing them over here!

hellteam

First Grade
Digging through my Reds collection Id forgotten how heavy cotton the old jerseys were. Fine in UK when we watched from the terraces in winter but must have been a bit stinking hot wearing them over here!

Not to mention how massive they all were. I pulled out my 2005 school jersey the other day. Heavy cotton, long sleeves. Size XXXL, for a five eight's jersey!

sempmrh

Juniors
Not to mention how massive they all were. I pulled out my 2005 school jersey the other day. Heavy cotton, long sleeves. Size XXXL, for a five eight's jersey!

This is one thing I still don't understand. Why were rugby league jerseys worn so loose? I can understand players in the 90s and maybe into the 2000s not wearing skin tight jerseys like you see today - but why two or three sizes too big? It would just make it easier for you to be tackled.

Klim

Juniors
This is one thing I still don't understand. Why were rugby league jerseys worn so loose? I can understand players in the 90s and maybe into the 2000s not wearing skin tight jerseys like you see today - but why two or three sizes too big? It would just make it easier for you to be tackled.
In old days the jerseys were made out of cotton so they weren't made out of the synthetic material in which jerseys are made today. Current jerseys are made to absorb the sweat. The cotton jerseys were worn to prevent from sweating.

sempmrh

Juniors
The cotton jerseys were worn to prevent from sweating.

Cotton breathes, you see. It's much softer. Imagine playing games and your team is five degrees cooler than the other team. Don't you think that would be an advantage? They're cooler, they're more comfortable, they're happier - they're gonna play better.

Latest posts