What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

gzerounian

Juniors
Not sure if you're reinforcing my point, or missing it entirely.
Reinforcing in this instance. It was very similar to the manly vs tigers anzac match last week which I have already posted about in the other thread. Its just funny how we never had a pronlem with it in the past or maybe we did but there was just no internet back then. What I do have a problem with however is when an away jersey is used (specially in grand finals) just for the sake of using it.

GAZF

First Grade
Reinforcing in this instance. It was very similar to the manly vs tigers anzac match last week which I have already posted about in the other thread. Its just funny how we never had a pronlem with it in the past or maybe we did but there was just no internet back then. What I do have a problem with however is when an away jersey is used (specially in grand finals) just for the sake of using it.
When the NSWRL started up, 2/3 of the teams were running around in hooped jerseys, and the other 1/3 had plain ones. Over time, the surviving teams evolved their identities, while new teams brought their own styles to the table.

The biggest driver for these changes over time has been practicality. It was hoops and plain designs originally, because they were probably easier to produce using less advanced manufacturing methods, and the union teams that jumped ship were using those designs already. Then war comes along and designs shifted to conserve materials. Then broadcast TV shifts the way the game is watched, and a wider range of designs are required to distinguish teams better on a small screen. Then sponsor real estate changed design trends. Then expansion, which required further differentiation between teams. Then the reach of the game increases nationally/internationally, and the sport needed to cater to new audiences who weren't as familiar with the product.

The newest frontier is broadcasting to mobile devices, where visual accessibility is a genuine concern, particularly when new audiences - ultimately the sector that drives the game's growth are not as familiar with the product and its nuances. The need to provide clearly contrasting matchups has been building from the time the first game was broadcast on a black and white screen and has come to prominence in recent years.

While considering the above, the game and clubs need to consider the brand equity built up over the years and where practical, clubs should be wearing their primary uniform (which hopefully sticks to a core design in the mid to long term) as much as possible. Away/clash/secondary/alternate designs are the failsafe, in that they should be used when it isn't practical for both teams to wear their primary designs. Last night was not practical for both teams to have worn their primary designs, and it would have been worse if Souths wore their away design, and it can be argued that a red jersey wouldn't cut it either for a very specific reason.

Last edited:

kdalymc

Bench
mobile device
Surely this is a huge minority. I know its available and 'easy' but to be fair if your watching on a mobile you gotta be in dire straits, or out camping... Find a TV ffs...
And on TV, Souths v Raiders looked fine in 95, and still does now.

GAZF

First Grade
Surely this is a huge minority. I know its available and 'easy' but to be fair if your watching on a mobile you gotta be in dire straits, or out camping... Find a TV ffs...
And on TV, Souths v Raiders looked fine in 95, and still does now.
I can only assume that you responded on your Gateway computer, since you don't think that the device that's in every else's pocket hasn't and won't continue to change how the game is consumed.

I still watch most live games on TV, but pretty much all highlights are on the phone these days. Workmates are always watching live and delayed sport on their phones over lunch and dinner breaks.

Last edited:
Jersey-Home-Front-RLWC_1600x.jpg

https://us.ev2sportswear.com/collections/wheelchair-usa-hawks

RLWC 2021 Wheelchair USA Hawks