1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Discussion in 'NRL' started by gzerounian, Jan 15, 2013.

1. flippikat

flippikat Bench

Yep. The Reds & Sharks (same template) were reasonably good designs.

I liked the Cowboys Superleague jersey most of all, though - IMO their 2nd best jersey after the 1995 original design. Mind you, I'm a sucker for striped v & striped yoke designs.

MugaB likes this.
  2. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion First Grade

1998 unreleased Super League jersey suttle changes to the design
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1997 jersey

[​IMG]

yakstorm, toomuchsoup and flippikat like this.
  3. PARRA_FAN

PARRA_FAN Coach

I think there was a video on Youtube that showed snipets of games from that tournament,

I believe they were grouped with PNG, Japan and Canada and played their group games in Brisbane.

I do recall seeing them play without a sponsor, and a young Andrew Duneman scoring a couple of tries. They mustve just lost Tooheys as their sponsor.

I wouldn't be surprised if the video was removed, given the NRL have stepped in and removed plenty. :mad::mad::mad:

4. flippikat

flippikat Bench

Wow! Never seen the proposed 1998 SL design before.

First impression is it seems a little *too* heavy on the yellow.. but that's just because I'm used to seeing them downplay that colour over the last 20 or so years.

It could have been the start of a new direction for their look, emphasising navy & yellow.

5. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Coach

Question to collectors - how do you nab all these rarer jerseys?

I've scored a couple on ebay over years but nothing rare. I know it's luck too but some of these jerseys are prototypes etc.

Previously tried to bid on player worn Souths but never succeed /outbid by a late bid type thing.

Been trying to score a Junior Tatola game worn home jersey but other than mugging him post match...

6. ComradePanda

ComradePanda Juniors

Ebay, Gumtree, Facebook Groups, connections to the right people, being in the right place at the right time.
    I picked up a Souths Prototype from a Cowboys collector who had a connection at ISC.He didnt want to keep it because it didnt suit his collection, so i snagged it.

I know some collectors essentially harass current and former players to get stuff.

back to cool stuff:
    I picked this up in an auction last year, bulk lot and the photos were terrible, with no detail but i scored a banger.

[​IMG]

In Round 1 of the NSWRFL season in Ken Irvine is incensed after late knees in the back from a Canterbury player lead to an all-in but the only player sent off was one of Irvine's players, John McDonell.a game against Canterbury at Belmore,

John McDonell wore the number 8 that day.

Unfortunately i will never be able to confirm this is the jersey worn that day, but theres a bloody good chance its this one.

GAZF, Smithtown and The Mad Hatter like this.
  7. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

when Nike manufactured jerseys in Australia!

yakstorm and steeden. like this.
  8. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Coach

Yeah...can't see myself harassing players. Other than a Rams, I'm happy enough what I've collected.

And I can always admire others' collections.

9. kdalymc

kdalymc Bench

That Mick Taplin bloke, perhaps he's one of you..., has about 5000 player worns, and some make you wonder why the player would ever give away such a rare jersey, he's been mentioned on here as a serial pest and what not but must be doing something right, or know alot of people high up...

I've tried for 5 years to get some Parra gear for a young fella in a wheelchair and cant get squat...

The Mad Hatter likes this.
  10. The Quest For Glory

The Quest For Glory Juniors

Yes he has a great collection. But last year he bought two alleged match worn jerseys. I pointed out that they were retros made to look genuine. He got really upset with me and told me I had no idea what I was talking about but not in a nice way. Any way one of those jerseys was later advertised as used replica.

11. Henson Park Hornets

Henson Park Hornets Juniors

This sh*ts me to tears. The top jersey is a fake, they've been hanging around on eBay etc for about 15 years. The collar, the SL 'S', sponsors are all tell tale signs that it's a very poorly made rip off.

Foreign Legion likes this.
  12. Henson Park Hornets

I've heard that too that some collectors out there are just pests, they harass and annoy former players until they let jerseys go. I've got some rare jerseys and have had those collectors annoy me wanting me to let jerseys go for a low price.

The Mad Hatter likes this.
  13. hellteam

hellteam First Grade

I find it interesting how several suppliers made jerseys for each club in the 80s/90s (Peerless, M Sport, Canterbury, Goodfellows etc). Definitely not like that these days.

14. Henson Park Hornets

That's because each manufacturers could buy the rights from the NSWRL and ARL to make jerseys, which is why we see jerseys from mid 80s through to 98ish for different manufacturers.

15. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Digging through my Reds collection Id forgotten how heavy cotton the old jerseys were. Fine in UK when we watched from the terraces in winter but must have been a bit stinking hot wearing them over here!

16. hellteam

hellteam First Grade

Not to mention how massive they all were. I pulled out my 2005 school jersey the other day. Heavy cotton, long sleeves. Size XXXL, for a five eight's jersey!

17. hellteam

hellteam First Grade

18. sempmrh

sempmrh Juniors

This is one thing I still don't understand. Why were rugby league jerseys worn so loose? I can understand players in the 90s and maybe into the 2000s not wearing skin tight jerseys like you see today - but why two or three sizes too big? It would just make it easier for you to be tackled.

19. Klim

Klim Juniors

In old days the jerseys were made out of cotton so they weren't made out of the synthetic material in which jerseys are made today. Current jerseys are made to absorb the sweat. The cotton jerseys were worn to prevent from sweating.

20. sempmrh

sempmrh Juniors

Cotton breathes, you see. It's much softer. Imagine playing games and your team is five degrees cooler than the other team. Don't you think that would be an advantage? They're cooler, they're more comfortable, they're happier - they're gonna play better.

toomuchsoup likes this.